LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
salimshahzad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: 15
Mac to ip address in linux box


hello

i am searching on google and net where mostly tools that find from ip to mac address resolve. but vice versa not find

how can i convert the mac address to ip. is there any software,utility and tools

i do have mac address 00E0D80D2D30

regards
 
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
vikas027
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, OS X
Posts: 1,275

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimshahzad View Post
hello

i am searching on google and net where mostly tools that find from ip to mac address resolve. but vice versa not find

how can i convert the mac address to ip. is there any software,utility and tools

i do have mac address 00E0D80D2D30

regards
There is no way of converting MAC to IP. Both are two different things.
MAC address is the address of the Ethernet Card which can not be changed
and
IP is something which you can change and defines your machine uniquely in a network.

Last edited by vikas027; 05-12-2010 at 05:45 AM.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
retired1af
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Distribution: VectorLinux 6 Standard
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas027 View Post
There is no way of converting MAC to IP. Both are two different things.
MAC address is the address of the Ethernet Card which can not be changed
and
IP is something which you can change and defines your machine uniquely in a network.

Actually, you can change the MAC address of your NIC. However, you are correct in stating that it can not be converted to an IP address.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,568
Blog Entries: 30

Rep: Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181Reputation: 1181
Perhaps "convert" is not the right word. From salimshahzad's other thread, the question might better be phrased "How to find out the IP address for a MAC address on the LAN?" and I think the answer is arp -n but I'm not sure, especially if the other device's IP is not on the same subnet or VLAN.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,986

Rep: Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
Perhaps "convert" is not the right word. From salimshahzad's other thread, the question might better be phrased "How to find out the IP address for a MAC address on the LAN?" and I think the answer is arp -n but I'm not sure, especially if the other device's IP is not on the same subnet or VLAN.
You're right, but if you use a span-port on the router/switch, or run something like Etherape (which does ARP-table poisoning), you can see things that aren't on your same VLAN/Subnet. But based on his other thread, he's trying to do this via a cross-over cable, which will give nothing. That device is probably trying to grab a DHCP address to configure itself, but it's isolated right now. And the OP never answered the other question about whether or not it has a USB port on it. It's just a UPS....
 
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
ajeetsinghraina
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04/8.04/8.10/10.04, RHEL 6, OpenSUSE,Mandriva,Fedora, CentOS, XandrOS, Slackware, OpenSolar
Posts: 155

Rep: Reputation: 55
Catkin..I do think the question should be the same.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
vikas027
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, OS X
Posts: 1,275

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1af View Post
Actually, you can change the MAC address of your NIC. However, you are correct in stating that it can not be converted to an IP address.
How can we change this, could you please elaborate me ?
 
Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,986

Rep: Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970Reputation: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas027 View Post
How can we change this, could you please elaborate me ?
Read the man page on ifconfig. Pay attention to the "hw" flag. You just specify the new HW (MAC) address on the command line.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,989

Rep: Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650Reputation: 1650
Use wireshark.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting MAC Address with C++ (Linux) silentangel Programming 7 11-03-2012 02:36 PM
Ethernet MAC Addresses database; MAC address-based processing cctualatin Linux - Newbie 1 04-14-2009 08:59 AM
MAC address from SUN Machine to Dell box cdestiny Linux - Networking 1 07-04-2008 02:28 AM
how to get ip address, broadcast address, mac address of a machine sumeshstar Programming 2 03-12-2005 04:33 AM
MAC address cloning in Linux sb73542 Linux - Security 1 08-02-2003 07:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration