LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
qdj544
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
grub and windows8


I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a HP ENVY dv6 portable running Win8 (brand new) in a separate partition than Windows8.
No problem installing but not boot menu (grub) on restart. I do not have a swap partition.
A forum tells me to use EaseBCD to add an entry and make sure to use grub2. Now I get a boot menu but linux won't start because of "an error in the file or a missing file".
The forum also tells me to install grub to the root partition (or a /boot partition) but the installation does not ask for the location and I do not know how to install grub in a specific place.
No problem with Windows8 lest that there is another step to the boot sequence but that's OK.
Everything in the forum works but Linux!
Any suggestions? Not to far fetched since I have my limits in these configurations.
Thanks in advance.
Donald (qdj544)
 
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,182

Rep: Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562Reputation: 2562
Any reason you didn't consider this?

"You can choose between two options when you download Ubuntu for a desktop PC. Ubuntu 13.04 gives you all the latest features"

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
 
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,383

Rep: Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415
Quote:
but the installation does not ask for the location
If you selected the option "Something Else" then you would see the option. It is 'Device for bootloader installation'. Could not be more clear than that. Did you select the 'auto-install' method, 'Install Alongside windows'? Not sure if you will see anything with that option as I've never used it but any time you select a 'Manual', 'Expert' or 'Something Else' option, the Device for bootloader installation is there.

Quote:
A forum tells me to use EaseBCD to add an entry and make sure to use grub2
What forum? Is it explaining Grub2 or Grub Legacy? Are you using EasyBCD to boot windows and Ubuntu? Your post isn't clear. If you were planning to use EasyBCD to boot the systm, you should have installed Grub to the root partition, where you installed Ubuntu. If you are getting an error "file not found" or something similar, then your boot configuration is pointing to the wrong location or the file isn't there. Best thing to do is get more info. Go to the site below, read the instructions, download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output here, a results.txt file. Since you can't boot Ubuntu, you will need to use the Live CD as it is a bash script.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
 
Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
qdj544
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdj544 View Post
I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a HP ENVY dv6 portable running Win8 (brand new) in a separate partition than Windows8.
No problem installing but not boot menu (grub) on restart. I do not have a swap partition.
A forum tells me to use EaseBCD to add an entry and make sure to use grub2. Now I get a boot menu but linux won't start because of "an error in the file or a missing file".
The forum also tells me to install grub to the root partition (or a /boot partition) but the installation does not ask for the location and I do not know how to install grub in a specific place.
No problem with Windows8 lest that there is another step to the boot sequence but that's OK.
Everything in the forum works but Linux!
Any suggestions? Not to far fetched since I have my limits in these configurations.
Thanks in advance.
Donald (qdj544)
Sorry for the delay, I blew it with EasyBCD and lost the PC.
I am actually reinstalling but I shall be back.
However, I still don't know how to install GRUB in a given spot!
Thanks to those who cared.
 
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,383

Rep: Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415Reputation: 1415
Quote:
However, I still don't know how to install GRUB in a given spot!
Use the Something Else option at the beginning of the install. When you get to Allocate Drive Space window, near the bottom you should see "Device for bootloader installation". Just below it is a tab with a down arrow on the extreme right. Click the arrow to see the different options. /dev/sda is the default which would install to the mbr of the first drive. You should be able to select a partition if you have another bootloader to use.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Dual boot Windows8 + Ubuntu 12.04.2 gone wrong jot Ubuntu 8 12-26-2013 11:17 AM
Linux on Windows8 leif.lieng Linux - General 9 06-01-2013 01:51 PM
[SOLVED] Not enough space for Debian install on windows8 hard disk? lugoteehalt Linux - Software 5 01-08-2013 05:33 AM
Samba network and windows8...anyone? ahzthecat General 2 12-03-2012 06:40 PM
dual boot Linux Mint 12 - Windows8 Dev Preview P5music Linux - Newbie 2 03-21-2012 11:21 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration