LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
leat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
hey gaiz help me out


ok i just installed ubuntu on my pc and after the start up scripts all run it stops at a line saying

ubuntu 6.06 lts ubuntu tty1

so i hit enter then it promts my to log in to type my username and pass and it runs some more scrips saying my last login and that all the software is free and some stuff about loging in as root

so i hit enter again and im faced with "myusername@ubuntu:~$"


if i hit enter anymore times it keeps running that same line and if i type anything it says "-bash command not found"

wtf do i do now?

Last edited by leat; 02-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
sleekmason
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Distribution: Sidux. Others on occasion.
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 31
It sounds like you will need to type " startx " without the quotes. That should bring you to a graphical interface. After that you will need to find out why it isnt booting directly into x environment.
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
BrianK
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,334

Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by leat View Post
ok i just installed ubuntu on my pc and after the start up scripts all run it stops at a line saying

ubuntu 6.06 lts ubuntu tty1

so i hit enter then it promts my to log in to type my username and pass and it runs some more scrips saying my last login and that all the software is free and some stuff about loging in as root

so i hit enter again and im faced with "myusername@ubuntu:~$"


if i hit enter anymore times it keeps running that same line and if i type anything it says "-bash command not found"

wtf do i do now?
what version of ubuntu did you install - desktop or server?

what happens if you type a standard command, like "ls" at that username@ubuntu:~$ prompt? does it say command not found or give you a listing?

what's the output of "cat /etc/issue"?
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
leat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
how do i even use this command prompt? do i just type or do i have to put "username@ubuntu:" before everything i type
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
leat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
what version of ubuntu did you install - desktop or server?
no idea i got disk from a friend and it does not say
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
sleekmason
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Distribution: Sidux. Others on occasion.
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 31
after you have entered your password, and it says myusername@ubuntu:~$" type startx Does that bring you to a graphical interface?
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
leat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekmason View Post
after you have entered your password, and it says myusername@ubuntu:~$" type startx Does that bring you to a graphical interface?
no it says "-bash: startx: command not found"
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
That does sound like ubuntu server, which comes without any GUI at all. What if you type sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop? That should install the gnome desktop environment. But if you ask me, you may as well get a more recent release. 6.06 may be LTS but it's still old and more likely to give you all kinds of hardware issues that were solved in later releases.
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
leat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
That does sound like ubuntu server, which comes without any GUI at all. What if you type sudo aptitude install gnome-desktop? That should install the gnome desktop environment. But if you ask me, you may as well get a more recent release. 6.06 may be LTS but it's still old and more likely to give you all kinds of hardware issues that were solved in later releases.
what version sould i download?

ive obviusly had this version for a long time just sitting around
 
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
I would suggest the latest, Ubuntu Gutsy Desktop a.k.a. Ubuntu 7.10 desktop.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
 
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
BrianK
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,334

Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
I would suggest the latest, Ubuntu Gutsy Desktop a.k.a. Ubuntu 7.10 desktop.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
+1 on this recommendation.

Just note that when you pop the CD in, it will take a LONG time to boot. Once it does, it will appear that the OS already installed, but it hasn't. You'll have to click the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop to actually do the install. After the install completes, remove the CD, reboot & you're on your way.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey Hey it's the monkee! - Introduction / What do y'all think of RealBasic? MonkeeOfEvil General 6 08-19-2009 04:48 AM
Hey there ediblespread LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 03-24-2007 01:36 PM
hey there moonlightcheese LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 02-06-2007 01:55 PM
Hey there! jononearm LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 3 01-18-2007 01:35 AM
Hey All Marine Warrior LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 07-19-2004 03:31 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration