LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   I'm so new to Linux that... (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/im-so-new-to-linux-that-241138/)

Dave.TwoDogS 10-10-2004 07:49 PM

I'm so new to Linux that...
 
I have not installed Linux yet. I bought a "Dummies" book called Red Hat Linux Fedora 10. I think this is the latest and greatest and Fedora looks user friendly although that doesn't mean much to me because I like figuring out tuff stuff.

I have a laptop (eMachine M6809) that I call "stupidfast" and I run Windoze XP Home on it now. I want to run Linux because it is different and I don't know it. It also appears to be a really kick ass OS and I want to play. I also feel that Linux will be very important in the future so I feel it is something I need to know.

Computers are just a hobby of mine but I do spend alot of time on it. If I install this version of Linux is it highly probable that I will eventually stop using Windows and use only Linux. I have no problem doing that just wondering. Also, I don't believe all my Windows programs will work in Linux but that is something I guess I will have to test. Am I right?

Thank you for any and all your help as I will be visiting frequently and usually with a lot of questions. I will install in the next few days and report in. Bye!

bornhj 10-10-2004 07:58 PM

Welcome to LQ!

Enjoy Fedora, I like it a lot!

foo_bar_foo 10-10-2004 08:01 PM

Re: I'm so new to Linux that...
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave.TwoDogS
If I install this version of Linux is it highly probable that I will eventually stop using Windows and use only Linux. Also, I don't believe all my Windows programs will work in Linux but that is something I guess I will have to test. Am I right?


sorry -- we are no good at predicting the future
question2:
no windows programs will run on linux accept using an emulator and then only some (waste of time to even try it !)
sometimes windows programs have a Linux version but almost never

ronduncan 10-10-2004 10:34 PM

Linux Newbie Options
 
Dave.TwoDogS, you sound like you might be the kind of person could get into Linux and like it. Having some sort of book is a good thing, but you might do well to compare distros. Red Hat is a very good distro and there are great opportunities for employment administering it. However, it is quite different from Mandrake, SuSE, Debian, Linspire and other distros. Most distros are available on bootable CDs and have neat install programs. However, the install programs is one of the areas where distros diverge, especially Red Hat. Actually, Linux installation tends to be much faster and easier than installing Windows and in many cases, your applications are quickly and easily installed in a tandem install with the OS. When everything works right, it can be totally amazing and beautiful. I started with Lindows (now Linspire), but joined Houston Area Linux Users Group to learn more. Also I took a Unix/Linux class at the community college. The class was based on Red Hat (ver. 7.3). As for installing on the eMachine laptop, you might want to join a Linux users group or search the web to investigate what issues you might face. Laptops Linux installation can have some challenges. Perhaps, you should examine the Hardware Compatibility List for Linux and your distro, before starting an installation. On a laptop, you will only have one hard drive, so your dual boot will have to start with repartitioning the hard drive. Check to see if the distro's install program will help you with this. If not, you could use Partition Magic or something equivalent to do a non-destructive partitioning job. Linux distros create a special swap partition and perhaps a boot partition in addition to the main partition. In my class I discovered that Red Hat was different from other distros in the default hard drive organization. Well, this is getting too long. Good Luck!

detpenguin 10-10-2004 11:03 PM

i mostly started out like you...wanted to just play with linux...see if i could even teach myself how to install it, let alone use it daily...i kept windows installed, never really intending to give it up, but i realized recently i never log in to windows anymore....you'll love linux...

darthtux 10-10-2004 11:14 PM

You model isn't listed yet, but this may give you some pointers
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/emachines.html

Welcome to LQ :)

loninappleton 10-11-2004 12:36 AM

Re: Re: I'm so new to Linux that...
 
Quote:

Originally posted by foo_bar_foo
sorry -- we are no good at predicting the future
question2:
no windows programs will run on linux accept using an emulator and then only some (waste of time to even try it !)
sometimes windows programs have a Linux version but almost never



I am also just setting up Linux--- Fedora Core 2 on
a PII in a removable drive.


I have had probs getting my standard US Robotics modem
activated, but in looking at the hardware list, I was surprised to see my Yamaha RP U100 listed in the soundcard devices.


However, when trying to install the program disk I hit
the wall.


What hope is there in getting the Yam to work without
an emulator.

BaltikaTroika 10-11-2004 01:13 AM

If you're willing to put in some effort to get comfortable under Linux, I think you'll be very happy that you gave it a chance.

Although a lot of your favorite software won't be available for Linux, you'll be able to find (in most cases) alternatives with similar capabilities. For example, I used to use Photoshop nearly every day (and never thought that I could find a better piece of software), but I made the transition very quickly and easily to The Gimp. Net browsing will be the same experience (with Firefox) as will listening to MP3s (XMMS is basically WinAmp). You'll have no problem getting used to these.

I keep a Windows partition in order to play some of my favorite games (Wine runs Red Alert 2 a bit slowly for me... need to upgrade!), but that's it.

Dave

loninappleton 10-11-2004 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BaltikaTroika
If you're willing to put in some effort to get comfortable under Linux, I think you'll be very happy that you gave it a chance.

Although a lot of your favorite software won't be available for Linux, you'll be able to find (in most cases) alternatives with similar capabilities. For example, I used to use Photoshop nearly every day (and never thought that I could find a better piece of software), but I made the transition very quickly and easily to The Gimp. Net browsing will be the same experience (with Firefox) as will listening to MP3s (XMMS is basically WinAmp). You'll have no problem getting used to these.

I keep a Windows partition in order to play some of my favorite games (Wine runs Red Alert 2 a bit slowly for me... need to upgrade!), but that's it.

Dave


The USB Yamaha has all of it's controlls on screen:
am-fm radio, pc analog (soundcard) digital and usb,
aux for my tv set. Plus all the left right and volume
and dsp modes which are extensive. I won't be finding
those like photoshop or an email prog. :-(


lon@athenet.net

da_zombie 10-11-2004 02:02 AM

if you are a first time user dont start with Fedora. youll be disappointed with the interface and it doesnt play mp3s or any videos! choose a much user friendly distro like mandrake.

mjjzf 10-11-2004 03:54 AM

I will certainly say that Mandrake has the most intuitive installation, especially when it comes to partitioning. You don't have to create a partition before installing - this very stable and mature installer will do that for you. It will simply ask if you want to use free Windows partition space for the Linux installation. As for how many partitions you would like, it is difficult to advise on - but you will need a system partition - signified by a "/" - and a swap partition - simply labelled "swap". Conventional wisdom suggests a swap file twice the size of your RAM. You will be asked for which file type; I usually choose ext3 or ReiserFS.
If you need to reinstall occasionally (well, some... most... all of us screw up at first in some way or another), there is a point in creating a "home" partition, which essentially works like WinXP's "Documents and Settings" folder, although slightly less messy. If you create a home partition separately, you can install again, simply leave "home" untouched, and you'll have setup files, documents, music and whatever untouched.
As mentioned before, you can't use Windows programs without an emulator - which sometimes works. CrossOver Office is good, but it costs a bit and doesn't support everything. Still, there is an impressive selection of free Linux software - in every sense of the word "free". If you are unclear of what I mean by that, read the reference in my signature.
Lastly, you should be aware that Mandrake reads files from the Windows partition (-> no need to move music or movie files to the Mandy partition) - it is, however, read-only. You won't be able to edit the files, but if you are working on a document you can get it from Windows and save a local copy for editing. Windows won't be able to read the Linux partitions without a special tool such as YAReG.

loninappleton 10-11-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by da_zombie
if you are a first time user dont start with Fedora. youll be disappointed with the interface and it doesnt play mp3s or any videos! choose a much user friendly distro like mandrake.


My first foray into Linux was with Knoppix and M. Gagne's
Moving to Linux book. I had to take the book back to the
local lending library. ;-)


Me second (current) foray into Linux is another lending library item (with cds) called _Red had Fedora Linux 2 by
Christopher Negus.


In a few days I'll have to take that back too-- but I can
get this one renewed after wearing out renewals on Moving to Linux.


As a distro for myself to purchase, Suse 9.1 is the
most attractive because it's available locally at Best Buy
with full documentation.


Here is an observation on documentation: I was thinking that for first time users, a series of books rather
than one of these "bibles" would be better. So you'd have
a common introduction for commands in each but be able to buy the stand-alone book on making the internet connection. End of book. Here's the reason: I'm stuck at the modem installation section of Negus' 'bible' and see no
screen shots of the various error messages encountered _or_ the screens under tabs used to set up.


I got the idea from Negus that modem connections are arcane and that not many people use thme anymore so
not much time is devoted to this.


So lastly, which is the most user-friendly _text_ to
get Linux operational enough (I'm back in Window
writing this) to get telecom working so I can come out here
and ask my questions?


lon@athenet.net

mjjzf 10-12-2004 05:25 AM

I read Marcel's book, too, which is a really sweet tool.
I got a good grasp of the basics by visiting the Linux Newbie Administrator Guide and LinuxCommand.
Also, I had laptop issues (the classics: modem and power management) which I found solutions for at Linux-Laptop.net.

justin_p 10-12-2004 08:44 AM

Dave.TwoDogS:

I started off the same way. That was 2 years ago. I have run windows free since then. Just read as much as possible and use the forums here as they are intended, to help you learn linux. Whatever distro you use first, make sure to check their forum under the Distribtuons heading for help. Good luck.

loninappleton 10-12-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OSourceDiplomat
I read Marcel's book, too, which is a really sweet tool.
I got a good grasp of the basics by visiting the Linux Newbie Administrator Guide and LinuxCommand.
Also, I had laptop issues (the classics: modem and power management) which I found solutions for at Linux-Laptop.net.



Ok. I'll state my specific problem again here... a problem
involving modem and dialout.

I have set up a new account/profile after going through
a number of steps including wvdialconfig.

This got me to the system-config-netwrk box and shows
my one profile as inactive. I have put in the correct
phone number and even the init string in the modem
config.

Modem is a standard US Robotics sportster external.

If a click 'activate' (which should now have all the
stuff in it) I get the following error message:

""Cannot activate network device {ISP name]

Failed to activate [ISP name with Error 2""

I was directed to the manual... pppd to find Errors.
I did not find Error 2 or any other errors at that man page
and no way to search an index.


So I am starting here again.


What am I missing in installing dialup?

justin_p 10-12-2004 03:46 PM

loninappleton:

DO NOT HIJACK SOMEONE ELSE's THREAD!!!! Start your own. I know how to fix the modem issue. I have the same modem and am pretty adept with fedora. Send me a private message once you post your own thread. Thanks.

loninappleton 10-13-2004 02:44 PM

Send a message to


lon@athenet.net.


Far as I know I'm not hijacking anyone
else's thread. So you must be the thread police.


I'll appreciate the mail followup but I don't know why I'm
being shouted at and don't see any breach of netiquette here.

ZymeMaster 10-22-2004 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by da_zombie
if you are a first time user dont start with Fedora. youll be disappointed with the interface and it doesnt play mp3s or any videos! choose a much user friendly distro like mandrake.
Hey guys, I use Fedora Core 2, and do not listen to this idiot. You can listen to MP3's and watch videos, all you have to do is install mplayer, apparently he is too dull to know this or perhaps he is just that dumb. Fedora Core 2 is a very good system, but I have also lately used gentoo, Mandrake, and Slackware, all very good disto's.

Baldrick65 10-23-2004 06:29 AM

Quote:

all you have to do is install mplayer, apparently he is too dull to know this or perhaps he is just that dumb
Just out of curiosity, did you install that off the Fedora CD's or off the internet? Unless something changed, I thought that Red Hat / Fedora didn't put any mp3 plugins / codecs on their CD's due to license complexities.

Baldrick

loninappleton 10-23-2004 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZymeMaster
Hey guys, I use Fedora Core 2, and do not listen to this idiot. You can listen to MP3's and watch videos, all you have to do is install mplayer, apparently he is too dull to know this or perhaps he is just that dumb. Fedora Core 2 is a very good system, but I have also lately used gentoo, Mandrake, and Slackware, all very good disto's.

Hello Zy,


If I can avoid the thread police today. I'm here to say that I'm one who needs lots of assistance with Fedora Core 2.


Trying to stay on-thread, I have been having problems burning an iso.image in Core 2.

Elsewhere I put up a complete description of how
cdrecord was not giving even a spinup of the drive.


I have the systax of


# cdrecord -eject -v speed=12 dev=1,1,0 -data /home/lon/boot.iso


[there is a space after -data]


The error I'm getting is :

"No such device or address.


The 1,1,0 was given from running scanbuss at the
line which describes my Sony CDRW.

Additional error was Operation not permited:
Warning: Cannot do mlockall(2)



Lastly, Can I begin at the befinning and run a command to get spin-up on the drive?


The drive works fine, I use remobavle drive trtays so the Linux is completelty removed from system when not
in use.


lon@athenet.net

ZymeMaster 10-23-2004 09:16 PM

Hey, there is an easier solution to all of this. Download the newest version of K3B it is a very good bruning untility that even has a GUI, lol. It has every option from data, music, and ISO to burn in a jiffy. Happy Burning

loninappleton 10-23-2004 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZymeMaster
Hey, there is an easier solution to all of this. Download the newest version of K3B it is a very good bruning untility that even has a GUI, lol. It has every option from data, music, and ISO to burn in a jiffy. Happy Burning

OK. This answers my question of why k3b is not on my
system. Will the download be easily unzippable or executed?


I'll look for it and report back

ZymeMaster 10-24-2004 09:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by loninappleton
[B]OK. This answers my question of why k3b is not on my
system. Will the download be easily unzippable or executed?


Yes, it is best to download it from source, and I do believe it is a tar.gz, so the command would be tar zxvf, and if it happens to be the tar.bz2, then it will be tar jxvf, if you didn't know of course. Then my advice is to read the readme (cat readme) in the folder, or the install file if it still has one.

loninappleton 10-24-2004 03:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZymeMaster
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by loninappleton
OK. This answers my question of why k3b is not on my
system. Will the download be easily unzippable or executed?


Yes, it is best to download it from source, and I do believe it is a tar.gz, so the command would be tar zxvf, and if it happens to be the tar.bz2, then it will be tar jxvf, if you didn't know of course. Then my advice is to read the readme (cat readme) in the folder, or the install file if it still has one.


www.k3b.org

has the source file and the step by step instructions.


I have to go to another location to print instructions.


Today I got the command cdrecord to work and make
a bootable cd. I had to use the dev=ATAPI in the command string and the scan routine then found the
device at a different address. Sort of a long struggle to
do something like this.


New thread time. Thanks :-)

da_zombie 11-01-2004 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZymeMaster
Hey guys, I use Fedora Core 2, and do not listen to this idiot. You can listen to MP3's and watch videos, all you have to do is install mplayer, apparently he is too dull to know this or perhaps he is just that dumb. Fedora Core 2 is a very good system, but I have also lately used gentoo, Mandrake, and Slackware, all very good disto's.
Hi Zymemaster!
heres a small friendly advise for you,
please realise that most of the newbies dont have such smart genes that you might have to download or install the mp3 plugin, mplayer or k3b for fedora and i thought failure to do so might discourage newbies from using linux.
so unless you realise what the thread is all about or you dont have your neurons in your testes defer from using profanities or personal insults against others!
God bless you!

hari_seldon99 11-01-2004 11:25 PM

Ah, nostalgia:

The first time I ever used Linux was in 1997 in my dad's office (Red Hat w GNOME). Then my department in college installed Slackware (in addition to propreitary unices) which I used till 2000. Used Red hat again for 2 years during my masters, & now use Mandrake 10.0 in my pc at home. So all-in-all 8 years.

loninappleton 11-01-2004 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hari_seldon99
Ah, nostalgia:

The first time I ever used Linux was in 1997 in my dad's office (Red Hat w GNOME). Then my department in college installed Slackware (in addition to propreitary unices) which I used till 2000. Used Red hat again for 2 years during my masters, & now use Mandrake 10.0 in my pc at home. So all-in-all 8 years.


I think I could write a book on this (as a newbie). The first chapter is about the five blind brahmins and the elephant.

Except in this case, one is holding onto the tail (net administration) and really wants the trunk: internet access.
The one holding a foot marked graphics could be mistaken for one marked multimedia.


This analogy isn't really fleshed out yet, as you may understand, but I'll tell you one thing: I am getting real
put out with getting 12 answers to the same question,
and those eleven other answers producing error messages.


So here's my advice: before you type the first thing that
comes into your head, think about the newbie that's
reading it.


End of sermon.

lon@athenet.net


Next time I'll tell the story of the boys club and the
tree house and which password gets you to get inside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.