LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
DVD/CD writer.. can write dvd just find. not cd


Sorry but I am a complete moron when it comes to linux..

I am running Linux mint 16..

its a dvd/cd combo..

When I put in a dvd for burning, I have no problem... non at all

But when I try the save with a cd.. No luck

Can anyone please help and put it in words that my dobie can understand.. lol

Thanks

Glenn
 
Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
num7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You might trying to write file on a CD-ROM. (ROM == Read only memory)
Other variations are re-writeable discs such as CD-R and CD-RW.
The same story with DVDs. :-)
 
Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by num7 View Post
You might trying to write file on a CD-ROM. (ROM == Read only memory)
Other variations are re-writeable discs such as CD-R and CD-RW.
The same story with DVDs. :-)
yeah.. Ive tried all variation. I bought some cd-r's.. still same problem
 
Old 11-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
num7
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
how about this:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/CD/DVD_Burning
 
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by num7 View Post
Thanks.. I am reading it now

Thanks alot
 
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennponn View Post
Thanks.. I am reading it now

Thanks alot
I can't get the device to acknowlege the cd in it...
 
Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennponn View Post
I can't get the device to acknowlege the cd in it...
it acknowleges dvd's fine... just not cd's
 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 12,885
Blog Entries: 18

Rep: Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346Reputation: 3346
It could be that the burner itself is starting to fail.

Is it internal or external?

If it's external, try testing it with another computer. If it's internal, try booting to a Live CD of something other than the distro you are using and testing or, if you have the time and resources, removing it an trying it in a different machine.
 
Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
It could be that the burner itself is starting to fail.

Is it internal or external?

If it's external, try testing it with another computer. If it's internal, try booting to a Live CD of something other than the distro you are using and testing or, if you have the time and resources, removing it an trying it in a different machine.
It is internal.. and I can load live cd's just fine.. and Dvd's.. so everything is fine on the hardware side.. been doing some reading and from what I can find, its something to do with permissions.. and the fstab.. Cause when I look at the cd side of things in using the disk gui.. it says the cd is read only.. How do I change that to read write?

Thanks
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,245

Rep: Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527
how big are the files you are trying to save to a cd ?
dvd 4.3 gig
cd 700 Meg
cd-mini 80 meg
 
Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
how big are the files you are trying to save to a cd ?
dvd 4.3 gig
cd 700 Meg
cd-mini 80 meg

cd size .. under 700 hell I even tried a 500 iso
 
Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,245

Rep: Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527Reputation: 2527
burning a iso is different than a data cd
what program are you using ?
Gnome baker is as i recall busted , or dose not work well

K3b is what is recommended for burning data, files, and " burn as image" iso images
 
Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
burning a iso is different than a data cd
what program are you using ?
Gnome baker is as i recall busted , or dose not work well

K3b is what is recommended for burning data, files, and " burn as image" iso images
I have tried kb3 and get the same thing.. it doesnt recognize a cd in the tray.. it does dvd's.. and yes it is a cd/dvd burner..
 
Old 12-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
Dman58
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: The Danger Zone
Distribution: Slackware & everything else in a VM
Posts: 286

Rep: Reputation: 29
Maybe that's a bad batch of CD-R's do they work or recognized in a different machine?

When the blank disk is installed what (if any) options appear?

Do you a have a different CD-R from another manufacturer that you could try?

Have you tried to update the firmware for that DVD/CD drive?

Not sure if this a dual boot machine but in another OS or Windows does the drive recognize those discs?

Maybe a few things you could try.
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Glennponn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman58 View Post
Maybe that's a bad batch of CD-R's do they work or recognized in a different machine?

When the blank disk is installed what (if any) options appear?

Do you a have a different CD-R from another manufacturer that you could try?

Have you tried to update the firmware for that DVD/CD drive?

Not sure if this a dual boot machine but in another OS or Windows does the drive recognize those discs?

Maybe a few things you could try.
No options at all appear.. Just me telling to put in another disk.. And yes.. I tried putting them in a windoz machine and they worked fine... I am at my wits end
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New DVD writer won't write; old dvd reader won't read. Tomermory Linux - Hardware 15 09-24-2007 12:20 PM
DVD Writer...Need Help Figurin' How to Get it to Write jimc52 Linux - General 1 01-01-2007 02:47 AM
DVD-Writer fail to write DVD but okay with CD iswc_technical Linux - Hardware 2 12-19-2005 01:52 PM
can not write on new DVD writer with k3b JeTa Linux - Hardware 4 07-12-2005 06:31 PM
Cannot find DVD writer or get CD-writer to spin audio disk dgwebb Linux - Hardware 5 03-28-2005 06:00 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration