LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
chip939
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2016
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
how to prevent comcast infinity from bumping me off my router


I connect to Comcast via a motorola Surfboard SBG 6580. Every once in a while my lap top and desktop wifi drop my router connection and hook up to xfinity wifi. Comcast tech states they cannot change my settings to prevent this because I am not using their modem. It seems I need to configure my settings on my lap that that runs with Linux Mint 17.

I would appreciate any help in finding a way to block my laptop from connecting to xfinity.

Thank you.
 
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,605

Rep: Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165
Is there a reason you need two routers? Is your router a commercial SOHO unit or something else? Are they located next to each other?

There could be many reasons why your laptop is dropping wifi connection from your router.

You should be able to configure bridge mode in the Comcast unit so it bypasses its router functionality. Your router will then connect straight to the internet. Do you have cables going to both units? Are you using your router as a wifi extender?

I would expect there is a setting in the Comcast router to turn off its wifi.

If you remove the Comcast SSID from NetworkManager it will not automatically switch but for the case of your desktop that would leave you not connected until it comes back.

If your desktop loses wifi connection since I assume it never moves I suspect your router's wifi is starting to go bad or maybe you have to many wifi devices connecting to it at the same time.
 
Old 10-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
farslayer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,248
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
Open a terminal

Code:
cd /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections 
sudo rm {wifi_accesspoint_name}
that should make your system forget about the xfinity wifi network.


Bridge mode https://routerguide.net/motorola-sur...ge-mode-guide/
and I agree if you are using your own wifi router, turn off the wifi in the Motorola cablemodem

Last edited by farslayer; 10-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
chip939
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
Is there a reason you need two routers? Is your router a commercial SOHO unit or something else? Are they located next to each other?

There could be many reasons why your laptop is dropping wifi connection from your router.

You should be able to configure bridge mode in the Comcast unit so it bypasses its router functionality. Your router will then connect straight to the internet. Do you have cables going to both units? Are you using your router as a wifi extender?

I would expect there is a setting in the Comcast router to turn off its wifi.

If you remove the Comcast SSID from NetworkManager it will not automatically switch but for the case of your desktop that would leave you not connected until it comes back.

If your desktop loses wifi connection since I assume it never moves I suspect your router's wifi is starting to go bad or maybe you have to many wifi devices connecting to it at the same time.

Thanks for your response Michaelk. I have one Motorola router that connects to the incoming Comcast cable directly.
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
chip939
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by farslayer View Post
Open a terminal

Code:
cd /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections 
sudo rm {wifi_accesspoint_name}
that should make your system forget about the xfinity wifi network.


Bridge mode https://routerguide.net/motorola-sur...ge-mode-guide/
and I agree if you are using your own wifi router, turn off the wifi in the Motorola cablemodem
Not sure why this in not working:

bill@bill-UL80VT /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections $ ls
ATT5s8h4X3
Auto ATT4yQ6Bbw
Auto CGNVM-2298
Auto CherryPie
Auto Dallen-guest
Auto Google Starbucks
Auto HolidayInnExpress GainesvilleFL
Auto HOME-69F2
Auto HOME-69F2-1439a518-5d09-4f1b-ad28-023d8b29db35
Auto selby-library-guest
Auto StayTheFuckOffThisWifi
Auto unplugged
Auto xfinitywifi
DIRECT-roku-704
intech
MOTOROLA-802C1
Zoom55eb
bill@bill-UL80VT /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections $ sudo rm Auto xfinitywifi
[sudo] password for bill:
rm: cannot remove ‘Auto’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘xfinitywifi’: No such file or directory
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,605

Rep: Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165Reputation: 4165
Quote:
I have one Motorola router that connects to the incoming Comcast cable directly.
Quote:
Every once in a while my lap top and desktop wifi drop my router connection and hook up to xfinity wifi.
So xfinitywifi is a neighbor or an open access point and your home SSID is something else?

Try
sudo rm "Auto xfinitywifi"

Your neighbors wifi could be interfering with your signal. You might want to try changing channels.
Cordless phones or other RF devices could be interfering with your wifi.
The wifi on your router could be going bad.
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
chip939
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
So xfinitywifi is a neighbor or an open access point and your home SSID is something else?

Try
sudo rm "Auto xfinitywifi"

Your neighbors wifi could be interfering with your signal. You might want to try changing channels.
Cordless phones or other RF devices could be interfering with your wifi.
The wifi on your router could be going bad.
Thanks Michaelk. This seems to have done the trick and removed "Auto xfinitywifi" from my list of connections !
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting router to Comcast mickeyboa Linux - Networking 4 09-16-2010 12:16 AM
What is the best router that can prevent most DDoS for under $5k? abefroman Linux - Security 2 03-02-2006 09:26 AM
Comcast wireless router not connecting jdknshld Linux - Wireless Networking 2 09-05-2005 04:35 PM
Slackware 9.1, PCI or onboard NIC, Comcast through a router Frogmum Linux - Networking 11 12-13-2003 05:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration