LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
lakedude
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Puppy, Sabayon
Posts: 141

Rep: Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErV View Post
WRONG. There are more 3d games for windows. But this doesn't mean that it windows is better for 3d stuff.
It isn't the games it is the lack of good drivers for video cards, especially ATI video cards.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
AlphaSigmaOne
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
someone has beaten you to it
http://www.opensourcebeerproject.com/

(beer recipes under the GNU FDL i think)
"Free Beer Linux" would be a great name for a distro.

 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
It isn't the games it is the lack of good drivers for video cards, especially ATI video cards.
As I heard, new drivers for new radeons work well. And I'm quite happy with quality of drivers for my nvidia videocard. Also from programmer's experience, linux is much more friendly than windows, when it comes to OpenGL programming. So I'll have to dismiss your argument as incorrect. People were already able to launch Crysis on Linux using wine. And there are 3D games for Linux, latest example (that is known for me) is Penumbra series. So I suppose it is the lack of games, and not problem with drivers.

Also, note that windows isn't immune to driver bugs. It has tons of them, on different videocards, and some prevent people from playing games. For example, The Sims 2 game has infamous "NVidia blue screen" (not BSOD) bug that makes game unplayable and appears on a wide variety of cards, and wasn't fixed yet. For 3d games the best choice will be video console - because there won't be any driver/hardware problems. Some games are optimized to work on one vendor's card, but are on card from another vendor (i.e. fast on NVidia, slow on ATI. Or fast on ATI, and has glitches on NVidia). Just see official support thread for any game, and you'll see how good windows is for playing games.

Last edited by ErV; 11-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
AlphaSigmaOne
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErV View Post
People were already able to launch Crysis on Linux using wine. And there are 3D games for Linux
Yeah, but how did it work?
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigmaOne View Post
Yeah, but how did it work?
Fast enough, as I heard. Launching crysis requires GeForce 8 series. On lower (7 series) cards you'll still be able to run crysis, but you'll get ton of artifacts.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #21
AlphaSigmaOne
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 16
Huh. And here I thought you needed and uber computer and Vista just to get the splash screen.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigmaOne View Post
Huh. And here I thought you needed and uber computer and Vista just to get the splash screen.
Crysis works on WinXP. Without DirectX10, which means no highest quality render. You'll be able to run it on 2GB RAM, dual-core cpu and GeForce 8 videocard. The game itself is cr@p, though.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
lakedude
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Distribution: Puppy, Sabayon
Posts: 141

Rep: Reputation: 16
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErV View Post
Crysis works on WinXP. Without DirectX10, which means no highest quality render. You'll be able to run it on 2GB RAM, dual-core cpu and GeForce 8 videocard. The game itself is cr@p, though.
You are blowing your own argument. Obviously the game runs smoother and looks better in Vista with DX-10.

Saying the game is cr@p does nothing to support your argument that Linux is as good as Windows 3d wise.

Last edited by lakedude; 11-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[ Meanwhile, OP with 1 post has vanished off into the intertubes... ]
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
You are blowing your own argument.
I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
Obviously the game runs smoother and looks better in Vista with DX-10.
No, not obviously, since you didn't provide any proof of that.
Look, if you are after games that support "DirectX 10", this is your problem, and doesn't prove anything. 3D isn't only about DirectX 10. There is fine thing called OpenGL 2.0, which is widely supported. DirectX 10 is a bad argument. It is available only on one version of Windows, and I didn't see that many games that won't work without it. For example, recently arrived Fallout 3 doesn't need it all. Same is true about "Spore". Technical specification of DirectX 10 isn't very exciting, and the list of games that NEED it isn't nearly large enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
Saying the game is cr@p does nothing to support your argument that Linux is as good as Windows 3d wise.
You probably didn't notice part about "programmer's experience" and windows driver bugs.

Anyway, I believe I wrote quite a huge post about DirectX 10 one year ago, and I don't want to do it again. The discussion obviously took wrong turn so I'm leaving it. Bye.

Last edited by ErV; 11-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #26
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 61
Windows is a tool for the rich.
It keeps people dumb because it's so easy to use and it does enough to keep dumb people happy.

Linux is a tool for the mind.
It's so damn quirky and sometimes "hair-pulling" that you'll end up getting smarter after all the reading, trials and tribulations, and long evenings trying to get it working properly again after a bad update if you choose to stick with it.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #27
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Hacker View Post
Windows is a tool for the rich.
It keeps people dumb because it's so easy to use and it does enough to keep dumb people happy.

Linux is a tool for the mind.
It's so damn quirky and sometimes "hair-pulling" that you'll end up getting smarter after all the reading, trials and tribulations, and long evenings trying to get it working properly again after a bad update if you choose to stick with it.
its not nessecarily easy to use, just people are used to it. I think windows is hard to use.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #28
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,417

Rep: Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397Reputation: 2397
Studies have shown that if you've never used a computer before, MS is no easier/more intuitive than Linux or Mac.
For most people its what they're used to (had to learn at work if nothing else)
 
Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 AM   #29
AlphaSigmaOne
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 16
^
I don't buy it.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 AM   #30
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,074

Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Studies have shown that if you've never used a computer before, MS is no easier/more intuitive than Linux or Mac.
For most people its what they're used to (had to learn at work if nothing else)
Studies show whatever else depending on how elaborate them, just like benchmarks. So I don't buy that either. It might or might not be true, I just wanted to say that the study doesn't necessarily reflect the truth. I see that on TV advertising every day, telling me how a given product is 50% more efficient than another, or double as tasty than another, or how X-potion rejuvenates you exactly 2.7 years or machine_Y will allow your muscles to grow exactly 10 times more than their competitor's machine.

Such kind of stuff that it doesn't really make any sense and it's just empty speech because we are counting things that can't be measured. So, aiming for credibility, I would avoid these kind of arguments.

I only have my experience, and from that, I can tell you that a person that doesn't know a thing about computers really don't find windows or linux any more easy that the counterpart. I have also tested this with msoffice vs openoffice. People with no previous background, in general terms, find it to be the same learning one or another.

Of course, there might be occasions where a given person mental model is more adequate for one of the other thing, but in general terms, and at user level, I haven't noticed any big difference. It's also true that the first thing to learn condition the learning experience in the future. We always tend to assimilate (in the greatest and wider meaning of that word) the things depending on our previous experiences.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
performance difference between virtualbox, vm ware, microsoft virtual PC 2007 paul_mat Linux - Server 1 03-06-2008 08:20 AM
Wat is main difference between find and locate command. rktech83 Linux - General 1 03-08-2006 08:38 AM
what's the difference between main group and other group? hongxing Linux - Software 1 11-14-2005 07:40 AM
What is the basic difference between GNOME and KDE? anindyanuri Linux - Software 32 02-20-2005 04:09 PM
What is the main difference between Linux Versions and Manufacturers? phantom87s Linux - Newbie 2 07-15-2003 09:50 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration