LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Need help with Yellow Dog Linux screen resolution (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/need-help-with-yellow-dog-linux-screen-resolution-510166/)

eclipticrider 12-13-2006 05:09 PM

Need help with Yellow Dog Linux screen resolution
 
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, and I couldn't find much with search so here goes...

I'm not completely new to linux, I used it for networking a little bit, and goofed around with fedora several times, but this is completely stumping me...

I just got YDL (yellow dog linux) installed on my PS3 last week and it works fine graphics are good and all the only problem is that all of the next is almost unreadable... I've tried several settings using ps3videomode -v # (# = resolution mode) but none of them seem to work at all, I get either unsupported video or the screen is blurred beyond readable. Then I have to restart to fix that and try again (very annoying)

The TV I'm using is a Samsung TX model 30" with HDMI, it supports 480p/i, 720p, 1080i resolutions.
the cable is a standard HDMI cable...

If anyone can help with this it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tomva 12-30-2006 01:53 AM

Hello-

When you boot up the PS3, it should pause a few seconds at the "kboot:" prompt. Hit <TAB> here and it should cycle through a few startup options.

In my case, there were a few ydl options. I'm using ydl-1080 (high resolution) which works fine on my screen, and if you've got HDTV I'm guessing it should work for you as well. There are a few other resolutions to try.

You could also try playing with /etc/xorg.conf, and tweaking the resolutions in the Display section (make sure you keep a copy of the original file around!). I haven't tried that for the PS3, but it has helped troubleshoot other systems with X resolution problems.

Good luck-

-Thomas

jblfan 01-02-2007 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipticrider
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, and I couldn't find much with search so here goes...

I'm not completely new to linux, I used it for networking a little bit, and goofed around with fedora several times, but this is completely stumping me...

I just got YDL (yellow dog linux) installed on my PS3 last week and it works fine graphics are good and all the only problem is that all of the next is almost unreadable... I've tried several settings using ps3videomode -v # (# = resolution mode) but none of them seem to work at all, I get either unsupported video or the screen is blurred beyond readable. Then I have to restart to fix that and try again (very annoying)

The TV I'm using is a Samsung TX model 30" with HDMI, it supports 480p/i, 720p, 1080i resolutions.
the cable is a standard HDMI cable...

If anyone can help with this it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ok, i read your post, and i am having the same problems, but with fedora 5. so, what i did was try what you tried with a little help from tomva. so, what i typed in was:

ps3videomode -v ydl-1080

now, im guessing that the ydl stands for yellow dog linux, and when i put in the ydl, it might not have mattered if it were there or now, but i didnt try it without it...so, in conclusion...try that and see what happens...if im off base here, let me know, im trying to learn all i can. im a slow learner, so its gonna take a few times of doing things for them to stick!!!

Later
Jblfan

jblfan 01-02-2007 09:32 PM

ok, i answered my own question....also, on another note, when i typed that in there, it was done at the kboot prompt...if i did it after the system had started up, it wouldnt display right, but as long as i did that before, i was fine....now, to figure out how to make it stick so that i dont have to keep doing it every time i want to load linux, that would be awesome.

eclipticrider 01-05-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblfan
ok, i answered my own question....also, on another note, when i typed that in there, it was done at the kboot prompt...if i did it after the system had started up, it wouldnt display right, but as long as i did that before, i was fine....now, to figure out how to make it stick so that i dont have to keep doing it every time i want to load linux, that would be awesome.

thanks for the help everyone I'll try these things when I get a chance and see what I get out of it... hopefully it will work and I'm sure there is a way to make that stetting stick after each boot, I've seen a few ways to do it but first I'll have to get my video settings right before I try that...

thanks again and I'll post my results when I can

vonedaddy 03-13-2008 08:58 PM

Has anyone figured out how to make this option on boot without typing it in everytime?

ThatReallySucks 08-28-2008 06:21 PM

Any update on this? I'm also having the same problem. I have YDL 6.0 installed on my PS3 and most everything looks good except the text. It looks slightly squished.

My TV is 1080i and I'm using a standard HDMI cable.

Ideas?

pbrandtnews 12-23-2008 10:15 PM

Decent screen display
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatReallySucks (Post 3263098)
Any update on this? I'm also having the same problem. I have YDL 6.0 installed on my PS3 and most everything looks good except the text. It looks slightly squished.

My TV is 1080i and I'm using a standard HDMI cable.

Ideas?

I found that my HDTV has multiple display modes. You might see if you are in wide, zoom, normal, etc, modes. Mine seems to work best whan I choose "normal" mode.

Hope that helps!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.