LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Grub rescue problem (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/grub-rescue-problem-4175427493/)

tusharkumar 09-16-2012 07:52 AM

Grub rescue problem
 
I've installed Fedora (dev/sda1) and Ubuntu (dev/sda2) on my system. Now, I've formatted dev/sda2 from Fedora. After rebooting,

Quote:

grub rescue
is shown. I've researched every bit of information available on internet but I couldn't find anything that will sove this problem. The real problem is that when I write

Quote:

insmod normal
it gives an error message:

Quote:

error: file not found.
Please help.

2armz 09-16-2012 11:49 AM

hmmm not sure what that means. Maybe you killed the bootloader, :\. grub can be finicky at points.. have you tried to repair the bootloader?

yancek 09-16-2012 07:27 PM

Did you isntall in that order; Fedora then Ubuntu? If so, did you accept the defaults for Ubuntu? That would have installed the Ubuntu Grub2 bootloader to the mbr pointing to the Grub files on the Ubuntu partition (sda2) which you then formatted making them inaccessible. Do you now just have Fedora? Can you boot anything? Do you have a Live CD of either FEdora or Ubuntu? If so, boot one of them and google "bootinfoscript", go to the site read the instructions and download and run the script. If you can't figure out the solution, post the results.txt file which the bootinfoscript outputs.

tusharkumar 09-17-2012 12:12 AM

Did you isntall in that order; Fedora then Ubuntu?

> Yes, I installed Fedora and then Ubuntu.

If so, did you accept the defaults for Ubuntu?

> Yes, Ubuntu bootloader was installed at MBR pointing to sda2.

That would have installed the Ubuntu Grub2 bootloader to the mbr pointing to the Grub files on the Ubuntu partition (sda2) which you then formatted making them inaccessible.

Do you now just have Fedora?

> Yes, I have only Fedora on sda1.

Can you boot anything?

> No. Just 'grub rescue' is displayed when I turn on my machine.

Do you have a Live CD of either FEdora or Ubuntu?

> Yes, I've both.

If so, boot one of them and google "bootinfoscript", go to the site read the instructions and download and run the script. If you can't figure out the solution, post the results.txt file which the bootinfoscript outputs.

> bootinfoscript is great but I had already installed ubuntu yesterday. Thanks you guys for info. Long live Freedom!

zhjim 09-17-2012 01:41 AM

Grub rescue is most of the time enough to get a system boot again. See here http://www.it-muecke.de/node/463. Also in german you might get your system up and running again. If not post question or I translate it.

tusharkumar 09-18-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhjim (Post 4782029)
Grub rescue is most of the time enough to get a system boot again. See here http://www.it-muecke.de/node/463. Also in german you might get your system up and running again. If not post question or I translate it.

Thanks for sharing that link but as I've mentioned before 'insmod normal' is not working. From the link you mentioned, I have one more question. Why is 'insmod linux' mentioned before 'insmod normal'? Almost all forums or tutorials I checked, everyone mentioned only 'insmod normal'.

el chapulín 09-18-2012 12:12 PM

You probably installed the grub from ubuntu over the mbr on the disk where fedora is installed, so now grub stage 1 is pointing to the wrong device and you formatted that device... The best way to fix this is to boot from a livecd/boot disk, chroot into the system and reinstall grub.

zhjim 09-19-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharkumar (Post 4783397)
Thanks for sharing that link but as I've mentioned before 'insmod normal' is not working. From the link you mentioned, I have one more question. Why is 'insmod linux' mentioned before 'insmod normal'? Almost all forums or tutorials I checked, everyone mentioned only 'insmod normal'.

I only found this that mentioned insmod nomral as well as insmod linux (See update 3). http://askubuntu.com/questions/11959...own-filesystem
I did not found any description of the grub modules.

Maybe if you give the path to the normal module maybe it gets loaded. I know that this contradicts with what is written in the link i provided but who knows. ls in grub normaly has tab completion don't know if its the same with rescue. Else you just have to traverse the dirs and ls them on your way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.