LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Emacs Issue


Hi all,

I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4) that I have emacs installed on:/usr/bin/emacs: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Emacs never worked on this system since the beginning and totally got ignored since it hasnt been really used until now.

Launching emacs giving us this error:

emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw3d.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Got a replacement rpm for libXaw3d.so.7 and updated the libs but didnt resolve the issue.

I was wondering if anyone knows on how to possibly resolve this?

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
DB
 
Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
jamescondron
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.10; Gentoo; Debian Lenny
Posts: 961

Rep: Reputation: 69
You're paying for RHEL, may as well get in touch with them. Incidentally, how did you build it? It should sort this for you
 
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Hey thanks for the response. That's the issue - RHEL subscription expired so no go on that one.
Built it? Not so sure, former tech person did it I guess...
Any other ideas?
 
Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
jamescondron
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.10; Gentoo; Debian Lenny
Posts: 961

Rep: Reputation: 69
Uninstall it, reinstall it? :P Thats a pretty simplisitic answer, but give it a go.
 
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibertine View Post
Hi all,

I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4) that I have emacs installed on:/usr/bin/emacs: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Emacs never worked on this system since the beginning and totally got ignored since it hasnt been really used until now.

Launching emacs giving us this error:

emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw3d.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Got a replacement rpm for libXaw3d.so.7 and updated the libs but didnt resolve the issue.

I was wondering if anyone knows on how to possibly resolve this?

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
DB
What does file have to say about the newly installed libXaw3d.so.7 ?
And what does ldd give you for your emacs?



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Emacs Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescondron View Post
Uninstall it, reinstall it? :P Thats a pretty simplisitic answer, but give it a go.
Yea I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling emacs which made it more disastrous. Uninstalling is the easy part but reinstalling creates requests for bunch of needed dependencies. Luckily I've made backups of old files and just reloaded them back to their directories and able to reinstate my status of missing libXaw3d.so.7. :-(
 
Old 06-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Emacs Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
What does file have to say about the newly installed libXaw3d.so.7 ?
And what does ldd give you for your emacs?



Cheers,
Tink
I'm new to this so I'm not so sure on what you meant by what you've stated above?

Can you please explain further?

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
 
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibertine View Post
I'm new to this so I'm not so sure on what you meant by what you've stated above?

Can you please explain further?
Sure ...

in your first post you had:
Quote:
/usr/bin/emacs: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
which looks like the output of the command file, run against
your emacs executable.

I'm asking you to do the same against the claimed as missing
and re-installed Athena widget library ...


I'd also like to see the output of
ldd run against emacs and that library.
Code:
which emacs
ldd $( which emacs )
locate libXaw3d.so.7
locate libXaw3d.so.7 | xargs -i file {}
locate libXaw3d.so.7 | xargs -i ldd {}
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibertine View Post
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Sure ...
in your first post you had:
which looks like the output of the command file, run against
your emacs executable.
I'm asking you to do the same against the claimed as missing
and re-installed Athena widget library ...
I'd also like to see the output of
ldd run against emacs and that library.
Code:
which emacs
ldd $( which emacs )
locate libXaw3d.so.7
locate libXaw3d.so.7 | xargs -i file {}
locate libXaw3d.so.7 | xargs -i ldd {}
Cheers,
Tink
Thanks for the info, I appreciate you explaining it further.

Here are the outputs of those commands:
# which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs
# ldd $( which emacs )
libXaw3d.so.7 => not found
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXmu.so.6 (0x0000003650a00000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXt.so.6 (0x0000003650800000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x0000003650000000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x000000364fe00000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x000000364fa00000)
libtiff.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3 (0x0000003ad1900000)
libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.62 (0x0000003271400000)
libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0 (0x0000002a95563000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 (0x0000003ad1700000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libm.so.6 (0x0000003271600000)
libungif.so.4 => not found
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4 (0x0000003ee8d00000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x000000364fc00000)
libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 (0x0000003271a00000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0000003271100000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x0000002a9568c000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003270f00000)
# locate libXaw3d.so.7
/usr/share/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7
/usr/X11R6/lib64/libXaw3d.so.7
/usr/bin/libXaw3d.so.7
/root/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7
# locate libXaw3d.so.7 | xargs -i ldd {}
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXmu.so.6 (0x0000003650a00000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXt.so.6 (0x0000003650800000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x0000003650000000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x000000364fe00000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x000000364fa00000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x000000364fc00000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4 (0x0000003ee8d00000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0000003271100000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x0000003271400000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000552aaaa000)
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXmu.so.6 (0x0000003650a00000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXt.so.6 (0x0000003650800000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x0000003650000000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x000000364fe00000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x000000364fa00000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x000000364fc00000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4 (0x0000003ee8d00000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0000003271100000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x0000003271400000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000552aaaa000)
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXmu.so.6 (0x0000003650a00000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXt.so.6 (0x0000003650800000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x0000003650000000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x000000364fe00000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x000000364fa00000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x000000364fc00000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4 (0x0000003ee8d00000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0000003271100000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x0000003271400000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000552aaaa000)
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXmu.so.6 (0x0000003650a00000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXt.so.6 (0x0000003650800000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x0000003650000000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x000000364fe00000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x000000364fa00000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x000000364fc00000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4 (0x0000003ee8d00000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0000003271100000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x0000003271400000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000552aaaa000)


DB
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
OK ... that's a tad unusual; so there's SEVERAL versions of that library around; for each
one, please check which package they belong to.


Code:
locate libXaw3d.so.7|xargs -i rpm -qf {}
Then, make sure that you only have ONE relevant package installed.

After that verify that the path to the valid library is in /etc/ld.so.conf
and (potentially) run "ldconfig -v | less" and look for the lib in the
output ....


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Uncle_Theodore
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Charleston WV, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Arch Linux Amd64
Posts: 896

Rep: Reputation: 69
Did you run the ldconfig command after installing the library?
 
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Emacs Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
OK ... that's a tad unusual; so there's SEVERAL versions of that library around; for each
one, please check which package they belong to.
Code:
locate libXaw3d.so.7|xargs -i rpm -qf {}
Then, make sure that you only have ONE relevant package installed.
After that verify that the path to the valid library is in /etc/ld.so.conf
and (potentially) run "ldconfig -v | less" and look for the lib in the
output ....
Cheers,
Tink
Ok so I did this:
# locate libXaw3d.so.7|xargs -i rpm -qf {}
file /usr/share/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /usr/bin/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /root/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package

Did you mean make sure I only have one libXaw3d.so.7 package and make sure it is owned only by emacs?

Sorry no clue at this point on what to do here.

Please kindly advise.

DB
 
Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Emacs Issue`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Theodore View Post
Did you run the ldconfig command after installing the library?
Yes I did an ldconfig after installing the library but still got the error.

Thanks!
 
Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibertine View Post
Ok so I did this:
# locate libXaw3d.so.7|xargs -i rpm -qf {}
file /usr/share/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /usr/bin/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package
file /root/emacs/libXaw3d.so.7 is not owned by any package

Did you mean make sure I only have one libXaw3d.so.7 package and make sure it is owned only by emacs?
Well ... no, I didn't think the library belongs to emacs, but
I could be wrong, and I don't have RH/Centos at home
to test. In slackware it's a package in its own right.

I wonder who/how installed it (and emacs) if it's unknown
to rpm on your install - specially since emacs actually is
part of the RHEL5 DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deibertine View Post
Sorry no clue at this point on what to do here.

Please kindly advise. :confused:

DB
Me too, matey, me too :D



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
deibertine
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Emacs Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Well ... no, I didn't think the library belongs to emacs, but
I could be wrong, and I don't have RH/Centos at home
to test. In slackware it's a package in its own right.
I wonder who/how installed it (and emacs) if it's unknown
to rpm on your install - specially since emacs actually is
part of the RHEL5 DVD.
Me too, matey, me too
Cheers,
Tink
So you think if I acquire an install dvd of RHEL5, I will be able to install emacs?

Are there instructions somewhere on how to install emacs using the install dvd, kind of like adding a Windows component in Windows?

Thanks mate, I'm getting close... :-)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alt no longer META key when using in-terminal option of Emacs (emacs -nw) frznchckn Linux - Software 1 06-02-2007 02:41 AM
where is the .emacs file in the emacs source code tarball? aizkorri Programming 2 01-13-2007 02:05 PM
LXer: Emacs tips: Cross-platform Emacs LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-16-2006 11:12 PM
Newby w/crontab or emacs issue vrogers64 Mandriva 3 01-20-2005 04:11 AM
edb (emacs database) won't open file - emacs 20 & 21 tip184 Linux - Software 0 04-03-2004 07:31 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration