LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
byrd44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
linux centos 7 HELP


im renting a very high speed linux server box ....i installed 3 game servers ...all working great ...what i need is ..help making admins i have access to game server folders only ...minecraft being the main one...i understand i have to add users and groups but im lost ..and i use root myself and i know thats not good but im new to this ...i need a trusted linux person to access my server box and help fix my prob
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,398
Blog Entries: 27

Rep: Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405Reputation: 5405
Don't log in as root. Log in as user, then use su to become root.

You may be able to accomplish what you want by changing directory ownership or permissions or by adding users to the appropriate group. Users in the "wheel" group tend to have more power than simple users, for example.

I'm leaning to directory permissions as the most likely suspect, based on not much at all.

However, more information is needed. What exactly is it that you want users to be able to do that they cannot do now? (You may want to read this: https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...Ask_a_Question.) Indeed, you might bookmark the Arch Wiki; it's an excellent resource even it you don't use Arch.

To help you get started, you might want to look at this article from the Arch wiki about users and groups: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

Oh, and welcome to LQ.

Last edited by frankbell; 08-30-2017 at 09:34 PM.
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,484
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174
Hi & Welcome to Linux Questions.

Allowing anyone to access your server is a high security risk and an unwise practice all together.
-::-I strongly encourage you to do some reading and learn how to use the useradd or adduser commands.-::-

These links are a place to start.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...-command-line/
https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/tut...d-user-command
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzmiIPOTxI
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
byrd44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
more info on linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Don't log in as root. Log in as user, then use su to become root.

You may be able to accomplish what you want by changing directory ownership or permissions or by adding users to the appropriate group. Users in the "wheel" group tend to have more power than simple users, for example.

I'm leaning to directory permissions as the most likely suspect, based on not much at all.

However, more information is needed. What exactly is it that you want users to be able to do that they cannot do now? (You may want to read this: https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...Ask_a_Question.) Indeed, you might bookmark the Arch Wiki; it's an excellent resource even it you don't use Arch.

To help you get started, you might want to look at this article from the Arch wiki about users and groups: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

Oh, and welcome to LQ.
would you be willing to login my server and make me a user and ill change pass after ...so i dont gotta use root no more ...because last time i tried doing the user thing it would not work for me ...are there a way to PM you in here?
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
byrd44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
addusers thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Hi & Welcome to Linux Questions.

Allowing anyone to access your server is a high security risk and an unwise practice all together.
-::-I strongly encourage you to do some reading and learn how to use the useradd or adduser commands.-::-

These links are a place to start.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...-command-line/
https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/tut...d-user-command
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzmiIPOTxI
so if i use this sudo useradd -m olivia -p PASSWORD and change to a name and pass i want then what would my access to server box be? limited or full access?
 
Old 08-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd44 View Post
would you be willing to login my server and make me a user and ill change pass after ...so i dont gotta use root no more ...because last time i tried doing the user thing it would not work for me ...are there a way to PM you in here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd44 View Post
so if i use this sudo useradd -m olivia -p PASSWORD and change to a name and pass i want then what would my access to server box be? limited or full access?
Strongly suggest you read this: https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux..._and_be_secure

and: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
 
Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
byrd44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
not resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post

not resolved but i will mark resolved when i read enough on advice given thanks in advance

when i adduser and pass ...it takes the user in putty but says access denied when i put my pass in ...trying to figure out whats wrong ....still reading up on it
 
Old 08-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,484
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd44 View Post
not resolved but i will mark resolved when i read enough on advice given thanks in advance

when i adduser and pass ...it takes the user in putty but says access denied when i put my pass in ...trying to figure out whats wrong ....still reading up on it
Are you operating with root privileges first before using the adduser command?

What distribution are you using?
 
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
byrd44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Are you operating with root privileges first before using the adduser command?

What distribution are you using?
go in as root then do adduser and chmod the user to the group folder

centos 7 updated fully


now i can use the user name i made to view any folder but i want same as root privleges thank you
says i dont have
 
Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 7.7 (?), Centos 8.1
Posts: 17,862

Rep: Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598
You could try this https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-...s-on-centos-7/ but be aware that even via sudo, once someone is in as root, they own that machine.
Really don't let anyone you can't trust in as root.
MUCH better to get them to teach you how to fix your problems yourself.
In fact, that is what LQ is here for.
HTH
 
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,484
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174Reputation: 1174
Quote:
now i can use the user name i made to view any folder but i want same as root privleges thank you
If you want the regular user of the system to view any folder than you will have to give that user permission to do so.

There is something called r-read, w-write and x-executable permissions.

You can specify who is allowed to read the file, write to the file or, if it is an application instead of a text file, who can execute the file.

https://www.centos.org/docs//2/rhl-g...ownership.html

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/fi...ions-reference
https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ownership.html
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Install CentOS Web Panel on a CentOS 6 Linux VPS LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-24-2015 10:42 AM
[SOLVED] NFS on CentOS 6 can talk to Centos 5 but not Centos 6 clients deathsfriend99 Linux - Server 2 11-08-2013 02:33 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration