LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 9
Fedora 23 does not know "Download" directory


Hi,

I have fedora 23 installed as my desktop and I had no problem with my directories. But now I receive a weird message when I want to open "Download" directory saying:

Quote:
Unable to find the requested file. Please check the spelling and try again
How can I solve this problem?
 
Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
timl
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora,CentOS
Posts: 683

Rep: Reputation: 151Reputation: 151
could you tell us how you tried to access the directory pls, eg.
Quote:
[tim@riverside ~]$ cd Downloads/
[tim@riverside Downloads]$ pwd
/home/tim/Downloads
[tim@riverside Downloads]$
Cheers
*EDIT* Note "Downloads" not "Download"
 
Old 05-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by timl View Post
could you tell us how you tried to access the directory pls, eg.

Cheers
*EDIT* Note "Downloads" not "Download"
The directory did not show up in Home but I saw it in the left side bar and when I click on the icon "Downloads" a pop up appears and says the message I just brought in my former post.

I also checked ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs it was like this:

Quote:
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
"~/.config/user-dirs.dirs" 15L, 632C
So, I edited it and added Downloads but still no result.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How are you attempting to open the directory? From the command line, or from within a file management utility? If from the command line, could you tell us the exact command you entered? It would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot of the result of "ls -lia". For this command, you need to be in the parent directory of the one you want to open.

We need more information if we are going to be able to help.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedearduff View Post
How are you attempting to open the directory? From the command line, or from within a file management utility? If from the command line, could you tell us the exact command you entered? It would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot of the result of "ls -lia". For this command, you need to be in the parent directory of the one you want to open.

We need more information if we are going to be able to help.
Here is a screenshot of my home directory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160511_101209.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	21749  
 
Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #6
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
So, you get the error message when you click on the "Downloads" folder icon? The one highlighted in blue, on the left side of the screen shot?
 
Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 AM   #7
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedearduff View Post
So, you get the error message when you click on the "Downloads" folder icon? The one highlighted in blue, on the left side of the screen shot?
yes
 
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Based on what you stated in post #3 above, it looks like you are attempting to use your home directory as your "Download" directory.


XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"


The above quote (in blue) is what I'm going on. Start an xterm and execute "ls -lia | more" and watch for a listing for Download or Downloads. If you see either, change the line I quoted to include the one from the ls command. If you do not have a Download or Downloads directory, create the one you want and then edit the file to reflect that directory. To create the Downloads directory, make sure you are in your home directory and execute "mkdir Downloads.

The line I quoted above should look like the following, assuming you have a directory called Downloads.

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"

If you changed the line from XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/" to XDG_DOWNLOADS_DIR="$HOME/", you should change it back to XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/" because the system will be expecting the environment variable XDG_DOWNLOAD, not XDG_DOWNLOADS.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 AM   #9
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedearduff View Post
Based on what you stated in post #3 above, it looks like you are attempting to use your home directory as your "Download" directory.


XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"


The above quote (in blue) is what I'm going on. Start an xterm and execute "ls -lia | more" and watch for a listing for Download or Downloads. If you see either, change the line I quoted to include the one from the ls command. If you do not have a Download or Downloads directory, create the one you want and then edit the file to reflect that directory. To create the Downloads directory, make sure you are in your home directory and execute "mkdir Downloads.

The line I quoted above should look like the following, assuming you have a directory called Downloads.

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"

If you changed the line from XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/" to XDG_DOWNLOADS_DIR="$HOME/", you should change it back to XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/" because the system will be expecting the environment variable XDG_DOWNLOAD, not XDG_DOWNLOADS.
I changed to XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads", and created a new directory by mkdir Downloads. And files are being downloaded there. But it seems that I have lost all my previous downloads.

Last edited by sryzdn; 05-11-2016 at 01:59 AM.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 02:07 AM   #10
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It looks like the system would have been saving your downloads in your home directory. The way it was set up, that is likely where they are. If they are not there, they are probably gone. IN the screen shot you posted (post #5) earlier, it looks like there are some files that I would have expected to see in a download folder. I see several files that look like they would be videos and one PDF and another that looks like it would be some type of document.

Good luck, I hope you find your missing files or can easily download them again.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 02:15 AM   #11
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedearduff View Post
Good luck, I hope you find your missing files or can easily download them again.
yes I have plenty of time...
But, seriously, what does it mean that the downloaded files are GONE? gone where?

Last edited by sryzdn; 05-11-2016 at 02:17 AM.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 AM   #12
timl
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora,CentOS
Posts: 683

Rep: Reputation: 151Reputation: 151
Do you normally operate in the command line or GUI? If you use the command line a lot I would try:
Quote:
cat .bash_history | grep -i downloads
from your home directory. This will show you every time you have entered a command which affected Downloads and may help to solve your puzzle
 
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryzdn View Post
yes I have plenty of time...
But, seriously, what does it mean that the downloaded files are GONE? gone where?
If they were all downloaded using a program that used the environment variable we worked with above, I see two possibilities. First, they were placed in your home directory. Second, they were downloaded to a temporary directory and not moved to your target directory.

