LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Installing Broad-com wireless drivers on Kali Linux (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/installing-broad-com-wireless-drivers-on-kali-linux-4175456408/)

Rootpane 04-01-2013 03:13 PM

Installing Broad-com wireless drivers on Kali Linux
 
Hello I have my drivers in my home folder, but everything I have tried to do has failed on getting them installed. I am not that familiar with Kali, I have used Backtrack 5 r3 for the most part and it already had a wireless manager, so there was nothing to install. I have scanned the web and tried everything i know, if anyone can help me with this I am grateful!

H5X00R 04-01-2013 07:00 PM

Never heard of kali linux. Have you tried a more popular distro like ubuntu or Mint. I once configure a broadcomm wireless card with Mint and it work great.

Rootpane 04-01-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5X00R (Post 4923076)
Never heard of kali linux. Have you tried a more popular distro like ubuntu or Mint. I once configure a broadcomm wireless card with Mint and it work great.

I am using Linux mint 8 now, but I am afraid I am having the same problems, I installed Linux mint about 30 minutes ago, but I am in the same spot, any help would be great. I use the software down loader but I GET ERROR, saying Linux can't fitch this and that. I am thinking of going back to backtrack 5 which have all of this installed and i liked it good, since like every other Linux I use I can't get it right, but I am trying

H5X00R 04-01-2013 07:44 PM

Hi Rootpane

Wireless cards in linux is not seamless as ethernet cards due to the propriety nature of them.

Here is how I got broadcomm to work on Mint 13 awhile back.

You will need to activate additional drivers

1. Go to Menu > Control Center > Additional drivers

Choose the broadcomm STA driver and activate. Reboot if ask to.

If you don't see broadcomm STA driver, do this from a terminal as root
Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

Now repeat step 1 above. Wireless should be working now. This simple step has worked for me.

Rootpane 04-01-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5X00R (Post 4923098)
Hi Rootpane

Wireless cards in linux is not seamless as ethernet cards due to the propriety nature of them.

Here is how I got broadcomm to work on Mint 13 awhile back.

You will need to activate additional drivers

1. Go to Menu > Control Center > Additional drivers

Choose the broadcomm STA driver and activate. Reboot if ask to.

If you don't see broadcomm STA driver, do this from a terminal as root
Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

Now repeat step 1 above. Wireless should be working now. This simple step has worked for me.

OK i don't see additional drivers in control center, all i have is hardware drivers, in hardware drivers i have the Broadcom b43 wireless driver, when i click to activate i get this error Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...012-1_i386.deb 404 not found and gives a ip.

I have been trying to do this all day, Don't know what ot do, everything I have tried has failed Any help I am grateful.

H5X00R 04-01-2013 08:06 PM

I didn't notice you were using Mint 8, I guess I read too fast. Mint 8 is dated. Mint is now at version 14.

I can't guarantee this will work in Mint 8 but you could try.

Broadcom b43 is also dated i.e too old. The new standard is broadcomm STA.

You will need Mint 14.

Rootpane 04-01-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5X00R (Post 4923107)
I didn't notice you were using Mint 8, I guess I read too fast. Mint 8 is dated. Mint is now at version 14.

I can't guarantee this will work in Mint 8 but you could try.

Broadcom b43 is also dated i.e too old. The new standard is broadcomm STA.

You will need Mint 14.

Thank you brother, I AM ON IT!! I'll get it right now thank you!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.