LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   how to run exec file at startup using rc.local (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-run-exec-file-at-startup-using-rc-local-4175417521/)

saman_artorious 07-19-2012 03:54 AM

how to run exec file at startup using rc.local
 
I want to execute a qt exe program at startup. That is after automatic login instead of loading Desktop and seeing it, the program quickly pop up to the screen. For this, I think we should add the script to rcx.local rather than rc.local I guess though.. I tried adding a script to /etc/rc.local and giving it permission, but non works out.

I would thank if you explain the procedure in detail.

eSelix 07-19-2012 04:22 AM

"rcx.local"? From where you get this information - I never heard about this file. Anyway to autostart program you can login on this automatic login account and there use standard way to do this. For example in KDE you add program to execute after login in "System settings" / "System administration" and there is something like "Starting and stopping". And for autostarting programs on every account after someone login you can use "/etc/X11/Xsession.d" directory.

sharadchhetri 07-19-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eSelix (Post 4732403)
"rcx.local"? From where you get this information - I never heard about this file. Anyway to autostart program you can login on this automatic login account and there use standard way to do this. For example in KDE you add program to execute after login in "System settings" / "System administration" and there is something like "Starting and stopping". And for autostarting programs on every account after someone login you can use "/etc/X11/Xsession.d" directory.

is it " qt exe " a .exe file ?
.exe will not run

knudfl 07-19-2012 05:23 AM

Auto-starting a GUI program to open on the Desktop :

Add an entry in /home/<user-name>/.config/autostart/
... The new file can be a "desktop entry" = program.desktop,
or a link to the executable.
Example : ~/.config/autostart/firefox.desktop

.

saman_artorious 07-21-2012 02:59 AM

how to execute an exe at startup using rc.local
 
I want to execute a qt exe program at startup. That is after automatic login instead of loading Desktop and seeing it, the program quickly pop up to the screen. For this, I think we should add the script to rcx.local rather than rc.local I guess though.. I tried adding a script to /etc/rc.local and giving it permission, but non works out.
I would thank if you explain the procedure in detail.

(I did try adding the rc.local n also creating a symbolic link to rcx.local, but unfortu. none works out)

honeybadger 07-21-2012 04:18 AM

How many threads are you going to start for the same issue? Do you think the answers are going to be different this time? You have been replied by some very technically sound people in your last post. Why do you not continue with the same thread?

saman_artorious 07-21-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybadger (Post 4734332)
How many threads are you going to start for the same issue? Do you think the answers are going to be different this time? You have been replied by some very technically sound people in your last post. Why do you not continue with the same thread?

easy, easy. I didn't notice I already asked this question before. Thank for reminding though, I will do report it.

saman_artorious 07-21-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharadchhetri (Post 4732436)
is it " qt exe " a .exe file ?
.exe will not run

It's a qt exe

saman_artorious 07-21-2012 05:58 AM

there is no such ~/.config/autostart folder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 4732450)
Auto-starting a GUI program to open on the Desktop :

Add an entry in /home/<user-name>/.config/autostart/
... The new file can be a "desktop entry" = program.desktop,
or a link to the executable.
Example : ~/.config/autostart/firefox.desktop

.

There is no such folder autostart in .config inside my user folder. I tried
adding it to /etc/xdg/autostart instead, and it failed.

So, where is it? is it the same as using settings->startup application? if so, it's not what i want.
adding an exe to settings-startup does not pop it up as soon as we login. I want the exe to open so that
the user does not even see the desktop background.

this is urgent, what should I do ?

knudfl 07-21-2012 12:28 PM

If no ".config/autostart/" folder : $ mkdir .config/autostart
... Then you can add applications for autostart.

( In Gnome, KDE the directory ".config/autostart/" is generated automatically,
when you add an application in 'System - Settings - Autostart' or Startup ..
https://kororaa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=305 )

.

honeybadger 07-22-2012 03:51 AM

Sorry if I sounded harsh. It was just annoying to see the same person post the same thing.

Tinkster 07-22-2012 04:45 PM

Threads merged - settle people =)

eSelix 07-23-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saman_artorious (Post 4734381)
It's a qt exe

Please by more detailed. By exe you mean an ".exe" file extension (program compiled for Microsoft Windows operating system) or just this is short of "executable" (but file was compiled for Linux system)? For first you need to install "wine" package, it is designed to run Windows programs (but not everything can work). For second you need to add access right for execute this file - in file manager you should have that option under properties of file, in shell you do
Code:

chmod +x /path_to_program/program_name
.

schneidz 07-23-2012 11:34 AM

Code:

[schneidz@hyper breaking-bad]$ cat ~/.bash_profile
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH

#/home/schneidz/nfs-w/leaderboard.ksh &

echo \~ \"\" \$ \^ \&\& \( \) \{ \} \>\> \@ \: \| \_ >> /home/schneidz/.bash_history

alias grep='grep --color=auto'

nautilus &



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.