LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Dropbox continuously syncing on one computer


I have Dropbox synced between two computers. On one it works fine. On the other, the little blue dot in the icon in the top tool bar shows that it's constantly turning (and I assume syncing). But there's no big files to sync and all the files are synced properly, so I didn't worry about it. But it's been happening for a week now. Is there anything I should be doing about this or should I let it just keep going? Thanks.
 
Old 11-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
cseanburns
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 23
I think I would just stop and then start it back up again. There are some command line options, albeit limited:

Code:
$ dropbox # returns list of commands
$ dropbox status
$ dropbox stop
$ dropbox start
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseanburns View Post
I think I would just stop and then start it back up again. There are some command line options, albeit limited:

Code:
$ dropbox # returns list of commands
$ dropbox status
$ dropbox stop
$ dropbox start
I'll try it. Thanks.
 
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseanburns View Post
I think I would just stop and then start it back up again. There are some command line options, albeit limited:

Code:
$ dropbox # returns list of commands
$ dropbox status
$ dropbox stop
$ dropbox start
That did it, Sean. That was easy. Thanks!
 
Old 12-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
This issue has come back to life. What happened is the

Code:
$ dropbox stop
and
Code:
$ dropbox start
commands worked, but only temporarily. Eventually the Dropbox icon in the toolbar started spinning again.

Any suggestions?
 
Old 12-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
cseanburns
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 23
I'm wondering if you run:

Code:
$ dropbox status
if it will show that it's syncing, updating, etc.

If it is, there might be a troublesome file somewhere.

If not, then you should be able to stop the service and then delete the $HOME/Dropbox/.dropbox-cache directory, and then restart the service. I don't backup that directory to my own external storage but Dropbox syncs fine when I use that external storage to restore my $HOME directory on a new Linux install. Next I might delete $HOME/.dropbox if the previous didn't work.

Let me know how that goes.

Last edited by cseanburns; 12-07-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: formatting
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseanburns View Post
I'm wondering if you run:

Code:
$ dropbox status
if it will show that it's syncing, updating, etc.

If it is, there might be a troublesome file somewhere.

If not, then you should be able to stop the service and then delete the $HOME/Dropbox/.dropbox-cache directory, and then restart the service. I don't backup that directory to my own external storage but Dropbox syncs fine when I use that external storage to restore my $HOME directory on a new Linux install. Next I might delete $HOME/.dropbox if the previous didn't work.

Let me know how that goes.
Thanks a lot, Sean. I'm not on that computer so I can't test it right away, but is there no issue in deleting that cache directory or the Home/.dropbox? It won't affect functionality? Talking about backing up and restoring sounds a little scary. This is just three computers syncing Dropbox. I keep waiting for a software update to fix it. Anyway, is there any problem with letting the icon in the toolbar spin? It doesn't seem to be using any cpu.

I ran the dropbox status and it says "dropbox upgrading." Looking around I found others struggling with it but in Windows.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Inst...n-8/td-p/56599

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 12-08-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: additional info
 
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
cseanburns
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 23
It's okay to delete those directories. Once dropbox is restarted, it'll simply re-index your stuff.

I don't know if that will ultimately solve the problem, though, or just temporarily do so. You could follow the steps in that link you provided via the post here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Inst...ht/true#M12506

That person is recommending that you delete those directories, too, but also recommending that you uninstall and reinstall dropbox. That might be the next step.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseanburns View Post
It's okay to delete those directories. Once dropbox is restarted, it'll simply re-index your stuff.

I don't know if that will ultimately solve the problem, though, or just temporarily do so. You could follow the steps in that link you provided via the post here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Inst...ht/true#M12506

That person is recommending that you delete those directories, too, but also recommending that you uninstall and reinstall dropbox. That might be the next step.
Thanks Sean. I don't know if I'm being lazy, but Dropbox is syncing both ways properly. The upgrading/spinning icon isn't using any CPU or bothering me. Is there any real reason to keep messing with this? (That was not rhetorical.)
 
Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
cseanburns
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 23
Probably okay to just ignore it!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,948

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseanburns View Post
Probably okay to just ignore it!
I'm going to. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to marked this as 'solved.' (Solved by inaction.)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
syncing files: lftp vs rsync vs dropbox vs nextcloud walterbyrd Linux - Software 9 09-14-2019 04:45 AM
LXer: Dropbox To Stop Following Symlinks To Items Outside The Dropbox Folder LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-06-2019 02:32 AM
Dropbox dropping syncing LQParsons Linux - Software 14 03-05-2019 07:39 AM
[SOLVED] New user problem with Dropbox and sudo relating to "Can't monitor Dropbox folder" error. globetrotterdk Slackware 9 03-22-2018 10:15 AM
LXer: Ubuntu One vs Dropbox: Which Cloud Do You Use? LXer Syndicated Linux News 2 05-25-2012 11:54 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration