LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,863

Rep: Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Sorry, but I fail to see the whole point of this discussion. The command is cls on Windows and clear on Linux. Full stop. If you are not able to handle those two simple commands when you have to work on both systems, how do you handle more complex commands? Isn't it counterproductive to set it up that way (thinking that it tricks your brain to assume you are on a Windows machine when you actually are not, just because a few Windows commands work)?
That's what I meant by confusing other users by doing it.
Edit: My apologies, I did say "mess things up for other users" earlier so was being a little silly in my phrasing, making it sound like a problem rather than a preference.

Last edited by 273; 03-19-2012 at 04:23 PM.
 
Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
TBOne,

The easiest way has already been given in 2nd and 4th post.
 
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Master_CAPS
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: I live at ::1 usually...
Distribution: Yes.
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wow you guys really into this stuff...
I just cassualy use linux as a dual boot off windows 7. I pretty much know nothing about linux and the termianl and found this helpfull to me (which is why I posted it in the newbie section)

I (hopefully not anyone) would change stuff like this if it was a system wide event like a main server... that is dumb, but its just for people with one computer, and doesnt know much about .bashrc (I never even kew it was there)

CLS is actually better if you think about it, (it doesnt mean your too dumb for even the simple things...) I hate to keep typing clear its un-comfortable... maybe ill just make it clearthisprompt who cares if you like it, use it. if not errrrrrr
 
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
deleted.
 
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,552

Rep: Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_CAPS View Post
Wow you guys really into this stuff...
I just cassualy use linux as a dual boot off windows 7. I pretty much know nothing about linux and the termianl and found this helpfull to me (which is why I posted it in the newbie section)

I (hopefully not anyone) would change stuff like this if it was a system wide event like a main server... that is dumb, but its just for people with one computer, and doesnt know much about .bashrc (I never even kew it was there)

CLS is actually better if you think about it, (it doesnt mean your too dumb for even the simple things...) I hate to keep typing clear its un-comfortable... maybe ill just make it clearthisprompt who cares if you like it, use it. if not errrrrrr
The parts highlighted in bold are the reasons why you should be putting this in your startup script, and not in a system-wide bin folder. As I said before, what if somebody else uses this system and wants "cls" to do something completely different than what you want it to do?

What if you get used to using cls all the time, and then set up a new server, or get access to another server? Are you going to request root access so you can stick your cls script into the system's bin? What if you use Linux quite a bit, and end up with 15 or 20 of these little one-liners in your bin folder? Are you going to scp all of them over to each machine you start to use, requiring root access for all of them?

It's so much easier and simpler to put a quick alias in your startup script. If you move to a new machine, scp your old startup script over and you're done. No root access required, and one easy startup script that contains all of these little tweaks.
 
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,258

Rep: Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
TBOne,
The easiest way has already been given in 2nd and 4th post.
No, ONE easy way of doing it has been given in those posts. Others have also been given. And again, please stop posting what others have already posted.

There are pros and cons for ANYTHING. What I prefer on systems I administer may be different than what someone else prefers. BOTH methods work, and BOTH are equally effective (and pointless). I've never had a problem with using 'cls' system wide (in over 20 years of being an admin), and never have written a script that calls a clear or cls. Don't like the ln method? Don't use it. Simple.
 
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
Quote:
And again, please stop posting what others have already posted.
What I have posted again, that others have posted?

And ofcourse both methods work equally and effectively. And wouldn't it be good that the easiest method to use, saving time also. It depends on individual how they want to use a command. I just put my point of view. That's it!
 
Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,258

Rep: Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
What I have posted again, that others have posted?
This is not the thread or place to get into that. I suggest you look at your previous posts (not only in this thread), and find out.
Quote:
And ofcourse both methods work equally and effectively. And wouldn't it be good that the easiest method to use, saving time also. It depends on individual how they want to use a command. I just put my point of view. That's it!
Not sure what you mean by that sentence, as it's a bit confusing.
 
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
Master_CAPS
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: I live at ::1 usually...
Distribution: Yes.
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
The parts highlighted in bold are the reasons why you should be putting this in your startup script, and not in a system-wide bin folder. As I said before, what if somebody else uses this system and wants "cls" to do something completely different than what you want it to do?

What if you get used to using cls all the time, and then set up a new server, or get access to another server? Are you going to request root access so you can stick your cls script into the system's bin? What if you use Linux quite a bit, and end up with 15 or 20 of these little one-liners in your bin folder? Are you going to scp all of them over to each machine you start to use, requiring root access for all of them?

It's so much easier and simpler to put a quick alias in your startup script. If you move to a new machine, scp your old startup script over and you're done. No root access required, and one easy startup script that contains all of these little tweaks.
So many what if's if cls isn't usable to some one than they can go cry about it elsewhere, there is olny an indefinite amount of other aliases out there, besides its my server... and if i were to use some one else's server with out a CLS than it would be quite easy to type CLEAR for the time being... And the only /bin modification I would be doing is on my own system...
 
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that sentence, as it's a bit confusing.
That was the simple english and you didn't understand?
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,258

Rep: Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
That was the simple english and you didn't understand?
Just because you used English words, doesn't mean it was an understandable sentence.

Last edited by TB0ne; 03-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
Satyaveer Arya
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Palm Island
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Solaris 10
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305Reputation: 305
Quote:
Just because you used English words, doesn't mean it was an understandable sentence.
Aaaahhhhh.... I know that. Just leave it.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,258

Rep: Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyaveer Arya View Post
Aaaahhhhh.... I know that. Just leave it.
If you knew it, why did I have to explain it to you?? You've been asked by myself and others to stop repeating what others have already posted, but you continue.

Please read previous replies to an OP's question, and if the advice has already been given, don't post it again.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
Sydney
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Scientific Linux
Posts: 147

Rep: Reputation: 36
I like ctrl and the letter l in Linux to clear the screen. Maybe that will be more convenient for some.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,863

Rep: Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959Reputation: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
I like ctrl and the letter l in Linux to clear the screen. Maybe that will be more convenient for some.
Thanks, I didn't know that despite coming into contact with unix and unixalikes for years. I think I prefer that to the muscle-memory typing it twenty times method.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
typing Faster Typing Tutor Maurice Arthur Ubuntu 3 12-14-2011 02:52 PM
tutorial for CLS charlie_lab Calculate 5 08-16-2010 06:15 AM
CLS to CLD? ManfredB Calculate 1 09-22-2009 03:55 PM
how do i replace the clear "clear screen" with the cls command thefedexguy SUSE / openSUSE 2 12-02-2005 06:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration