LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Boobaloo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Location: Pisek, North Dakota
Distribution: 17.2 Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
HP Office Jet Pro 8100 WiFi Printer Was Working


When I first installed LINUX Mint "Rafaela" (17.?), there was no problem setting up the printer. Yesterday, which is about 3 weeks since I set it up, I now find it is not connected.

I tried downloading the HPLIP file, but nothing I have will open it. I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer, with no success.

How do I get this mess working again?

As you may be able to determine, I am getting V E R Y frustrated with this!

H E L P ! ! !
 
Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
JaseP
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern PA, USA
Distribution: K/Ubuntu 18.04-14.04, Scientific Linux 6.3-6.4, Android-x86, Pretty much all distros at one point...
Posts: 1,802

Rep: Reputation: 157Reputation: 157
More info, please... What desktop environment are you using ("Rafeala" 17.2? ... what DE???). What type of machine are you attempting to connect from (manufacturer, model, and wireless chipsets, if possible)...

Last edited by JaseP; 08-23-2015 at 11:15 PM.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Boobaloo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Location: Pisek, North Dakota
Distribution: 17.2 Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseP View Post
More info, please... What desktop environment are you using ("Rafeala" 17.2? ... what DE???). What type of machine are you attempting to connect from (manufacturer, model, and wireless chipsets, if possible)...
Desktop = Mate
Machine = DELL Latitude D-610
Wireless = Intel BG2200 chipset (Not sure about this. I'm operating from "memory", such as it is.) As I said, the printer was found and operated with no problems and was working. Another mystery.

Thanks for the reply.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Boobaloo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Location: Pisek, North Dakota
Distribution: 17.2 Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseP View Post
More info, please... What desktop environment are you using ("Rafeala" 17.2? ... what DE???). What type of machine are you attempting to connect from (manufacturer, model, and wireless chipsets, if possible)...
Well, well, well! I stumbled through opening and installing HPLIP. It was another "PERMISSIONS" issue!

I need to locate my DUNCE Cap!

The printer was re-located and is now working again!

So sorry for the trouble!
 
Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobaloo View Post
The printer was re-located and is now working again!

So sorry for the trouble!
Welcome to the forum

No worries, I'm glad you figured out the problem. If you would, please mark this thread as "SOLVED" by clicking on "Thread Tools" directly above your initial post. Thanks!

Regards...
 
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,455

Rep: Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601Reputation: 2601
there have been issues with the HP software from HP

it has a tendency to DISABLE the printer by

setting it a " NOT SET as default printer "
and resetting if the printer is accepting jobs or not
setting it to " not accepting jobs "

open the HP-toolbox" and reset the settings
for mint 17
Code:
sudo hp-toolbox

Last edited by John VV; 08-24-2015 at 03:31 PM.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Boobaloo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Location: Pisek, North Dakota
Distribution: 17.2 Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
there have been issues with the HP software from HP

it has a tendency to DISABLE the printer by

setting it a " NOT SET as default printer "
and resetting if the printer is accepting jobs or not
setting it to " not accepting jobs "

open the HP-toolbox" and reset the settings
for mint 17
Code:
sudo hp-toolbox



That's interesting. Just for grins, I tried the command and got the Error, " dBus initialization error. Exiting.". Not sure what that's about, but the printer is working at this time.

Thanks for your help.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobaloo View Post
That's interesting. Just for grins, I tried the command and got the Error, " dBus initialization error. Exiting.". Not sure what that's about, but the printer is working at this time.
Hi...

From what I see here, what happens if you drop "sudo" from the command?

Regards...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Boobaloo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2015
Location: Pisek, North Dakota
Distribution: 17.2 Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
Hi...

From what I see here, what happens if you drop "sudo" from the command?

Regards...
Well,now, that worked. Thanks!

I noticed your Tag Line. I drive a big truck, hauling coal to some Sugar refineries in the region and listen to a Christian Radio station most of the time. I heard a good line a few days ago. "JOY....In order to have J O Y, you should keep Jesus first, Others second and Yourself last.". I thought that was a good reminder. Thought you might like that one.

Thanks for the help and Be Blessed.

Bob
 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobaloo View Post
Well,now, that worked. Thanks!

I noticed your Tag Line. I drive a big truck, hauling coal to some Sugar refineries in the region and listen to a Christian Radio station most of the time. I heard a good line a few days ago. "JOY....In order to have J O Y, you should keep Jesus first, Others second and Yourself last.". I thought that was a good reminder. Thought you might like that one.

Thanks for the help and Be Blessed.
You're welcome, glad it worked.

Yes, that is a good word and sometimes it's a struggle to keep it in that order. Thank you!

May God bless you as well...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't get printer working: HP Laser Jet 4 Pluss JosephS Linux - Software 5 06-13-2014 02:19 PM
Printing to shared HP Office Jet 5610 doesn't produce results PerfectReign Linux - Hardware 6 03-13-2011 09:00 PM
CUPS test page never prints with Office Jet G85 sheintze Linux - Software 2 01-31-2007 02:34 AM
Need help configuring HP Office Jet 6210??? Southpaw76 Slackware 2 11-13-2006 08:09 AM
Hp Office Jet Pedroski Linux - Hardware 8 04-08-2004 01:02 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration