LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
abhisheks77
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
mail not working on RHEL 6.4


Hello,
On one of the server, mail is broken and I am not receiving it in my inbox. Can somebody help me on this ?
Code:
root@client1 $> /etc/init.d/postfix status
master (pid  17328) is running...
root@client1 $> ps -ef | grep 17328
root     17328     1  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/postfix/master
postfix  17330 17328  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u
postfix  17331 17328  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
root     20403 21207  0 12:02 pts/0    00:00:00 grep 17328
root@client1 $>
root@client1 $> cat /etc/postfix/main.cf
##################################################################
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = client1-prod.ddpoint.com
mydomain = lab.ddpoint.com
myorigin = $myhostname
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = localhost
inet_protocols = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
relayhost = [wkst-mail1-prod.ddpoint.com]
#relayhost = [smtp.office365.com]:587
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
         PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
#sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.10.1/samples
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES

root@client1 $>
root@client1 $> mail -s "test from ttdd" xxxxx.xxxx@ddpr.com
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
root@client1 $>
 
Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,069

Rep: Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573Reputation: 1573
mail not working on RHEL 6.4

If you're paying for it, Red Hat can. You should contact them instead.
 
Old 08-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 21,935

Rep: Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheks77 View Post
Hello,
On one of the server, mail is broken and I am not receiving it in my inbox. Can somebody help me on this ?
Code:
root@client1 $> /etc/init.d/postfix status
master (pid  17328) is running...
root@client1 $> ps -ef | grep 17328
root     17328     1  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/postfix/master
postfix  17330 17328  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u
postfix  17331 17328  0 11:56 ?        00:00:00 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
root     20403 21207  0 12:02 pts/0    00:00:00 grep 17328
root@client1 $>
root@client1 $> cat /etc/postfix/main.cf
##################################################################
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = client1-prod.ddpoint.com
mydomain = lab.ddpoint.com
myorigin = $myhostname
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = localhost
inet_protocols = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
relayhost = [wkst-mail1-prod.ddpoint.com]
#relayhost = [smtp.office365.com]:587
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
         PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
#sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.10.1/samples
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES

root@client1 $>
root@client1 $> mail -s "test from ttdd" xxxxx.xxxx@ddpr.com
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
root@client1 $>
Probably, but since you post NOTHING that would let us help you, we can't. You don't tell us whether this is a new problem, has this EVER worked, and if so, what's changed?? All you've posted is that you have RHEL 6.4 and that postfix is running....nothing about your environment, either. I see a relay host in a VERY small config file. Did you actually compile/install that config file? Restart Postfix afterwards? Configure the relay to accept mail?

Also, you've posted many threads in the past where you NEVER follow up; hard to see why we should try to help when you don't follow up, answer questions, or post details.

Last edited by TB0ne; 08-22-2018 at 03:11 PM.
 
Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
abhisheks77
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This is not correct. Out of total 21 questions, 7 are marked as SOLVED, 6 had 'last' reply from my side and few others were discussed with my responses as well and in few, I was asked to refer knowledgebase or contact support. This is not point of debate, but I was trying to find, what I missed. I do not have support for all servers, which is management thing and thats why I am looking for that help elsewhere, to fix the stuff.

Regarding this issue, it was a start of thread and provided OS and config. I want to give more details, but I would need to know, what is needed for you guys to help me, apart from this 'small' config. I do not have support for this server and I posted this question in "Linux - Newbie".

I am not sure, since when it was broken, it came to my notice recently.I didn't compiled/install config file. Yes, I restarted postfix. Relay is configured to accept mail.
 
Old 08-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 21,935

Rep: Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803Reputation: 5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheks77 View Post
This is not correct. Out of total 21 questions, 7 are marked as SOLVED, 6 had 'last' reply from my side and few others were discussed with my responses as well and in few,
Really??
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...is-4175636598/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ot-4175634187/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...el-4175615232/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-a-4175613952/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nd-4175608480/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ng-4175574450/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ut-4175574369/

...and more.
Quote:
I was asked to refer knowledgebase or contact support. This is not point of debate, but I was trying to find, what I missed. I do not have support for all servers, which is management thing and thats why I am looking for that help elsewhere, to fix the stuff.
Sorry, no. You need to pay for support if you're going to use commercial products. Many, if not all, of your RHEL related questions have bugfixes/solutions posted in Red Hat's knowledgebase, and you can get the bugfixes/patches/updates by **ONLY BY PAYING FOR SUPPORT**. Your 'management thing' is immaterial; if you are responsible for those servers, then it is up to YOU to take action within your organization and get things supported.

Again, if you use CentOS, it's 99+% identical, but FREE, and you WILL get the bugfixes.
Quote:
Regarding this issue, it was a start of thread and provided OS and config. I want to give more details, but I would need to know, what is needed for you guys to help me, apart from this 'small' config. I do not have support for this server and I posted this question in "Linux - Newbie".
Again, you've been posting for years, and are (supposedly) the administrator for MANY servers, both VM and physical, Linux and Solaris. You've been here for FOUR YEARS, and are doing this job professionally...and you are now claiming to be a 'newbie'???? And it seems odd that *EVERY* RHEL server you ask about doesn't have support, while all the others do.
Quote:
I am not sure, since when it was broken, it came to my notice recently.I didn't compiled/install config file. Yes, I restarted postfix. Relay is configured to accept mail.
You aren't sure when it was broken or if it ever worked??? Are you the administrator or not? You should KNOW what's going on, since you're paid to make sure your companies servers are working, right?? And if you are an administrator, you should know how to do troubleshooting, right??? Do you have:
  • Log files?
  • Config files?
  • An idea of the network topology between the servers in question?
  • Knowledge of the software versions?
  • Knowledge of how to install and CONFIGURE that software?
  • How to test the upstream relay server to see what it is ACTUALLY DOING? As in: do ANY other systems relay mail through it????
  • How to restart postfix to pick up the changes to the .cf file. Hint:"service restart postfix" doesn't do it.
...BASIC troubleshooting things. Things you've been asked for many times in the past...nothing new.

Again: you have posted no details about your environment, log files, or any troubleshooting tests that would indicate you've performed any testing on the mail environment as a whole, to see if the relay server is working correctly. As the 'administrator', you should also be aware that the relay server has to be configured as well, to ACCEPT emails from various hosts, and that DNS needs to be working for both systems reciprocally.
 
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 8,034
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485Reputation: 3485
@abhisheks77,

RHEL is a commercial distribution with paid for support. Please contact RedHat to help you resolve this issue.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LAN mail clients cannot send mail (receiving mail is working) rnturn Linux - Server 2 07-22-2015 11:53 PM
I m new to Linux ,need help to send mail with attachment via mail command Rhel 5.3 panks1910 Linux - Newbie 1 12-14-2012 12:56 PM
problem with Evoution mail working with ubunto linux system senting mail dan1369 Linux - Newbie 1 06-14-2009 11:55 AM
"mail" program not working to mail a user working at other host. stalin.varanasi Linux - Networking 5 09-16-2008 10:12 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration