LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   loads of rpms i dont want (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/loads-of-rpms-i-dont-want-257126/)

poiuytrewq 11-20-2004 03:29 AM

loads of rpms i dont want
 
in /var/spool/up2date there is about 300 mb of rpms and hdr files that i dont want, and my linux partition is out of space, can i just delete them? or are they needed by the system?
(some of the programs i have installed, but it seems a waste to have it installed and im rpm form)

(on FC1)

The_JinJ 11-20-2004 03:31 AM

Was given this advice before - just install whats not already and get shot of the rest

mkdir ~/RPMS
mv /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm ~/RPMS
rm -f /var/spool/up2date/*
rpm -ivh --test ~/RPMS/*.rpm

Look for errors relating to corrupt files, and delete any that are
corrupt.

mv ~/RPMS/*.rpm /var/spool/up2date
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/rm __db.*
rpm --rebuilddb

Double check the sources listed in "/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources".

up2date-nox --list

poiuytrewq 11-20-2004 03:46 AM

thanks for the help man, but i dont quite understand you.

1) on rpm -ivh --test ~/rpms/*.rpm, what exactly am i looking for?

2) first you say make sure everythign is installed and then delete it all, but your instructions say only to delete the ones with errors from the --test, am i reading the instructions wrong?

3) no clue ehat you are saying with the last 2 lines

The_JinJ 11-20-2004 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by poiuytrewq
thanks for the help man, but i dont quite understand you.

1) on rpm -ivh --test ~/rpms/*.rpm, what exactly am i looking for?

2) first you say make sure everythign is installed and then delete it all, but your instructions say only to delete the ones with errors from the --test, am i reading the instructions wrong?

3) no clue ehat you are saying with the last 2 lines

1) Tests the moved rpms to see if installed or there are any conflicts
2) There will be rpms there that are already installed, others you may want to install
3) Basically rebuilds the rpm list of packages and up2dates list so both know where they're at and whats installed etc

Hope it's a bit clearer now....

poiuytrewq 11-20-2004 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The_JinJ
1) Tests the moved rpms to see if installed or there are any conflicts
2) There will be rpms there that are already installed, others you may want to install
3) Basically rebuilds the rpm list of packages and up2dates list so both know where they're at and whats installed etc

Hope it's a bit clearer now....

perfect, yes i get it.

and after i have done all that then i delete what is left yes? rpms and headers?

p.s. thanks fro your help

The_JinJ 11-20-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by poiuytrewq
perfect, yes i get it.

and after i have done all that then i delete what is left yes? rpms and headers?

p.s. thanks fro your help

Whats left should be partial downloads, already installed stuff etc so it can be deleted :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.