Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!


  Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
LQ Newbie
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Expansion Port 3

EXPANSION PORT 3 on my HP Pavilion DV2000 Notebook.
I Googled for "Expansion port 3" because I want to display content from the Notebook on a digital TV (UK standard). I then joined Linux Questions.
So I need a connector lead from the port to the TV. What is that called?
The port supports the following:
  1. USB 2.0
  2. 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  3. Consumer infrared lens (for optional remote control only)
  4. Power inputs 65-W to 90-W maximum
  5. Composite TV
  6. s-video TV
  7. Component TV
  8. s/PDIF audio (select models only)
  9. Headphone/speaker audio-out
  10. Microphone audio-in
  11. VGA
  12. Power button
  13. Volume control (up/down)
  14. Mute/unmute status
It looks as if there must be a number of different leads to cover those!
I am based in the UK
Thank you

Last edited by berlingo; 09-21-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Explains why I am asking this question although i do not use LINUX
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
LQ Guru
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
With all that stuff able to come out of one port, it sounds like a docking station connector!

As for a single cable going from the laptop to a TV, it would likely be VGA (15 pins, squarish shape) or S-Video (4 or 9 pins, round like a PS/2 plug). It could also use a composite/RCA-style wire (round, one pin) to a TV, depending on the computer.

EDIT - then again, in Europe don't you guys have SCART connectors too? I'm not familiar with them, because we don't have them in Canada, but SCART supports a whack of data modes. Perhaps tell us what this connector looks like?

Is THIS it?

Last edited by GrapefruiTgirl; 09-21-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
LQ Guru
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It sounds like it is a docking port, but it actually turns the notebook computer in a desktop. Go to HP site and find the accessories for your model.

It is either S-Video or Composite (phono) that you want to use for the TV.

Though the setup will depend if the video module (driver) supports output to a TV. nVidia graphics are the easiest. ATI is a little hard. Intel will be the hardest.

Depending where you live, use PAL and either a TV refresh rate of 50 or 60 hertz.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a PCI Expansion port 3 connector? scheidel21 General 2 11-12-2006 03:05 PM
Does anyone have the expansion pack for 5.2? solid7 AIX 14 04-26-2005 12:18 PM
USB to COM port expansion tho_x_tran Linux - Hardware 0 12-09-2003 04:04 PM
Scripting help -- pathname expansion player_2 Programming 3 08-25-2003 05:03 PM
Raid 5 Expansion Ruckuss Linux - General 3 01-05-2002 05:04 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration