LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Fast Cd Mp3 ripper? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/fast-cd-mp3-ripper-214419/)

badmofo666 08-06-2004 06:37 PM

Fast Cd Mp3 ripper?
 
Hey I've got to rip about 100 cd's to mp3 vbr in 3 days. How should I do this and what's the fastest cd ripper for linux.

Tinkster 08-06-2004 06:40 PM

http://www.google.co.nz/linux?hl=en&...a=lr%3Dlang_en


Cheers,
Tink

valencequark 08-06-2004 09:06 PM

Re: Fast Cd Mp3 ripper?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by badmofo666
Hey I've got to rip about 100 cd's to mp3 vbr in 3 days. How should I do this and what's the fastest cd ripper for linux.

i don't know if it is the fastest, but cdparanoia is pretty reliable and straightforward to use.

i usually follow with blade encode to convert to mp3.

g'day

--vq

bruno buys 08-06-2004 09:14 PM

Use cdparanoia (grip is a gui for it) and choose "disable paranoia". Speed will increase 5x or more, depending on the drive. If the cd's are ok (no scratches), disabling paranoia won't affect quality.

Lame is faster encoder than blade, but for a small amount. Blade is more scriptable than lame.
With blade you can "bladeenc *.wav" and go drink your beer.

badmofo666 08-06-2004 11:56 PM

Ok, using Grip with cdparnanioa and lame. It's weird how it rips and encodes seperately. It's very slow though.

When I had Windows I used MusicMatch Jukebox. It ripped and encoded at the same time and halfway through the cd it would be doing it at 40x.

Is there any programs for linux that would give me that kind of performance?

bruno buys 08-07-2004 02:00 AM

I dont know. But when looking for programs, make sure the ripper is not using libcdparanoia. If it does, theres no change at all.

Tinkster 08-07-2004 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by badmofo666
Ok, using Grip with cdparnanioa and lame. It's weird how it rips and encodes seperately. It's very slow though.

When I had Windows I used MusicMatch Jukebox. It ripped and encoded at the same time and halfway through the cd it would be doing it at 40x.

Is there any programs for linux that would give me that kind of performance?

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather have a test with
the same software on the same machine with the
same CD and time the entire process rather than
assuming the output of the programs to mean the
same things ....


Cheers,
Tink

bruno buys 08-07-2004 09:07 AM

Tinkster is right: even if 40x means KBytes or Kbits per second, the result is way different. And you can't tell how much the x means. Outputs aren't so trustworthy, specially regarding comercial programs, who have to make a profit or die (Music Match). Go empiric, and test it all with a identical batch.

badmofo666 08-07-2004 03:09 PM

It was on the same machine, but I didnt time it. Musicmatch was fast though it took about 2 to 3 seconds to rip and encode a track (It did them at the same time too). I think what is did is instead of copying the wav to the hard drive it loaded in the ram and then wrote the mp3 to the hard drive, just guessing. But is there any linux program that runs like this, it seems very inefficient to make a wav, put it on the hard disk, encode it to mp3, then delete the wav.

Tinkster 08-07-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by badmofo666
It was on the same machine, but I didnt time it. Musicmatch was fast though it took about 2 to 3 seconds to rip and encode a track (It did them at the same time too).
I think what is did is instead of copying the wav to the hard drive it loaded in the ram and then wrote the mp3 to the hard drive, just guessing.
No offense meant, but even if it cached a 40MB file to
RAM, the ripping process would still take somewhere
around 20 to 30 seconds per track, and even on an
ultra-fast machine the encoding wouldn't be done within
a second, either.


Cheers,
Tink

badmofo666 08-08-2004 02:09 AM

Then how does musicmatch do it?

I'm dead serious encoding a track in a few seconds. If you got a decent windows machine download it yourself, I was just using the basic version 60% VBR, with error correction on. Here's my computers specs:

Compaq Presario
3000+ AMD Athlon XP (which apparently means 2.1ghz)
512mb Ram
Memorex cd burner (52x24x52x)

Oh, wait, I think my Sound Blaster Live card uses hardware acceleration to encode mp3's? How would I enable this?

coldsalmon 03-21-2005 10:10 PM

He's right
 
Badmofo is right. I've used Musicmatch in XP, and it takes much less time to rip a CD. I'm dual-booting right now so I could use Musicmatch, but I'd like to find a similar program for Linux. The KAudioCreator ripper that comes with Mepis takes about 10 minutes for one CD!

--C

coldsalmon 03-22-2005 12:34 AM

Actually, I just timed it and Musicmatch took 5:25 to rip an 11-track CD. KAudioCreator, which comes with Mepis, was only finished with 3 out of 11 tracks in that same time. Is there a faster program out there?

badmofo666 03-23-2005 02:17 AM

I've not found a fast cd ripper for linux yet. Although I've switched from mp3 to ogg which offer higher quality for the filesize than mp3.

Does anyone know of a cd ripper that's fast? Or does anyone know how musicmatch rips?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.