Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Here's an embarrassing one - sorry, I have searched.
I have a working broadband connection via a router/modem, that comes up automatically when booting and works fine. But my pc also has a modem in it, which I keep in case my broadband ever goes down.
For the dial-up, I have done what I think is the hard bit - I've waded through all the modem how-to's, identified my modem chipset, found a driver, installed it and recompiled the kernel; I've set up an account with kppp and connected successfully to my ISP on dial-up, using kppp.
But - how do I make my web browser use the dial-up connection? In Windows my browser and my email client also preferentially use that the broadband connection, so I go to the network bit of the control panel, and 'disable internet connection'.
Originally posted by 2damncommon Temporarily or permanently?
then start your dialup connection.
Disconnect from your dialup, then,
would be a temporary solution.
Thanks. Yes temporary, for testing purposes. I assume this won't be a problem when I really need it, i.e. when broadband is actually down.
But, ifdown gives me a bash: command not found
No man ifdown.
Can't find 'ifdown' on my system, if it's a script.
I assume from the command that if I could do it, it would disable my NIC, so I wouldn't be connected to my home network either - not necessarily the end of the world by any means, as this is only for extraordinary use - but the Windows equivalent only takes down the broadband connection, and leaves my lan network connection alive.
But I think I am being even stupider than I thought - I can use my router config to take down the broadband connection, of course.
But then I still don't know how to get my browser to use the dial-up connection. It doesn't seem to automatically find it when started up. I've tried with Konqueror and Mozilla.
On IE, I'd use Tools-Internet Options - Connections to pick which one it uses, but I can't find anything similar in my Linux browsers.
I have used the ifup and ifdown command on Debian, Suse, and Mandrake. I am not 100% sure it is available on Slack, would think it is.
You would need to issue the command as root.
Do you know how to use the su command in a terminal?
Right, well I've kind of cracked it.
1. At prompt, ifconfig eth0 down
2. startx to KDE
3. kppp to dial up
4. Konqueror then will browse
5. Logout and reboot, to get it working on broadband again
If, after closing Konqueror I exit KDE and do ifconfig eth0 up, then I do get my ethernet connection back, but I must have lost more than that when I took it down, because Konqueror is all confused and can't browse. So I have to reboot. Ah well, it'll do in an emergency I suppose, though why it isn't possible to direct the browser to a known connection is completely beyond me.
In the process I thought there may be some configuration of the browser required - I can't find anything like that for Konqueror.
I did find the config stuff for Mozilla. Now Mozilla is totally broken, it just offers me 2 profiles when I try to start it (one of which is the one that previously worked) then hangs as soon as I pick one.
Well, I searched the forum and found that Mozilla frequently corrupts its profile and the thing to do is just to delete it and let it create a new one next time it gets started.
Which I have. Now I can use a sort of default Mozilla, though I find that it won't submit searches to Google - it browses web pages OK, when entered in the url field, but seems not to know how to submit text in a text box using get or post whatever - Mozilla is a joke.