LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
pashiewashie
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 31

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question installation cd Red Hat 9


i have attempted to install Red Hat 9

now when i am asked of the method of installation i select cd and it says red hat isnt in there. now when i went to the website it says to type

"linux hdX-cd rom and X being something to do with slave and primary devices.

the link is https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...install-guide/
s1-begininstall-cd-inst.html#S2-BEGININSTALL-UNREC-IDE

when it boots i read the writting and it says my HP DVD DRIVE 300n is a ATAPI. now ive tried this "linux hdX-cd rom" but its still the same and nothing changes.

can you please help.
 
Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Axo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 153

Rep: Reputation: 17
Re: installation cd Red Hat 9

Quote:
Originally posted by pashiewashie
i have attempted to install Red Hat 9

now when i am asked of the method of installation i select cd and it says red hat isnt in there. now when i went to the website it says to type

"linux hdX-cd rom and X being something to do with slave and primary devices.

the link is https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...install-guide/
s1-begininstall-cd-inst.html#S2-BEGININSTALL-UNREC-IDE

when it boots i read the writting and it says my HP DVD DRIVE 300n is a ATAPI. now ive tried this "linux hdX-cd rom" but its still the same and nothing changes.

can you please help.

Try one of these taken from the site mentioned above.
At the boot prompt, when you first boot with the cd.
*

a first IDE controller, master
*

b first IDE controller, slave
*

c second IDE controller, master
*

d second IDE controller, slave

Since i don't know the set up of your machine try all of them untill one works.
EG:
linux hda=cdrom
linux hdb=cdrom
linux hdc=dcrom
linux hdd=cdrom

Obviously only try one of those at a time when you reboot the machine.

BTW its = not - inbetween hdX and cdrom


AXO
 
Old 04-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
pashiewashie
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks for your help now i have another problem

i downloaded red hat from the website and it came in three big ISO files now when i install linux it says i havent got a cd in there by the name of red hat linux.

when i had to burn the ISO do you burn it as it is or use what i found "win image" and lets me extract everything out so i can see whats in the ISO file.

this may be the problem or maybe red hat hasnt detected my cd rom when it boots up it says that i have a ATAPI DVD/CD rom drive etc i think it knows its there.

please advise
 
Old 04-29-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Axo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 153

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
when i had to burn the ISO do you burn it as it is or use what i found "win image" and lets me extract everything out so i can see whats in the ISO file.
Burn the ISO as is.


AXO
 
Old 04-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
pashiewashie
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
well i have burnt it as it is but still in the installation process it still says to insert the Red Hat CD even though i have a ISO file on their as you said to do.

also im assuming the installation can read the ISO file

please Advise
 
Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Axo
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 153

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by pashiewashie
well i have burnt it as it is but still in the installation process it still says to insert the Red Hat CD even though i have a ISO file on their as you said to do.

also im assuming the installation can read the ISO file

please Advise

I'm not that familiar with RedHat at what stage of the installation does it stop, right at the start ?
It could be that RedHat isn't finding the correct drivers for your cdrom, try the links below.
What are you using to burn the iso ?
If your using nero try searching these forums as iv'e seen a few threads where people are having trouble with nero.

Have you thought of downloading Fedora, because Redhat 9 is no longer supported ?( or wont be in the future)
You can get Fedora here

Also it might pay to read this
If you wont to stick with RH9 i found this Errors with burning & installation:
Here's a few more links that might help goodluck.
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html


AXO
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation doesn't recognize Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES installation cd bizkut Red Hat 2 08-15-2004 09:57 AM
Own Red Hat installation hendrixbart Linux - Software 0 04-19-2004 04:03 PM
Red Hat 9 Installation dragonback Linux - Distributions 6 06-21-2003 11:37 AM
Red Hat Installation fahad Linux - General 11 12-27-2002 08:08 PM
Help me with my Red Hat 7 installation gavina Linux - Software 3 04-19-2001 06:28 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration