LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Lonnie21
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

To All: Thank all of you so very much. My red x disappeared this morning; mid day the shield showed updates available. There was one, I clicked installed and apparently it worked. The shield went back to a check mark, the mgr showed my computer up to date. The check mark is still there. Apparently it fixed itself? Thanks again all of you! Lonnie
PS: I have started looking for a text book that would be good for linux mint users shows great detail explanations. Anyone have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Yawnstown, Ohio
Distribution: Mojave
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Glad it worked out, Lonnie.
 
Old 08-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #18
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,016
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie21 View Post
To All: Thank all of you so very much. My red x disappeared this morning; mid day the shield showed updates available. There was one, I clicked installed and apparently it worked. The shield went back to a check mark, the mgr showed my computer up to date. The check mark is still there. Apparently it fixed itself? Thanks again all of you! Lonnie
PS: I have started looking for a text book that would be good for linux mint users shows great detail explanations. Anyone have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Assuming that you are using Cinnamon, you could start with the official guide:

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentat...glish_18.0.pdf

There are quite a number of other books out there - just try to ensure that you get one that is for the Mint 18 range (i.e. up-to-date).

As the quest for a book or other teaching resources is a different question, you might be best creating a new thread about this.
 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #19
BSnow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2018
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
same problem

Am so new and my mint 18 .3 cannot refresh to install updates either.
 
Old 03-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,016
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSnow View Post
Am so new and my mint 18 .3 cannot refresh to install updates either.
You would probably have been better creating a new thread for this as it may be due to a different problem. But we'll carry on here anyway.

Have your updates worked in the past?

Please paste the output from inxi -r here (those are i's not l's).

Also, the output from apt update.
 
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
BSnow
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2018
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi Hydrurga, Thanks for responsing. Yes sure have posted in , did not know where to put it for sure, I thought about General. Anyway, I have had Linux for about 1 month and yes it was updating fine until about 1 week ago. I have no idea what to do when you said output from inx- r. What is inti , inx-r or apt update. Lost. I may be a lost cause . Baby steps , hopeful for your assistances . look forward, Respectfully, Barry
 
Old 03-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #22
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,016
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSnow View Post
Hi Hydrurga, Thanks for responsing. Yes sure have posted in , did not know where to put it for sure, I thought about General. Anyway, I have had Linux for about 1 month and yes it was updating fine until about 1 week ago. I have no idea what to do when you said output from inx- r. What is inti , inx-r or apt update. Lost. I may be a lost cause . Baby steps , hopeful for your assistances . look forward, Respectfully, Barry
Hi Barry,

The Newbie forum would probably have been the best bet. In fact, given that this thread is marked Solved, I would recommend that you create a new thread there now. Don't refer to this thread or to my answer, just start afresh with your original question plus the information that it was updating fine until a week ago.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Message when using Update Manager - [Linux Mint] dissposablehero Linux - Newbie 7 02-14-2017 06:58 PM
LXer: Synaptic Vs. Update Manager in Linux Mint LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-28-2014 09:56 PM
[SOLVED] Update Manager not working in Linux Mint 16 bumi Linux - Newbie 39 02-19-2014 11:55 AM
Update Manager - ERROR: "could not refresh the list of packages" Optiker Linux - Newbie 16 12-18-2013 09:44 PM
software manager not installing packages on linux mint 12 teja463 Linux - Newbie 2 03-30-2012 12:48 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration