LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
Katy8989
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
What's a domain?

Anyway, the distros you tried are sure not the lightest. The fastest distro I've seen is Arch, but it's definitely not for Linux newbies, unless they are really good with computers and are very interested in learning Linux.
Any recommendations for a newbie? My only requirements are speed and that it will stream online videos and radio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awatto View Post
To anyone who thinks these distros won't run well on a computer with this old hardware:

I run Ubuntu 10.04 on a computer with a celeron 1.5ghz and 512 ram and it runs fine.

I'd say this is more likely hardware issues, or just the simple fact that adobe flash on full screen is absolutely terrible on linux.

Browsers should not be "slow" and "crashing frequently" out of the box for this user unless they are visiting websites with a bunch of flash (which won't be fixed on linux by anything short of getting a new computer) or hardware/configuration issues.
I don't visit websites with a load of flash. It's not just the browser that's ridiculously slow. It's even opening folders and stuff like that. Perhaps it is a hardware problem. But what would be the reason for so much online media not working? YouTube videos are okay, but all TV catch-up sites just don't work. Should I go with Linux Mint 10 LXDE? My friends are losing patience with me asking for so many CDs to be burnt...

Last edited by Katy8989; 03-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
szboardstretcher
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Distribution: GNU/Linux systemd
Posts: 4,211

Rep: Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awatto View Post
To anyone who thinks these distros won't run well on a computer with this old hardware:

I run Ubuntu 10.04 on a computer with a celeron 1.5ghz and 512 ram and it runs fine.

I'd say this is more likely hardware issues, or just the simple fact that adobe flash on full screen is absolutely terrible on linux.

Browsers should not be "slow" and "crashing frequently" out of the box for this user unless they are visiting websites with a bunch of flash (which won't be fixed on linux by anything short of getting a new computer) or hardware/configuration issues.
Speaking from my personal experience with a notebook (Dell Vostro) with a Pentium M, 512M ram: KDE and Gnome run slowly. Very, Very, Very slowly. Therefore I replaced the install with Tinycore and have had more success and speed.

Speaking from my personal experience with my Dell XPS 1640 with a core Duo, 4GB of DDR3, and a Mobile radeon, running Fedora 14 32bit: Flash runs excellent in a window and fullscreen.

IMO; the OP should try some smaller footprint distros and compare.
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
szboardstretcher
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Distribution: GNU/Linux systemd
Posts: 4,211

Rep: Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy8989 View Post
Any recommendations for a newbie? My only requirements are speed and that it will stream online videos and radio!



I don't visit websites with a load of flash. It's not just the browser that's ridiculously slow. It's even opening folders and stuff like that. Perhaps it is a hardware problem. But what would be the reason for so much online media not working? YouTube videos are okay, but all TV catch-up sites just don't work. Should I go with Linux Mint 10 LXDE? My friends are losing patience with me asking for so many CDs to be burnt...
Get a 5$ flash drive, download any ISO's you like, and use Fedora's USB creator to install them to the USB:

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Katy8989
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by szboardstretcher View Post
Get a 5$ flash drive, download any ISO's you like, and use Fedora's USB creator to install them to the USB:

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

I don't have a USB creator on Mint, and it will take years to install. And my friend's Mac only burns to CD/DVD. She's a bit wary about suggesting software I suggest (fair enough, given the mess I've made of my laptop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szboardstretcher View Post
Speaking from my personal experience with a notebook (Dell Vostro) with a Pentium M, 512M ram: KDE and Gnome run slowly. Very, Very, Very slowly. Therefore I replaced the install with Tinycore and have had more success and speed.

Speaking from my personal experience with my Dell XPS 1640 with a core Duo, 4GB of DDR3, and a Mobile radeon, running Fedora 14 32bit: Flash runs excellent in a window and fullscreen.

IMO; the OP should try some smaller footprint distros and compare.
Which distro should I try? That will work with BBC iPlayer etc?

I've had a suggestion that installing the correct drivers for my video card will improve things? What do you guys think?

Edit:

Seems a lot faster with Linux Mint 10 LXDE! Still not solved my BBC iPlayer/other videos problem though

Last edited by Katy8989; 03-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad hd on a laptop nigelc General 3 02-17-2010 06:14 AM
Can I install Puppy Linux 4.1.2 on my laptop if the hard drive is bad? If so, how? Jsturm Linux - Laptop and Netbook 11 03-05-2009 05:55 PM
LXer: Don’t confuse bad Linux support for bad Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-02-2008 11:00 PM
need help bad for compaq laptop coma Linux - Laptop and Netbook 3 05-16-2005 05:09 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration