LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
UKImperium
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to redunce the CPU speed within the operating system.


Hello, Linux users!

Just last night I decided to retire my old MSI gaming laptop by installing a Linux distro. After an hour or so of searching the operating system right for me, I decided to go for Ubuntu MINT. I'm completely new to Linux so it will probably take some time for me to get used to everything since I've been a Windows user for many years. After gaming on this laptop for over two years, I noticed a lot of heat being generated so I used the advanced power management settings to reduce the minimum & maximum processor state to lower the CPU frequency to lower my temps. It worked but now I'm on MINT I have the same problem. I searched around on Google for answers and noticed that most of the answers are a little too advanced for me to understand(Again, I'm a novice). It probably seems crazy that such a novice user is asking such a question but I can't continue to play around with MINT until this problem is sorted.

So is there anyone willing to do their good deed for the day and help?

Last edited by UKImperium; 08-27-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Title spelt wrong!
 
Old 08-27-2017, 04:40 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKImperium View Post
Hello, Linux users!

Just last night I decided to retire my old MSI gaming laptop by installing a Linux distro. After an hour or so of searching the operating system right for me, I decided to go for Ubuntu MINT. I'm completely new to Linux so it will probably take some time for me to get used to everything since I've been a Windows user for many years. After gaming on this laptop for over two years, I noticed a lot of heat being generated so I used the advanced power management settings to reduce the minimum & maximum processor state to lower the CPU frequency to lower my temps. It worked but now I'm on MINT I have the same problem. I searched around on Google for answers and noticed that most of the answers are a little too advanced for me to understand(Again, I'm a novice). It probably seems crazy that such a novice user is asking such a question but I can't continue to play around with MINT until this problem is sorted.

So is there anyone willing to do their good deed for the day and help?
A lot of BIOS's have these kind of settings, but unless you really know what your doing, I would not recommend it.

As the danger is you may brick your PC, in the process.

Maybe explain a little more about your problem; eg. why you think this is an issue for you? what might be causing your processor to over-heat?
 
Old 08-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #3
UKImperium
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The BIOS gives me no such options to downclock the processor hence why I did it through the operating system. Basically, after owning the laptop for a few years I noticed quite a bit of heat coming from it even though the CPU was idling. It was sitting around 50c. It wasn't any sort of software causing it. I even opened the laptop to clear out any dust that may have been causing heat but inside the laptop was surprisingly clean. Changing the minimum & maximum processor state really helped my problem. It caused my CPU to run about 1GHz from 3.5GHz.
 
Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKImperium View Post
The BIOS gives me no such options to downclock the processor hence why I did it through the operating system. Basically, after owning the laptop for a few years I noticed quite a bit of heat coming from it even though the CPU was idling. It was sitting around 50c. It wasn't any sort of software causing it. I even opened the laptop to clear out any dust that may have been causing heat but inside the laptop was surprisingly clean. Changing the minimum & maximum processor state really helped my problem. It caused my CPU to run about 1GHz from 3.5GHz.
How old is it, exactly?
 
Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
UKImperium
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The laptop is about three years old maybe a bit older.
 
Old 08-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #6
dejank
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 229

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Basically, if I understand you well, you want to reduce CPU frequency. For that, you could use cpufrequtils. You should be able to install it on all Debian based distros, which Mint is. Generally, for heat problems on laptops, you sure want tlp and tlp-rdw installed and enabled, perhaps even thermald. Just google those names and you will find more about those and how to use them.

edit: Oh, yes, there is also cpupower command that comes with linux-cpupower package and should be doing same thing as cpufrequitils. Some prefer it. See for yourself what will be better for you. Would suggest to go for better maintained tools.

Last edited by dejank; 08-27-2017 at 05:17 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
UKImperium
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you, dejank. I will Google them all and see what they are about. If I have questions I will continue posting on this thread.
 
Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #8
UKImperium
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Okay, update:

I used cpufrequtils and followed this page: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_use_cpufrequtils And I think I got my maximum CPU speed to 1GHz. After I did this I types cpufreq-info where it said 'current CPU frequency is 1.00HGz(asserted by call to hardware). So I can only assume that it's now done. This should keep my temps cooler. But I have another question that remains to be asked: Will need to be done each time I boot?
 
Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
dejank
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 229

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Frankly, have no idea. Never used those commands much, I just know that they exist and played with them a bit. Think that you can find that out easily by yourself, just reboot and see. In case that settings are lost during reboot, which I assume is true, you can make systemd unit for it, so it is executed on every reboot automatically, or run it via cron with after reboot option ( which may be easier for you to set up ). For more information about how to setup cron, just google it, should return plenty of examples.
 
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKImperium View Post
Okay, update:

I used cpufrequtils and followed this page: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_use_cpufrequtils And I think I got my maximum CPU speed to 1GHz. After I did this I types cpufreq-info where it said 'current CPU frequency is 1.00HGz(asserted by call to hardware). So I can only assume that it's now done. This should keep my temps cooler. But I have another question that remains to be asked: Will need to be done each time I boot?
Don't really know ether but, it may well depend on your Linux distro.
 
Old 08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 4,137
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873Reputation: 873
You might look at one of those fan base things to aid in cooling. They're like $10 at a few box stores. When a PII was my primary machine I opted for a $10 walmart fan over a new PSU ($40). I extended my old laptop a few years with tricks like that. Otherwise limit the load on the machine so the CPU never revs up in the first place. For $80-ish you can get an 8 core arm device and interact with it via vnc or x2go with your old laptop as a dumb client. Then again you can get a new laptop for $100-ish these days.

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

Oddly mildly easier than finding a display < 22" and near $100 with better than 1000:1 contrast ratio.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Operating System thread level monitoring & memory, CPU usage on service with OpenNMS jitenderana Linux - Newbie 7 11-06-2012 09:07 AM
'Operating system not found' Any operating system installed wont work. TechniSlave Linux - Newbie 55 02-09-2009 11:02 AM
system clock runs at twice speed on dual core cpu samkraju Fedora 4 10-08-2007 06:09 PM
difference between CPU speed and System clock frequency raees Linux - Software 1 04-26-2005 06:03 PM
please help guys, wrong cpu speed shown with a regular non-mobile cpu !! : ( maku Linux - Hardware 1 01-02-2005 02:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration