LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   finger command (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/finger-command-771871/)

vinaytp 11-27-2009 05:14 AM

finger command
 
Hi all...

I have only 4 terminal windows open.
In the below output first entry tty7 belongs to which terminal ?

Code:

[vinay@TEG test]$ finger
Login    Name        Tty      Idle  Login Time  Office    Office Phone
vinay    Vinay T P  tty7          Nov 27 09:56 (:0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/1    1:07  Nov 27 09:56 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/2          Nov 27 12:49 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/3    2:50  Nov 27 12:49 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/4      33  Nov 27 15:05 (:0.0)


centosboy 11-27-2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaytp (Post 3771178)
Hi all...

I have only 4 terminal windows open.
In the below output first entry tty7 belongs to which terminal ?

Code:

[vinay@TEG test]$ finger
Login    Name        Tty      Idle  Login Time  Office    Office Phone
vinay    Vinay T P  tty7          Nov 27 09:56 (:0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/1    1:07  Nov 27 09:56 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/2          Nov 27 12:49 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/3    2:50  Nov 27 12:49 (:0.0)
vinay    Vinay T P  pts/4      33  Nov 27 15:05 (:0.0)


this looks like a terminal opened at the host machine, but not within X as it is not a pseudo terminal.
Maybe it was opened using Ctrl + Alt + F? keys ?? or Ctrl + F?? keys??

vinaytp 11-27-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centosboy (Post 3771211)
this looks like a terminal opened at the host machine, but not within X as it is not a pseudo terminal.
Maybe it was opened using Ctrl + Alt + F? keys ?? or Ctrl + F?? keys??

Thanks centosboy..
Yes its opened in host machine...But why one extra entry in the output of finger command ?

Can anyone pls tell what tty7 refers to ?

centosboy 11-29-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaytp (Post 3771216)
Thanks centosboy..
Yes its opened in host machine...But why one extra entry in the output of finger command ?

Can anyone pls tell what tty7 refers to ?

as i said above. the shell was opened using ctrl + f keys.
it is a real terminal rather then a virtual or pseudo.

tty = (teletypewriter) terminal
pty = pseudo terminal
vty = virtual teletype terminal


ctrl + alt + F2 will most likely get you back to that terminal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.