LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #1
elainelaw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 30
Display error


I have a KVM that connects to 5 servers , it includes Redhat linux , windows , Debian linux server . I tried to switch to the Redhat server , it only pop the message "display resolution not supported" on screen , I have tried to adjust the kvm setting and change the TERM setting in the server , but also not work . It is strange that only this server have this problem , other server works fine ( with standard KVM setting ) , can advise what is the possible reason of it ? thx
 
Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,094

Rep: Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainelaw View Post
I have a KVM that connects to 5 servers , it includes Redhat linux , windows , Debian linux server . I tried to switch to the Redhat server , it only pop the message "display resolution not supported" on screen , I have tried to adjust the kvm setting and change the TERM setting in the server , but also not work . It is strange that only this server have this problem , other server works fine ( with standard KVM setting ) , can advise what is the possible reason of it ? thx
Yes...X windows is set to a resolution that your monitor doesn't support. Connect to it using VNC or the like, or modify the X configuration over an SSH session, then restart X, and it should come up.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
elainelaw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 258

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Yes...X windows is set to a resolution that your monitor doesn't support. Connect to it using VNC or the like, or modify the X configuration over an SSH session, then restart X, and it should come up.
thx reply,

the VNC is ok to connect but I am not perfer to use this method , I perfer to see the linux console.

this is IP KVM , I should can see the message when it is booting , the X , VNC can only connect when the OS is running , I want to see the message when it is booting ( before the OS is started ) , can advise what I can do ? thx
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,094

Rep: Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainelaw View Post
thx reply,

the VNC is ok to connect but I am not perfer to use this method , I perfer to see the linux console.

this is IP KVM , I should can see the message when it is booting , the X , VNC can only connect when the OS is running , I want to see the message when it is booting ( before the OS is started ) , can advise what I can do ? thx
Spell out your words...it's "thanks", not "thx"....

As I said in my first post, use VNC to connect to it, then ADJUST YOUR X SETTINGS. Restart X, then your console will be working. You need some way to adjust it, VNC is one...SSH is another. Pick one, adjust your resolution to something your monitor supports, then it'll work on the console.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
elainelaw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 258

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
HI TBOne ,

If I change the setting in X , then I can only see the console in X , if I want to see the console even when before the X is not started , what can i do ?

Thanks
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,094

Rep: Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainelaw View Post
HI TBOne ,

If I change the setting in X , then I can only see the console in X , if I want to see the console even when before the X is not started , what can i do ?

Thanks
Boot the server in console mode.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
elainelaw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 258

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thanks reply ,

I tried to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to try to escape to console mode , but not work , can advise except change the profile then reboot the server , how can I escape to console mode now ?

Thanks .
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
display error muvendrann Linux - Software 1 10-09-2009 09:34 AM
Tcl Error no display name and no DISPLAY environment variable thinkgeek Programming 5 07-06-2005 10:24 PM
'display' error Worstje Slackware 0 10-17-2004 04:18 PM
Console display error darin3200 Linux - General 2 08-12-2004 04:38 PM
Display error - Help! tcn03u Linux - Newbie 3 04-27-2004 08:13 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration