Originally Posted by Elv13
I think the question is how to download Linux when the computer can't boot because it have, somehow, been wiped out
If that is ithe case then we'd need to know what resources are available.
- Have you downloaded and burned to disk a linux install already? if so which one(s)?
- Has windows been wiped out or can you go back to it?
- Does the computer have a CD or DVD drive?
- Were the USB ports working last time you checked?
- Do you have access to another computer?
- What operating system install disks do you have?
- If those disks include windows do you have matching licence keys for them?
But yes I would use another computer to download the desktop version from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
This is what is called a LiveCD, though it may require a DVD now... not sure...
Boot up from that disk and choose the Try option just to see if it will work straight up and present you with a desktop.
If it did, double click on the install icon on the desktop.