LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Richard14
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Near Ludlow
Distribution: Ubuntu 15.10
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Get_iPlayer Not working .... Why ?


Do you know that Get_iPlayer Not working .... Why ?

This is what Get_iPlayer said in terminal -

INFO: Getting tv Index Feeds
.................
Matches:
1: BBC iPlayer Feeds - -, BBC Parliament, HD,Highlights,Popular, default,audiodescribed,signed,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
(END)


Can anyone help please

Thanks

Rich
 
Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Maybe this is the reason:

get_iplayer dropped in response to BBC’s lack of support for open source
Where did you get get_iplayer and what version are you using. What command did you type in at the terminal?
jdk
 
Old 11-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
I read fairly recently (for me that's in the last year or so, probably) something about the BBC were dropping the unencrypted streams they provided for the iProducts, I think. As I recall something to do with agreeing DRM with Apple either as HTML5 or other. Sadly my google-fu is weak presently so no links.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Richard14
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Near Ludlow
Distribution: Ubuntu 15.10
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Get_iplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Maybe this is the reason:

get_iplayer dropped in response to BBC’s lack of support for open source
Where did you get get_iplayer and what version are you using. What command did you type in at the terminal?
jdk
Ver 2.80-1 from Ubuntu software centre

I type in Terminal the usual to start Get_iPlayer which was:-

"get-iplayer |less" (without "")

and I got this responce:-

INFO: Getting tv Index Feeds
.................
Matches:
1: BBC iPlayer Feeds - -, BBC Parliament, HD,Highlights,Popular, default,audiodescribed,signed,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
(END)



Thanks for responce,

Rich
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Richard14
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Near Ludlow
Distribution: Ubuntu 15.10
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks 273 for your input.

It's sad that BBC, APPLE and others do not support free software.

In my Opinion we (free software world) should not support them either or even boycott them.


Rich
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
It is still possible to watch BBC programming streaming using Flash and if I understand correctly once DRM comes to HTML5 officially Linux users will be able to play all the video as long as we accept the DRM plugins.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
It is still possible to watch BBC programming streaming using Flash and if I understand correctly once DRM comes to HTML5 officially Linux users will be able to play all the video as long as we accept the DRM plugins.
Yes, I can confirm that. I can watch both live and archived programming on the iPlayer of the BBC website. But what DRM plugins are you referring to? I'm not aware of having any DRM plugins. If I do have any, I will certainly remove them at once.
jdk
 
Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Yes, I can confirm that. I can watch both live and archived programming on the iPlayer of the BBC website. But what DRM plugins are you referring to? I'm not aware of having any DRM plugins. If I do have any, I will certainly remove them at once.
jdk
At present the DRM plugin is Adobe Flash. In future Firefox, and other browsers, will gain DRM support or, in the case of Firefox, a DRM plugin allowing them to play DRM video natively. It is though that this will replace Flash or Silverlight as the default way of streaming rights-protected video on the internet.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If I understand you we are talking about plugins that allow you to view DRM-ed videos. If that's correct then would libdvdcss also be called a DRM library for DVD's?
jdk
 
Old 11-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
If I understand you we are talking about plugins that allow you to view DRM-ed videos. If that's correct then would libdvdcss also be called a DRM library for DVD's?
jdk
Yes, CSS was one of the first (and first cracked) DRM schemes to come out of the Hollywood cartel. Prior to that copy protection wasn't digital but analogue and relied upon quirks of the televisions at the time and things like that.
(The above being, perhaps, oversimplified a little.)
 
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
arizonagroovejet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: England
Distribution: openSUSE, Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 1,093

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
get_iplayer no longer works as it did before because the BBC have discontinued the feeds it used. You can read all about it in the mailing list which is linked from the get_iplayer website
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer...t_iplayer.html


http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...er/thread.html look for '[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available'

It is still possible to use get_iplayer but you have to find the pid from the iPlayer website yourself and give that to get_iplayer.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonagroovejet View Post
get_iplayer no longer works as it did before because the BBC have discontinued the feeds it used. You can read all about it in the mailing list which is linked from the get_iplayer website
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer...t_iplayer.html


http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...er/thread.html look for '[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available'

It is still possible to use get_iplayer but you have to find the pid from the iPlayer website yourself and give that to get_iplayer.
The weird thing is that it was supposed to stop working back in 2011 (roughly, see last updated date at the bottom of the website) but it didn't. I used it personally after it was announced that the original developer had dropped the project and I am sure that I have read reports possibly as late as the beginning of this year that it was still working. So it seems that the demise predicted way back then may have finally occurred.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
arizonagroovejet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: England
Distribution: openSUSE, Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 1,093

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
The weird thing is that it was supposed to stop working back in 2011 (roughly, see last updated date at the bottom of the website) but it didn't. I used it personally after it was announced that the original developer had dropped the project and I am sure that I have read reports possibly as late as the beginning of this year that it was still working. So it seems that the demise predicted way back then may have finally occurred.
I can't find the thing you cite as saying it was supposed to stop working in 2011 and I'm not seeing anything that's weird. This is not the first time that the functionality of get_iplayer has a taken a hit due to the BBC changing something and it is pretty much inevitable that such hits in functionality will occur. It is a risk inherent in accessing a service in a manner other than that intended by the operator of that service. The BBC could surely have done something to prevent get_iplayer working, or at least actively made it very difficult to make it keep working, and yet six years or so on and it still works. It doesn't work as nicely as it did a few days ago, but it still works. You just have to put in a bit more effort to tell it what you want it to get.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,848

Rep: Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952Reputation: 1952
I guessed at it around 2011 as that was the last date the site linked to was modified. The original developer dropped the project after finding out that the BBC did not approve of it, that was back in 2010:
http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer-d...or-open-source
Since then I have read various reports at various points stating that it was supposed to stop working for various reasons then, just as I think it has finally stopped working somebody comes along who states that it is still working. I am not making any statements personally about whether or not it works now just commenting that reports of circumstances stopping it from working go back a long way.
 
Old 11-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
Fred Caro
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 999

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
In the meantime hopfully get-flash-videos still works!

Fred.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Errors on Get_iPlayer Richard14 Linux - Software 1 06-09-2013 10:30 AM
Get_iPlayer ? Richard14 Linux - Software 2 04-11-2013 04:01 AM
get_iplayer, get_iplayer.cgi, crontab and users! Best way to set up auto recording pointer2null Linux - General 0 03-30-2012 03:50 PM
get_iplayer says No specified modes available acampbell Linux - Desktop 1 10-08-2009 01:26 PM
get_iplayer and flvstreamer dave444 Linux - Newbie 3 07-04-2009 05:22 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration