LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by introuble View Post
Sure, and then perhaps he'll go for one of the BSDs. I don't know why Linux would be the best OS to take care of the problems you've mentioned.
My good friend, I never excluded the BSDs from the argument. There's nothing wrong with BSD, I've tried them and they work quite well, but I prefer Linux. So what ?

@ OP

If you don't want to use Linux or BSD or OpenSolaris, etc. then don't. There are many reasons to change to them, you just need to do a bit of research. If these reasons don't seem compelling, then don't switch. Simple.
 
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
I have been toying with the idea of a Linux desktop for years, but now that I have been trying it for 2 weeks, I am uncertain as to what precisely is the draw, for me at least. I always thought I would be thrilled with it once I did it, but I am just not sure. I am trying to determine what precisely it is that I am gaining by switching to Ubuntu. I am unfortunately drawing the conclusion that I have not actually gained anything much and I about ready to switch back to Windows.

Realize that I was indeed expecting and HOPING that I would be very happy with it, but I'm not really thus far.

I have two PCs on my desktop presently:

1. A 3G single core machine with 512M RAM running Windows 2K
2. A 2G dual core with 2G RAM running Ubuntu Gutsy

Windows Pros:

1. UltraEdit is an excellent editor and I know it well
I don't know it, have never used it, so can't say what
reasonable replacement may be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
3. IrfanView is an excellent image view/simple editor
For viewing and simple edits (rotation, primarily) I find
gqview very handy. Come across that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
1. I tried to open a large SQL dump in gedit and my PC choked on it--Quanta performed even worse. I opened it in UltraEdit in Windows with no problem whatsoever. Note that my Windows machine has a quarter the RAM as well. And the Ubuntu machine was using (according to the System Monitor) under 1G RAM at the time.
I've used vim to edit large files (~ 400MB) w/ no issues. How
large was the one you tried?


Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
2. Seems to me that switching windows via clicking on the taskbar is faster in Windows

3. Overall it seems that Win 2K is faster than Ubuntu. Perhaps some empirical studies are necessary, but that's how it feels. Strikes me as odd, as well, because my Ubuntu machine's hardware is a lot better.
I cannot confirm this, but then I don't use neither ubuntu nor gnome,
but rather slackware and fluxbox.


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 8,697
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028Reputation: 3028
I've never tried to "choose between" Windows and Linux. In my office I've got systems that run both, and a hard-working Macintosh (and an iPhone! yay!). So that makes four systems.

Each computer is a tool to do-things with. Nothing more or less. The operating-system type is just an operational characteristic; it's there because it suits a particular purpose, whatever that is.

No modern computer is categorically "insecure," nor inferior to the others. Just make sure that you're not running as an Administrator on a Windows box; or as 'root' on Unix/Linux. Keep your head about you at all times.

It has definitely been to my professional advantage to have learned Linux, and to have learned it very well, because there's a lot of stuff out there that's happening in Linux/Unix environments. I would categorically assert that everyone in this business (or who hopes to be) must learn Linux. But it's not a "choose between" choice.
 
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #19
mipia
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: lake michigan
Distribution: Debian, Mint, Slackware
Posts: 457

Rep: Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
  • Does not feed what is arguably the biggest monopoly ever spawned in the capitalist world.
I agree, Apple is not substitute for a well oiled Gnu desktop.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
FredJones
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Distribution: ArchLinux 64 bit (with Openbox and fbpanel)
Posts: 122

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Thank you

Thank you to everyone who wrote. I am continuing now with Linux and I will be back here I think.

Thanks.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
I have been toying with the idea of a Linux desktop for years, but now that I have been trying it for 2 weeks, I am uncertain as to what precisely is the draw, for me at least. I always thought I would be thrilled with it once I did it, but I am just not sure. I am trying to determine what precisely it is that I am gaining by switching to Ubuntu. I am unfortunately drawing the conclusion that I have not actually gained anything much and I about ready to switch back to Windows.

Realize that I was indeed expecting and HOPING that I would be very happy with it, but I'm not really thus far.

I have two PCs on my desktop presently:

1. A 3G single core machine with 512M RAM running Windows 2K
2. A 2G dual core with 2G RAM running Ubuntu Gutsy

Windows Pros:

1. UltraEdit is an excellent editor and I know it well
Kate
Quote:
2. SQLyog is a fantastic MySQL GUI and I have not found an equal to it for Linux
I use phpmyadmin for all mysql administration. Requires you to run apache and use a web browser but so what.

Quote:
3. IrfanView is an excellent image view/simple editor
kolourpaint if you want simple editing capability. gwenview or gqview are both very nice viewers.
Quote:
4. Version 2.3 of FileZilla is actually better IMO than version 3. Only version 3 is available for Linux however
I don't use it so can't help you. There are a lot of choices in KDE however and it seems to me that yuo would have to find something you like.

Quote:
Ubuntu Pros:

1. It's Linux
2. It's not MS
3. I can customize my desktop and entire environment
Or try another distro

Quote:
Other issues:

As far as viruses, I have only gotten one in 9 years of using Windows. I don't use a MS mail client and I don't browse with IE (except for sites I myself built) and so for me personally, I don't think this is much of an issue. Some years I run anti-virus, some years not. I recall very few instances that an anti-virus actually caught a real virus anyhow.
I don't even run AV software on my XP and Win2K systems; as you say, being a bit intelligent about how you do it is good enough.

Quote:
A few other issues I am having:

1. I tried to open a large SQL dump in gedit and my PC choked on it--Quanta performed even worse. I opened it in UltraEdit in Windows with no problem whatsoever. Note that my Windows machine has a quarter the RAM as well. And the Ubuntu machine was using (according to the System Monitor) under 1G RAM at the time.
These editors are trying to load the whole thing into ram. Try an editor that will work with pages taken from disk, such as emacs.

Quote:
2. Seems to me that switching windows via clicking on the taskbar is faster in Windows

3. Overall it seems that Win 2K is faster than Ubuntu. Perhaps some empirical studies are necessary, but that's how it feels. Strikes me as odd, as well, because my Ubuntu machine's hardware is a lot better.
I don't have that experience. You might check to see if you have some process running in linux that is hogging the CPU.

Quote:
I tried Hardy, but I found it buggy. Perhaps because I used the 64 bit version. Anyway it didn't work well for me so I have Gutsy now. I have read now that Hardy may be faster.

I am not sure what to do now. My other tools I have found suitable replacements for in Linux, but I can't really think of any that I think are truly better.
Whether you will find a "better" tool just depends on your definition of better. There is a lot of work done on Windows tools and most of them are quite good. Finding acceptable or as good as alternatives in Linux, realistically, is usually all you can expect.

I suggest you look at some other distros.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #22
FredJones
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Distribution: ArchLinux 64 bit (with Openbox and fbpanel)
Posts: 122

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8 View Post
Kate
Yes, I was recommended that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8 View Post
I use phpmyadmin for all mysql administration. Requires you to run apache and use a web browser but so what.
Of course I have LAMP locally but SQLyog is a LOT faster and easier to use than phpmyadmin. Works fine in Wine however.

For FTP I am finding FireFTP looks pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8 View Post
I suggest you look at some other distros.
Any suggestions?
 
Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #23
SlowCoder
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Southeast, U.S.A.
Distribution: Fedora (Desktop), CentOS (Server), Knoppix (Diags)
Posts: 934

Rep: Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
Thank you to everyone who wrote. I am continuing now with Linux and I will be back here I think.

Thanks.
You've only been working with it for 2 weeks. Right now, all you really know is Windows. 2 weeks does not give you much time to get to know it.

Suppose you've never used Windows before. You buy a computer with *gag* Vista. It'll take you much longer than 2 weeks to figure it out. Give Linux a chance.

Good luck.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
grym
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Distribution: Gentoo/Slackware/Debian/Mandrake
Posts: 285

Rep: Reputation: 30
New Distro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post

Any suggestions?
Depends on what you want to accomplish. You want to learn linux you would do well to try Slackware or LFS. Currently I primarily use Sidux for desktop systems and have been quite happy with it.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,417

Rep: Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397
Suggestions wise, the usual answer is to checkout the top 10 or so as listed on distrowatch.com.
Incidentally, Slowcoder makes a good point, MS only seems easier because you've used it for so long.
I've seen test report articles where they get totally new/'never used a computer before' people in to test a new release of MS and the supervisors get surprised because they're so used to MS quirks that they don't notice them, but the virgin testers certainly do.
Of course this would be true of any OS.
In short, hang in there and keep asking qns.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones View Post
Yes, I was recommended that.



Of course I have LAMP locally but SQLyog is a LOT faster and easier to use than phpmyadmin. Works fine in Wine however.

For FTP I am finding FireFTP looks pretty good.



Any suggestions?
For FTP, I use ncftp. It is command line, not windowed, but I just don't like any of the windowed ftp clients I have seen - on either linux or windows.

The ftp connection is a shell-like connection and using a command line client just seems easier to me.

As for distros, as others have said you should take a look at the top distros on distrowatch and make your choice. Personally, I have used Mandriva since Mandrake 7.2, and I just keep upgrading. I never reinstall, and a couple of times the upgrades have been exciting, but right now I am at a very robust Mandriva 2008. I develop in it, surf with it, do everything with it. Works for me.
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #27
ehawk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,257

Rep: Reputation: 48
pclinuxos is another very newbie-friendly distribution. Perhaps it would be a little snappier than ubuntu, don't know:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...22&btnG=Search
 
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #28
FredJones
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Distribution: ArchLinux 64 bit (with Openbox and fbpanel)
Posts: 122

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Thank you.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration