LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   I need help (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/i-need-help-4175612993/)

Ed D 08-31-2017 01:59 PM

I need help
 
I used DBAN disk to wipe my windows vista computer. I want to install Linux mint from a CD, but when I start the computer with CD in the slot, all I get is a black screen with "Boot from CD" in the corner. What am I doing wrong?

tredegar 08-31-2017 02:32 PM

Welcome to LQ!

You probably aren't doing anything wrong.
Maybe try pressing Y or the [Return] Key?
Let us know how you get on....

Soadyheid 08-31-2017 02:53 PM

Hi, Welcome to Linux Questions! :)

Can you tell us the maker and model of your computer which may help.

Booting Linux Mint from a CD? Hmmm... A DVD is more likely these days, Mint 18.2 Sonya is 1.6Gb which wouldn't fit on a CD. CDs have a max capacity of about 700Mb

Where did you get the "CD" from?

If you download an iso file from the Mint website you'll need to use some burner software to burn a bootable DVD from the iso image file.

Just copying the iso file to the DVD doesn't work (it just stays as an iso file :( )which sounds a bit like what you have happening.

Also... Does your computer have a DVD drive? The message you get displayed suggests it doesn't. You may have to go down the USB memory stick route if your computer has the option to boot from one.

Play Bonny!

:hattip:

!!! 08-31-2017 03:00 PM

Welcome to Linux!!! You'll 'get there';) Since you booted (&created?) a DBAN cd, it -might- be a new glitch.
Feel free to post details on the PC model, ram, how Mint cd was 'burned', if it seems to read any of it,
and then there's a whole (www-search) topic of interrupting the bootloader, to pass 'kernel parameters'.

One other LQ 'secret':D is the 'GoAdvanced' button, to Edit #1, to change Title, to more specifily detailed.

Ed D 08-31-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredegar (Post 5754196)
Welcome to LQ!

You probably aren't doing anything wrong.
Maybe try pressing Y or the [Return] Key?
Let us know how you get on....

No luck using either keys.

yancek 08-31-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

No luck using either keys.
You'll need to post answers to the other questions asked above if you want help. In particular where you got the iso (Mint site), how you got it on the DVD if you are using a DVD. You need to use software designed for the purpose and choose the option to "burn as an image". Details on your hardware would be useful information.

Ed D 08-31-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soadyheid (Post 5754202)
Hi, Welcome to Linux Questions! :)

Can you tell us the maker and model of your computer which may help.

Booting Linux Mint from a CD? Hmmm... A DVD is more likely these days, Mint 18.2 Sonya is 1.6Gb which wouldn't fit on a CD. CDs have a max capacity of about 700Mb

Where did you get the "CD" from?

If you download an iso file from the Mint website you'll need to use some burner software to burn a bootable DVD from the iso image file.

Just copying the iso file to the DVD doesn't work (it just stays as an iso file :( )which sounds a bit like what you have happening.

Also... Does your computer have a DVD drive? The message you get displayed suggests it doesn't. You may have to go down the USB memory stick route if your computer has the option to boot from one.

Play Bonny!

:hattip:

I have a Dell Dim E521, A64 X2,3800+. OK.. it's a DVD (I call all these disks CDs). I bought the Linux DVD at the same time I bought the Dricks Boot and Nuke DVD (same site). My computer does have a DVD drive.

!!! 08-31-2017 03:36 PM

I'm slow at writing, so others will likely beat me to this (again;) LQ'ers love to help:party:)

There seems to be a bunch of stuff from this web-search (but I haven't dug thru it yet):
E521 boot linux

1 more idea: you can paste www-links of search results you've tried, to save writing, and so people can 'see' what's happening

Oh, IF you don't hit 'any' key fast enough, it defaults to the hard drive, and does nothing!!!

!!! 08-31-2017 03:55 PM

(how to) Boot DBAN to a shell, to read/check Mint DVD???
 
Ooops, I see you read my post, before I (slowly) added: maybe you didn't hit Y fast enough...
Try seeing that dban disk still boots ok!!!

P.s. Extreme hack: maybe there's a way to just load dban to memory (not run it), get a shell, swap dvd, 'examine' the mint dvd... It's possible they shipped a 'blank'. When what 'can't happen', happens, then maybe it isn't (happening):eek:

IsaacKuo 08-31-2017 04:02 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E521 that I actually just did a fresh Debian 9 install on yesterday. I used the Debian netinst CD (yes a CD - the netinst disc image is small). What can I say? It booted up just fine and the installer completed all steps without any issue.

The key to get into the BIOS is F2. You have to be a bit quick with it, but it works. Once you're in the BIOS, you can set it to boot from the DVD drive first. Maybe adjust the SATA controller mode on the DVD drive (I don't know if this could help at all, but it is a possible thing to try).

IsaacKuo 08-31-2017 04:07 PM

Oh, one other thought - the BIOS on the Dell E521, like many other Dell machines, is finicky about SATA interfaces which aren't disabled but also don't have any drive attached. If there are any non-disabled SATA interfaces without an attached drive, the BIOS will complain upon POST.

As such, the usual thing is to disable any SATA interfaces which don't have a drive attached. This becomes a "gotcha" if you ever install a new drive or move a drive from one SATA port to another. The new or moved drive isn't seen! Why? Because someone explicitly disabled the SATA port to avoid the BIOS complaining upon POST.

This probably has no bearing on your issue, but it's something to watch out for.

Soadyheid 08-31-2017 07:40 PM

@!!!

Quote:

Oh, IF you don't hit 'any' key fast enough, it defaults to the hard drive, and does nothing!!!
Hitting the key is a waste of time, just wears out the key mechanism. :doh: Hold the key down, at this point the system is scanning the keyboard to see if there's a key being depressed. Hitting the key is just playing "now you see me, now you don't"

Play bonny!

:hattip:

purevw 09-01-2017 09:04 AM

Is UEFI active or disabled in your BIOS? I would think that most newer flavors of Linux are UEFI compatible, but I haven't used Mint in a very long time. Also, Is your optical drive set as the boot disk?

IsaacKuo 09-01-2017 10:16 AM

The Dell E521 is a Windows Vista era machine. I don't think UEFI was even a thing back when these things were manufactured (not 100% sure about how long the model was in production, though). Back when I ordered mine the OS options were Windows Vista or "downgrade" Windows XP.

Ed D 09-02-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed D (Post 5754211)
I have a Dell Dim E521, A64 X2,3800+. OK.. it's a DVD (I call all these disks CDs). I bought the Linux DVD at the same time I bought the Dricks Boot and Nuke DVD (same site). My computer does have a DVD drive.

After taking a long break from the old computer, I tried using the USB that came with the DVD. Reset the BIOS to us the USB as boot device. No luck with that either. Tried the DVD again after resetting the BIOS. I now have "Boot from CD :" in the upper left corner of the black screen. Figured it would come up with the same stuff that it has had all along. BUT...after 5 or 6mnutes it added ISOLINUX 6.03 20151222 ETCD Copyright (C)...... There is a flashing _ under that line that has ISOLINUX. Is it just taking a long time to the next thing or what. I am no computer expert. Just wondering.

Shadow_7 09-02-2017 11:04 PM

pre-2006 computers were a bit hit and miss with regards to booting usb. But you can use plop bootmanager or grub on an optical disk to boot usb on those older machines. Otherwise CDs come in sets and ONLY the first and maybe the second disk are "bootable". Depending on distro, the other 318+ discs are just packages in decending popularity. Kidding on the count, sort of (it'll get there someday).

Ed D 09-02-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_7 (Post 5755059)
pre-2006 computers were a bit hit and miss with regards to booting usb. But you can use plop bootmanager or grub on an optical disk to boot usb on those older machines. Otherwise CDs come in sets and ONLY the first and maybe the second disk are "bootable". Depending on distro, the other 318+ discs are just packages in decending popularity. Kidding on the count, sort of (it'll get there someday).

Mine is an 07 model. I gave up on the USB and went back to the C/D...DVD. It now is showing ISOLINUX 6.03 20151222 ETC Copyright......in the upper corner of the black screen. there is a flashing _ under the above ISO stuff. Been there for over an hour. Giving up for the night and going to bed. I might just donate this old thing. It's been wiped of every thing!

IsaacKuo 09-03-2017 10:01 AM

Well, the fact that it said ISOLINUX ... says that the disc was at least partially read properly, and was written to disc in the correct method (as opposed to writing the iso file as a file within a data filesystem).

Do you have a spare blank CD or DVD? If you just want to get the darn thing to work, I would recommend you try burning a Debian netinst CD and install Debian using that. Even if your optical drive is a bit flaky and can only read a little of the disc successfully, the netinst CD is very small so there's a good chance it will work okay.

I have the same model of computer (Dell E521), and I just used the Debian 9 netinst CD (amd64) to do a fresh install on it the other day. What can I say? It just plain worked. I booted the installer off the stock DVD-ROM drive.

There was no step which took minutes to respond. It booted up in seconds after POST to the first installer menu, and every step after that showed continuous activity (or was sitting there waiting for my input). Not exactly the fastest thing in the world, but there was no time when there was any extended period of inactivity where I wondered if anything was messed up.

IsaacKuo 09-03-2017 10:10 AM

Oh, FWIW, I have also booted my Dell E521 off of USB many times. No problems booting off of USB thumbdrives. I regularly boot off of USB thumbdrive install of Debian to run gparted for cloning or resizing OS partitions.

Ed D 09-03-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacKuo (Post 5755156)
Well, the fact that it said ISOLINUX ... says that the disc was at least partially read properly, and was written to disc in the correct method (as opposed to writing the iso file as a file within a data filesystem).

Do you have a spare blank CD or DVD? If you just want to get the darn thing to work, I would recommend you try burning a Debian netinst CD and install Debian using that. Even if your optical drive is a bit flaky and can only read a little of the disc successfully, the netinst CD is very small so there's a good chance it will work okay.

I have the same model of computer (Dell E521), and I just used the Debian 9 netinst CD (amd64) to do a fresh install on it the other day. What can I say? It just plain worked. I booted the installer off the stock DVD-ROM drive.

There was no step which took minutes to respond. It booted up in seconds after POST to the first installer menu, and every step after that showed continuous activity (or was sitting there waiting for my input). Not exactly the fastest thing in the world, but there was no time when there was any extended period of inactivity where I wondered if anything was messed up.

Thank you IsaacKuo! Reading your post, my spirits were lifted. I had used both CD/DVD drawers during this process, as the top one was flaky as you say. After reading your post I used the bottom draw and Linux loaded. I guess this old computer just needed to know there was a new system come on. Problem solved! Thank you again, and I'm glad I have a laptop to help get info I needed.

Shadow_7 09-03-2017 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a quirky machine that only boots USB (on the back ports) if the usb device is on the other side of a usb hub (passive / not powered). At least for reliability, it can boot USB directly on the back ports, but it goes into a weird state when you spam F12 to bring up the bios/uefi boot menu 5 out of 6 times (guessing) it'll fail. With the hub if I wait for the chirps before spamming F12 it'll work 5 out of 6 times. My guess is that the power supply is showing it's age, as when I initially had that issue, changing plugs (away from all the other things drawing juice) made it work again. Like I said "quirky". But I mostly only use that machine for watching youtube when I break one of my laptops. And I'm no stranger to nature hate.

The surge protector that died saving the TV not too long ago.

Ed D 09-03-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_7 (Post 5755299)
I have a quirky machine that only boots USB (on the back ports) if the usb device is on the other side of a usb hub (passive / not powered). At least for reliability, it can boot USB directly on the back ports, but it goes into a weird state when you spam F12 to bring up the bios/uefi boot menu 5 out of 6 times (guessing) it'll fail. With the hub if I wait for the chirps before spamming F12 it'll work 5 out of 6 times. My guess is that the power supply is showing it's age, as when I initially had that issue, changing plugs (away from all the other things drawing juice) made it work again. Like I said "quirky". But I mostly only use that machine for watching youtube when I break one of my laptops. And I'm no stranger to nature hate.

The surge protector that died saving the TV not too long ago.

I have been able to load Linux using the CD/DVD! Just used the other drawer (got 2 on this old thing).

Ed D 09-03-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed D (Post 5755063)
Mine is an 07 model. I gave up on the USB and went back to the C/D...DVD. It now is showing ISOLINUX 6.03 20151222 ETC Copyright......in the upper corner of the black screen. there is a flashing _ under the above ISO stuff. Been there for over an hour. Giving up for the night and going to bed. I might just donate this old thing. It's been wiped of every thing!

Problem solved!! Thanks for all the help!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.