LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
LinuxorNot?
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question How to Sort Files by Date in Downloads Folder?


Hey everyone, I am pretty frustrated right now I am new to Linux and desperately need to sort my downloads folder by newest files first.

I tried a few commands in terminal and none seem to work. Why linux does not have the option to right click and then sort by name is truly beyond my comprehension.

Any help would be appreciated. By the way I am using Elementary OS.

Thanks in advance for your replies and help.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
yooy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,387

Rep: Reputation: 173Reputation: 173
according to wikipedia Elementary os uses "Pantheon files" as file manager.. im not sure but it probably allows to sort files by date. Try checking menus for "detailed view" or just install another file manager as Thunar or PcmanFM.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
LinuxorNot?
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you for replying yooy. In the general directory where the download folder is listed with others on the C drive e.g. Documents folder you can sort by date. However, within these folders you cannot sort by date.

I attempted to download Thunar and read the installation instructions. They are daunting to say the least and suddenly I do not feel as tech saavy as I did with the Windows OS.

I have resorted to copying the entire downloads folder (142 gb) just to ensure I have all the files which are newer that October 5, 2013.

If you can give me some pointers regarding the installation of Thunar it would be appreciated.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Habitual
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Nowhere near you, thank God.
Distribution: OSX Sierra
Posts: 8,573
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
terminal >
Code:
ls -ltr
 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,740
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624
i think op wants a gui solution.
i am 99% sure that the filemanager shipped with elementary os does have this option.
have you tried the menu (in the filemanager window, usually under "view"), or right clicking not a file or folder but the empty space in between, or the file managers preferences --> default view or sth.

i am not using elementary, but these things are very common amongst all gui file managers.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
LinuxorNot?
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi Habitual, I did enter that command twice and below is what comes up. However, what command will make the files show up in the Downloads folder of the C drive?

drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Videos
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 60 Dec 15 22:23 Downloads
elementary@elementary:~$ ^C
elementary@elementary:~$

Hi ondoho, nope none of those work. I will keep trying though.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,344

Rep: Reputation: 226Reputation: 226Reputation: 226
you're trying to use Cygwin in Windows? and you want to use Linux command.

You can use Powershell and it can be achieved easily.

since you want Linux try this:

Quote:
ls -lt ~/Downloads/ | less
 
Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
fenario
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Rylstone, NSW, Australia
Distribution: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit and a few other OSs
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
can you install other file browsers like nautilus? In Nautilus > Edit > Preferences> List Columns > check:
Date Modified > Close
Then click on that column to make the arrow going upwards and you have the newest at the top.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
LinuxorNot?
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I really appreciate, everyone seems really helpful.
I ditched elementary and installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I am actually enjoying it. I am learning new things through increased usage of the command line. Sometimes I get frustrated and just when I say screw it, I find the solution e.g. installing flash in Mozilla and Chromium. I need to use SPSS since I do a lot of statistical work. However, I have been toying with the idea of learning R and maybe this will be the push.
I have been an open source software user for awhile but using Linux has really opened my eyes. I feel this movement is so important and has the power to assist with so many things e.g. poverty alleviation in developing countries by exposing persons to computer usage and programming.

Ubuntu 12.04 will be by main OS until 2014.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,344

Rep: Reputation: 226Reputation: 226Reputation: 226
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxorNot? View Post
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I really appreciate, everyone seems really helpful.
I ditched elementary and installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I am actually enjoying it. I am learning new things through increased usage of the command line. Sometimes I get frustrated and just when I say screw it, I find the solution e.g. installing flash in Mozilla and Chromium. I need to use SPSS since I do a lot of statistical work. However, I have been toying with the idea of learning R and maybe this will be the push.
I have been an open source software user for awhile but using Linux has really opened my eyes. I feel this movement is so important and has the power to assist with so many things e.g. poverty alleviation in developing countries by exposing persons to computer usage and programming.

Ubuntu 12.04 will be by main OS until 2014.
Hi I like your idea about exposing computer usage and programming in developing countries.

Aside from material things such as PC, electricity or whatsoever.

How to create modules, or how to get people started or just how to encourage that indeed there is hope in Linux programming?

I've been thinking about it as well, on how to impart ideas and help people to alleviate poverty.

Any ideas people?
 
Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
fenario
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Rylstone, NSW, Australia
Distribution: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit and a few other OSs
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi LinuxorNot?

You did the right thing. Thumbs up for using Ububntu 12.04.
Did you notice that in the native file browser nautilus the "up to parent folder" arrow
is missing? This can be very annoying when you want to return back up the folder tree.
Luckily Mr Kirby, a dedicated tux user, created a patch to have more toolbar options.
Check out this site: https://launchpad.net/nautiluspatchtogglelocationbar
where the patch is available. you may have to downgrade nautilus to match the patch version.
latest version is: 3.4.2-0ubuntu8-1
After installing it you could lock the installed nautilus version in synaptic package manager
(has to be installed first; in terminal type: sudo apt-get synaptic)
so it won't get updated and loose the patch. Synaptic is much better than the software center.
You could regularly visit Mr.Kirby's site and check if there are newer versions.
To activate the up arrow and other options goto: Edit > Preferences > Toolbar > Tick: Show up icon

best wishes for the new year and enjoy ubuntu precise pangolin

Ps I uploaded my tweaked version of precise at: http://yadi.sk/d/cPzGNx1vDz9R6
for the tweaks I used in precise check out http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/
for my blog "Collection of 12 tweaks" which will be published later today the 19th December.
 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
LinuxorNot?
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJCR View Post
Hi I like your idea about exposing computer usage and programming in developing countries.

Aside from material things such as PC, electricity or whatsoever.

How to create modules, or how to get people started or just how to encourage that indeed there is hope in Linux programming?

I've been thinking about it as well, on how to impart ideas and help people to alleviate poverty.

Any ideas people?
Hey JJJCR, I think the best way is to start at the early childhood level i.e. age 5 and under and then pique their interest in linux. By the time they are 10 years old they would be sufficiently interested not only in linux but in ICT in general. The fact is the average person in developing countries does not possess a basic understanding of computers let alone Linux. Knowledge is power right now, if for example some people can get some old computers and install Linux and be exposed to the web and computing it can only be for the best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fenario View Post
Hi LinuxorNot?

You did the right thing. Thumbs up for using Ububntu 12.04.
Did you notice that in the native file browser nautilus the "up to parent folder" arrow
is missing? This can be very annoying when you want to return back up the folder tree.
Luckily Mr Kirby, a dedicated tux user, created a patch to have more toolbar options.
Check out this site: https://launchpad.net/nautiluspatchtogglelocationbar
where the patch is available. you may have to downgrade nautilus to match the patch version.
latest version is: 3.4.2-0ubuntu8-1
After installing it you could lock the installed nautilus version in synaptic package manager
(has to be installed first; in terminal type: sudo apt-get synaptic)
so it won't get updated and loose the patch. Synaptic is much better than the software center.
You could regularly visit Mr.Kirby's site and check if there are newer versions.
To activate the up arrow and other options goto: Edit > Preferences > Toolbar > Tick: Show up icon

best wishes for the new year and enjoy ubuntu precise pangolin

Ps I uploaded my tweaked version of precise at: http://yadi.sk/d/cPzGNx1vDz9R6
for the tweaks I used in precise check out http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/
for my blog "Collection of 12 tweaks" which will be published later today the 19th December.
Hey Fenario, thanks for your reply it, I like that you gave me a lot of information. I will check out Synaptic and precise. A question for you why am I having such trouble installing Libreoffice? Ubuntu came with Libreoffice 3 and while I am able to uninstall and reinstall that version. I cannot install 4.1.4. Here is a copy of my commands. Any help would be appreciated. Coincidentally, I was accepted to Southern Cross University which I see is in your area.

proppy@HappyDays:~$ cd Downloads
proppy@HappyDays:~/Downloads$ tar -xvzf LibreOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-python-script-provider_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-writer_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-dict-en_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-images_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-pyuno_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us-base_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-javascript-script-provider_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-gnome-integration_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-postgresql-sdbc_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-impress_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-base_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-presentation-minimizer_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us-math_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us-calc_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us-writer_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-calc_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-mediawiki-publisher_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-onlineupdate_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core01_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-nlpsolver_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-librelogo_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-beanshell-script-provider_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-math_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-pdf-import_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-en-us_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-en-us-res_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core06_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-ooofonts_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-ure_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core05_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-impress_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-calc_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-math_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-dict-es_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core02_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core07_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-draw_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-base_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-writer_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-ogltrans_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-graphicfilter_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-draw_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core04_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-kde-integration_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-ooolinguistic_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.4-2_all.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libreoffice4.1-dict-fr_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-core03_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-xsltfilter_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/libobasis4.1-extension-report-builder_4.1.4.2-2_amd64.deb
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/readmes/
LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/readmes/README_en-US
proppy@HappyDays:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for proppy:
dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
*.deb
proppy@HappyDays:~/Downloads$
 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #13
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,

the *.deb files are not in your current working directory. So, try for example:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i LibreOffice_4.1.4.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/*.deb
However, please note that installing software like this is *NOT RECOMMENDED*. If you can stick with the software actually provided by Ubuntu you are likely to have a much smoother ride. If you really do *need* libreoffice 4.x, there may be a better way to get it.

Evo2.
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,740
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxorNot? View Post
Sometimes I get frustrated and just when I say screw it, I find the solution...
right!

Quote:
I feel this movement is so important and has the power to assist with so many things e.g. poverty alleviation in developing countries by exposing persons to computer usage and programming.
since using linux, i don't even want new hardware. sometimes i tune in on the hype, but then i think, why? i'm running the best operating system ever, my current, 5 year old laptop is still far from its limits.
i like not throwing things away. i think it's one of the many things that will save our planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxorNot? View Post
Hey JJJCR, I think the best way is to start at the early childhood level i.e. age 5 and under and then pique their interest in linux.
i would like to disagree on that one. maybe 6 and up, but for younger children it is much more important to develop motorical skills, social interaction and the like. human touch. they'll just get hyperactive if they start clicking and tapping so early. btw, i am working with preschool children.

Last edited by ondoho; 12-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,552

Rep: Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112Reputation: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxorNot? View Post
Hi Habitual, I did enter that command twice and below is what comes up. However, what command will make the files show up in the Downloads folder of the C drive?

drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Videos
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 40 Dec 15 13:11 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 elementary elementary 60 Dec 15 22:23 Downloads
elementary@elementary:~$ ^C
elementary@elementary:~$

Hi ondoho, nope none of those work. I will keep trying though.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.
Code:
ls -lrt Downloads
or
Code:
cd Downloads
ls -lrt
FYI - There is no "C" drive in Linux. That's Windows terminology, and due to the fundamental differences in the way Windows and Linux handle drives and filesystems, terms like "C", "D", or any other drive letter will just confuse things in Linux, there is no counterpart.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sort files in directories based on the files date... CharlieMike73 Programming 5 09-09-2009 11:04 PM
Sort files under a folder by created date Kunsheng Programming 3 05-11-2009 05:58 AM
find all files in current folder and all subfolders and sort all by timestamp dlnlinux Linux - Newbie 2 06-03-2008 12:29 PM
bash sort files by date in file name thedude2010 Programming 6 05-12-2006 12:07 PM
How to sort files in a directory by date in KDE? Ace_Azzameen Linux - Software 7 05-24-2004 03:49 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration