LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
CaptNoize
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Linux lite


Hello to the Linux community..! I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. I have an Old Dell Dimension L1000R...it's in mint condition hardware wise. It's running a Pentium III,1Ghz processor,512 RAM maxed out.It's been running Windows XP for several yrs, but that's gotta go(never liked Windows) Anyway, I've been trying to install Linux Lite from a boot-able DVD disc.
After I start the computer,and it begins to boot,I see the Main Page for Linux Lite...then it goes to Linux Lite with four dots loading...then the screen goes white.The prompt then says "Unable To Find A Medium Containing a live file"...enter help...after I enter help...I get alot of command prompts.Nothing works.
I'm not a computer code guy,,,don't understand too much code. What should I do next.
BTW...I tried to install Legacy 2.1 LTS.
All it says is "Could not find Kernel Image: Linux
Discs are boot-able, with all files on them.Help...!
 
Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 9,242

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Did you do an md5 checksum on the iso of Linux Lite you downloaded before burning it to the DVD?
Did you select the option to burn as an image rather than copy to the DVD?
Do you have another computer available on which to try the DVD to see if it boots to eliminate that as a problem?
 
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142
Has md5sum of downloaded isos of Linux lite been done?
Was burns done at slowest possible burner speed on good cd/dvd disks (new)?

Your gear sounds underpowered a bit for Linux Lite in my opinion.

Code:
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: harry-Latitude-XT2 Kernel: 4.2.0-linuxlite i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude XT2
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HJ48R Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 05/07/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo U9600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6379
           clock speeds: max: 1601 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.0-linuxlite
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.5-k port: efe0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 180.0GB (30.3 used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: D2CSTK181M11 size: 180.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 8.6G used: 5.3G (65%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 157G used: 46G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 1:48 Memory: 648.8/5004.5MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
Below is my ram usage with a Browser open (Firefox) replying to your post.

Code:
648.8/5004.5MB
My pentium 3 IBM T23 laptop presently looks like this > I added a 512MB to bump that P3 to 1 gig of ram.

It makes a difference. So I recommend if you decide to Linux-Lite. At least bump the ram up from 512MB. If not. My screenshot is me running This

Just realize. The internet is out stripping Pentium 3 and you will have to learn some command line skills to overcome that limitation, In my Humble Opinion.

Happy Trailz, Rok

Edit: Yanek beat me to it

Last edited by rokytnji; 10-07-2015 at 07:20 PM.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
CaptNoize
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux-Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Did you do an md5 checksum on the iso of Linux Lite you downloaded before burning it to the DVD?
Did you select the option to burn as an image rather than copy to the DVD?
Do you have another computer available on which to try the DVD to see if it boots to eliminate that as a problem?
Didn't do md5 checksum,but ISOpro program that makes sure ISO files where downloaded and burned correctly. Burned as Image. I have another computer with a Pentium IV 1.8 GHz and 2 gig of ram to check it. Will try that tomorrow.Thanks ..!
Would you think Legacy would be a better fit for this older machine...? As far as me learning command line skills,..you're speaking Klingon... I'm clueless....
 
Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
CaptNoize
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Has md5sum of downloaded isos of Linux lite been done?
Was burns done at slowest possible burner speed on good cd/dvd disks (new)?

Your gear sounds underpowered a bit for Linux Lite in my opinion.

Code:
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: harry-Latitude-XT2 Kernel: 4.2.0-linuxlite i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude XT2
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HJ48R Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 05/07/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo U9600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6379
           clock speeds: max: 1601 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.0-linuxlite
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.5-k port: efe0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 180.0GB (30.3 used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: D2CSTK181M11 size: 180.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 8.6G used: 5.3G (65%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 157G used: 46G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 1:48 Memory: 648.8/5004.5MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
Below is my ram usage with a Browser open (Firefox) replying to your post.

Code:
648.8/5004.5MB
My pentium 3 IBM T23 laptop presently looks like this > I added a 512MB to bump that P3 to 1 gig of ram.

It makes a difference. So I recommend if you decide to Linux-Lite. At least bump the ram up from 512MB. If not. My screenshot is me running This

Just realize. The internet is out stripping Pentium 3 and you will have to learn some command line skills to overcome that limitation, In my Humble Opinion.

Happy Trailz, Rok

Edit: Yanek beat me to it
Checked the discs with md5sum check...both files were corrupted; redownloaded file and it installed. Do you think Linux Legacy would be a better choice...?
 
Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 9,242

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Do you think Linux Legacy would be a better choice...?
Do you mean Grub Legacy rather than Grub2. No, best to use what comes with the system especially if you are new to the whole thing.
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
CaptNoize
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Do you mean Grub Legacy rather than Grub2. No, best to use what comes with the system especially if you are new to the whole thing.
No,...I think it's puppy Linux,...it was designed for older machines with pentium 3 & 4's...with limited RAM....
 
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142Reputation: 3142
Having tested legacy myself.

If you prefer running that.


Make sure first you have land line Ethernet access as wifi support in Legacy OS can be a bit of work to get going.
 
Old 10-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu
Posts: 5,718

Rep: Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106Reputation: 2106
Pentium III and 512 MB is given as the minimum specification for Linux Lite, so it would run but perhaps slowly. For that computer, I think AntiX is the best bet, as the minimum requirements are Pentium II and 128 MB.

Puppy is not intended for very small computers, but as a portable system. Since it runs from RAM, it needs at least 512 MB.
 
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
CaptNoize
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for the input...! I will consider it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] linux lite 1.0.0 Steve W Linux Mint 7 02-09-2015 06:41 AM
LXer: Zorin OS 6 Lite - The Lite Fantastic LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-05-2012 09:40 AM
Installing Linpus Lite on Notebook I just downloaded the Linpus Lite Live CD from lin jaypee Linux - Software 6 04-30-2012 02:33 PM
LITE-ON in linux? garnser Linux - Hardware 1 09-14-2004 11:21 AM
Looking for Linux Lite rosscopeeko Linux - General 4 06-11-2004 05:23 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration