LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   How to uninstall ns2.34 in Fedora 20 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-uninstall-ns2-34-in-fedora-20-a-4175605687/)

cai 05-11-2017 02:24 AM

How to uninstall ns2.34 in Fedora 20
 
I've installed ns2 separately and not using allinone package. I installed all the tcl,otcl,tk in usr/share/ directory. I delete the folder ns-2.34, tcl,otcl,tk, tclcl to uninstall ns2. I forgot to uninstall ns2 by using the terminal. Now, when i type ns in terminal ,it still shows %. How can I completely remove ns2.34 as I've already deleted the file ns-2.34, tcl, otcl,tk ,tclc. ? Thank you

AwesomeMachine 05-11-2017 03:04 AM

You must have installed from source. If you have the source uncompressed, go into the top-level directory and type:
Code:

$ make unistall
If you don't have the source, uncompress the source file, reinstall the programs, and then uninstall as above.

knudfl 05-11-2017 04:20 AM

"allinone package" : All applications must be 'uninstalled' separately.
( tcl tk otcl tclcl etc.)

How can you have something in /usr/share/ ?
The normal build directory is /home/|name|/dir/ns-allinone-2.34/.
With only one file outside /home/ : /usr/local/bin/ns*

I guess you could delete the directories in /usr/share/ containing the ns2 remains ?
Else : Don't worry, a few kB in a /usr/share/ folder does no harm.


-

cai 05-12-2017 02:55 AM

I've already deleted the ns2 cache in usr/share
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 5709006)
"allinone package" : All applications must be 'uninstalled' separately.
( tcl tk otcl tclcl etc.)

How can you have something in /usr/share/ ?
The normal build directory is /home/|name|/dir/ns-allinone-2.34/.
With only one file outside /home/ : /usr/local/bin/ns*

I guess you could delete the directories in /usr/share/ containing the ns2 remains ?
Else : Don't worry, a few kB in a /usr/share/ folder does no harm.


-

I copy files to /usr/share by using this command :
su cp -r <source directory> <destination directory>

I've deleted all ns2 related files in usr/share but I can still run ns2. I've also tried make uninstall in /ns2.3X directory. I also tried yum purge ns-allinone-2.3X. What should I do next? TQ

cai 05-12-2017 03:01 AM

No rule to make target `uninstall'
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine (Post 5708991)
You must have installed from source. If you have the source uncompressed, go into the top-level directory and type:
Code:

$ make unistall
If you don't have the source, uncompress the source file, reinstall the programs, and then uninstall as above.

I've done what you suggested but I got this error.

make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'. Stop.

What should I do next?

knudfl 05-12-2017 03:54 AM

Re #4.
Quote:

I can still run ns2
There is no command by name ns2.
If you did # 'make install' in top directory 1. = ns-allinone-2.34/ns-2.34/:
Then delete the result = /usr/local/bin/ns

Other "top" directories are :
2. tcl8.4.18/unix/
3. tk8.4.18/unix/
4. otcl-1.13/
5. tclcl-1.19/
6. nam-1.14/
... There are another five top directories, I guess you didn't copy those to usr/.

Quote:

I copy files to /usr/share by using this command :
su cp -r <source directory> <destination directory>
Things copied like above : Delete is the only option.

? How did you get that crazy idea copying "alien" surplus files to a system location ?
There are places for that: /home/[name]/Documents/(backup) ...
... or e.g. /usr/local/src/(backup)

Actually all applications can be deleted right after the build (to save space) :
The executable ns will use these files only →
Code:

ns-allinone-2.34/lib/{libtcl8.4.a, libtclstub8.4.a, tcl8.4/*, tclConfig.sh}
ns-allinone-2.34/bin/tclsh8.4


-


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.