LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Firefox and unicode charactorsHe (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/firefox-and-unicode-charactorshe-4175466839/)

skoda 06-21-2013 03:37 AM

Firefox and unicode charactorsHe
 
Hello,

firefox 17.x in my centos 5 does not display unicode charactors. All i see is boxes. PLease help me to solve this issue.

THank you

jdkaye 06-21-2013 03:41 AM

In FFx go to the View menu and then to the Character Encoding item. Click on Unicode (UTF-8).
ciao,
jdk

skoda 06-21-2013 03:58 AM

Hai mate,

this option already selected and still showing boxes only.
btw, this option is changing to site by site. when i viewing this website it auto switch to western iso.

i also tried auto view > char encoding> auto detect > universal. still same.

shm0 06-21-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoda (Post 4975902)
Hai mate,

this option already selected and still showing boxes only.
btw, this option is changing to site by site. when i viewing this website it auto switch to western iso.

i also tried auto view > char encoding> auto detect > universal. still same.

Follow the solutions mentioned here, they include creating a new profile and deleting cache.

skoda 06-21-2013 10:33 AM

sorry folks,
creating a new profile and clearing cash did not help.
so i just downloaded the ttf font (in my case it's tamil font) and just intstalled it into /usr/shares/fonts
an issued the following and now webpages are showing tamil font.
fc-cache <path-to-font-directory>

jdkaye 06-21-2013 11:19 AM

I checked the Mozilla site and Tamil is not one of the supported languages. That probably explains your difficulties.
jdk

skoda 06-21-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkaye (Post 4976115)
I checked the Mozilla site and Tamil is not one of the supported languages. That probably explains your difficulties.
jdk

Thank you buddy, thank you guys!!

DavidMcCann 06-22-2013 01:29 PM

When they say Firefox doesn't support Tamil, they mean it's not available with Tamil menus and messages. I doubt that they support Avar, but I've just loaded a Wikipedia page in that language!

Blocks means the wrong encoding or no suitable font available. Can you use Tamil with other applications?

skoda 06-22-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMcCann (Post 4976672)
When they say Firefox doesn't support Tamil, they mean it's not available with Tamil menus and messages. I doubt that they support Avar, but I've just loaded a Wikipedia page in that language!

Blocks means the wrong encoding or no suitable font available. Can you use Tamil with other applications?

Yah now i can view tamil pages and type in tamil on other applications like google search.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.