When you first downloaded the missing files, did you do anything with them? Are you sure they were ever successfully downloaded?

If they were there for a while, I suspect that they were placed in your home directory and at some point were deleted because they were not where you thought they should be and you considered them duplicate copies.

Most applications that make use of environment variables have default values for them. The one we were dealing with was placing your downloads in your home directory. Assuming that the application works as expected, any files downloaded while this was true should be in your home directory. With the information available to me, I suspect that they were in your home directory until they were either moved or deleted.

Do you have a list of the missing files? If not, could you come up with one? If so, there is a brute force way to see if they are still somewhere on your file system. How many files are missing? The most basic, brute force, way would be to cd to / and issue the following.

ls -al *.* > ~/filesearsch.txt

Then use grep to search through the resulting filesearch.txt. The file will be created in your home directory, this allows you to run the command as a regular user. If we redirected the file to the working directory (/ in this case) you would need to be acting as root.

If you don't want to do this from the command line, you probably have a file manager available that has a "find" function. If so, you can do a search for each missing file that way. Just navigate to the root directory and initiate the search from there. Be sure to set he file manager to include hidden files. If you ignore hidden files, the search will not be checking hidden system directories where temporary files may be. The command I have above will include hidden files.

If you are not used to the command line, you may want to make the effort to get used to it. Understanding the command line can be useful in many situations. There are several good books (many also available in digital form), let me know if you want a few recommendations.

I hope this helps.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
vedearduff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Central Indiana
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 Beta
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by timl View Post
Do you normally operate in the command line or GUI? If you use the command line a lot I would try:
cat .bash_history | grep -i downloads
from your home directory. This will show you every time you have entered a command which affected Downloads and may help to solve your puzzle
This is a great suggestion. If you try it, be careful with the case. Since you are dealing with "Downloads", that is what you would need to grep for.

cat .bash_history | grep -i Downloads
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
sryzdn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
If they were all downloaded using a program that used the environment variable we worked with above, I see two possibilities. First, they were placed in your home directory. Second, they were downloaded to a temporary directory and not moved to your target directory.
When you first downloaded the missing files, did you do anything with them? Are you sure they were ever successfully downloaded?
That sounds reasonable. But, when I first installed Fedora, there was a default Download directory in Home directory and the downloads automatically would be saved there.
And yes, I have copied and pasted them and I have used the files and they were completely normal.


Quote:
If they were there for a while, I suspect that they were placed in your home directory and at some point were deleted because they were not where you thought they should be and you considered them duplicate copies.
Most applications that make use of environment variables have default values for them. The one we were dealing with was placing your downloads in your home directory. Assuming that the application works as expected, any files downloaded while this was true should be in your home directory. With the information available to me, I suspect that they were in your home directory until they were either moved or deleted.
The downloaded files you see in my Home directory are coming from youtube-dl that the default path for saving the downloads are Home. But the rest would be directed to Downloads directory.

Quote:
Do you have a list of the missing files? If not, could you come up with one? If so, there is a brute force way to see if they are still somewhere on your file system. How many files are missing? The most basic, brute force, way would be to cd to / and issue the following.

ls -al *.* > ~/filesearsch.txt

Then use grep to search through the resulting filesearch.txt. The file will be created in your home directory, this allows you to run the command as a regular user. If we redirected the file to the working directory (/ in this case) you would need to be acting as root.
yes I have used find and ls to find the missing files, but I could not locate them anywhere. I have the names of the files in my download history in Mozilla and I searched all of them.

Quote:
If you don't want to do this from the command line, you probably have a file manager available that has a "find" function. If so, you can do a search for each missing file that way. Just navigate to the root directory and initiate the search from there. Be sure to set he file manager to include hidden files. If you ignore hidden files, the search will not be checking hidden system directories where temporary files may be. The command I have above will include hidden files.
I used both GUI and command line today but seems that I have to give up on my files.

Quote:
If you are not used to the command line, you may want to make the effort to get used to it. Understanding the command line can be useful in many situations. There are several good books (many also available in digital form), let me know if you want a few recommendations.
I would be so grateful if you kindly introduce some resources. I have studied the books: LPIC_1 study guide by R. W. Smith and LPI introductory. But seems that I cannot apply what I have learned.

Quote:
I hope this helps.
Yes, thanks so much.
 
  


Reply

Tags
directory, fedora 23


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I download a "universal" Fedora ISO? epicasian Fedora 18 11-20-2009 07:07 PM
Looking for good or best "multi-thread" or "multiple download" download manger. brjoon1021 Linux - Software 1 09-25-2008 03:26 PM
"Where i can download free action games for Fedora Core4"? hulk321 Linux - Games 1 07-03-2007 07:24 PM
Where to download precompiled bash binaries, such as "time" and "top"? elinuxqs Linux - Newbie 12 11-14-2005 08:36 PM
Fedora C2 access to "Download Manager" rblampain Fedora 1 03-02-2005 12:39 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration