LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   i have this problem sometimes. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/i-have-this-problem-sometimes-310688/)

bruse 04-07-2005 08:54 AM

i have this problem sometimes.
 
my proxy address is 10.1.1.50 port 3128.
internet working well sometimes a error is


The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.google.co.in/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.google.co.in

The dnsserver returned:

No DNS records

This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is root.
Generated Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:42:16 GMT by rcc.annauniv.edu (squid/2.5.STABLE3)


what to do with this problem....it seems dns server down...how to enable it from user.

bigrigdriver 04-08-2005 03:26 AM

It could also mean that the server has reached its full capacity (all possible users accessing the server). Wait a few minutes, then try again. Someone will move away, and you will be able to enter the website.

bruse 04-08-2005 09:55 AM

thank you sir if i want to do something on that ?
and how to recover from this situation..

sometimes it will take 1 or 2 days to goog internet connection.

up to 20hours takes the same error.

such a long time ?? please help .

win32sux 07-23-2005 07:41 PM

AFAIK this has/had nothing to do with the website's server - it's a DNS issue...

i'm currently experiencing something similar... i will sometimes get the error message from squid when accessing known good addresses (the key word is sometimes)... when this happens i can hit refresh in my browser several times repeatedly and it won't work (squid keeps giving me the error message)... if i wait about 20 seconds before clicking again then it works... i know the issue is not with my ISP's DNS servers cuz if (when the error occurs) i go into my browser settings and tell it to connect without a proxy it works fine immediately... plus i can surf for hours without the proxy and never have a single dns error... i am currently still troubleshooting my issue, but since yours is/was so similar (probably even the same) i thought i might ask how it went... ;)

also, if anybody has any input to share about this squid/dns issue it would be greatly appreciated... :)

meetscott 04-04-2007 09:56 PM

I'm running into this same problem too!
 
I tried changing

http_port 3128

to

http_port 3138 transparent

in my squid.conf but that does *not* appear to work. I will post back if I find a solution. I'm very disgusted with this because squid was working well without *any* problems for weeks.

meetscott 04-04-2007 10:02 PM

One other thing...

I referenced this thread and I still don't see where win32sux ever posted a solution to this. Did you ever solve it ?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...No+DNS+records

win32sux 04-05-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meetscott
One other thing...

I referenced this thread and I still don't see where win32sux ever posted a solution to this. Did you ever solve it ?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...No+DNS+records

FWIW, this was a long time ago, so my memory is quite blurry... but i think (for me at least) it ended-up being a squid bug which got fixed with an update...

bruse 04-05-2007 12:17 PM

Thats right, meetscott, it might be fixed :)

meetscott 04-05-2007 11:09 PM

I concede. This is a DNS issue on my ISP's end or maybe further up the chain. I've been able to recreate the issue with and without squid. So it has nothing whatsoever to do with squid. This has now been going on for 2 days. Some sites are accessible and some are not. Service is intermittent and going through squid changes nothing.

win32sux was right.

For years I have hard coded my DNS servers into my router. I can't remember now why I did it. I think it was having too many problems getting it automatically so I just hard coded it and moved on. I changed my settings to get it automatically from my ISP. Then I reset the router connection, brought down my ethernet connection and restarted it from the Linux side. This changed the values in /etc/resolv.conf as you would expect. Everything is working perfectly now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.