LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #16
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Doesn't Like math want's to be a hacker...

Doesn't know Linux wants a pen testing distro...

Just pick a distro and install it, once you like math again and have a few years of Linux under your belt revisit this idea


If you were my brother in law and you hacked my computer then I think I'd hack yours back with my KA-BAR
I just want something to have fun with. But I appreciate the beautiful irony. Probably girls like it.

I've already picked up a distro and installed it.

Must confess I wasnt expecting such trolling level in an open-source community. I used to think one of the main purposes of this kind of "brotherhood" was to help spread free software and help each other.

I just want to learn. Guess you're the kind of person with personal troubles that choose to release all of the stress pocking other people.

Again, I'm not here to hack anything, nor bother with other people brain issues.
 
Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #17
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
I really sorry but English is not my native language. I remind Maxwell Smart a bit but can't get it. However, I appreciate the sense of humor
 
Old 01-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #18
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Bottom line: If you're not experienced enough to keep Kali/Backtrack/Blackarch running - it's not the distro for you...
True. But some people here still thinking I came expecting to become kinda lucky hacker.
I have a deep respect to people, learning and software. From time to time I use to get into something new. Most of time it involves changing the subject. I've have met nice people, learned useful things and acquired great knowledge. This time I though it was time to learn Linux. I heard the open source community was one of the most fraternal sites on the internet to know new people and share knowledge. And I never though I could be wrong.

I'm really sorry if I have annoyed someone with my questions. And I thanks everyone who gently helped me with my doubts. From this point I'll start learning on my own
 
Old 01-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #19
fido_dogstoyevsky
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 394
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
I dont rule out the chance of hacking into my brother-in-law laptop just to change his wallpaper to a monkeys eating banana one and watch his face
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
Must confess I wasnt expecting such trolling level in an open-source community. I used to think one of the main purposes of this kind of "brotherhood" was to help spread free software and help each other.
It didn't look like trolling, but rather an expression of disapproval. "Hacking" into somebody else's computer to make changes behind their back is considered "cracking" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_culture for more information). Changing your brother in laws wallpaper is cracking by only a little bit, but it's still cracking, and liable to cause offense.
 
Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #20
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido_dogstoyevsky View Post
It didn't look like trolling, but rather an expression of disapproval. "Hacking" into somebody else's computer to make changes behind their back is considered "cracking" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_culture for more information). Changing your brother in laws wallpaper is cracking by only a little bit, but it's still cracking, and liable to cause offense.
Last Friday my brother in law throw salt into my "mate" (Argentinian drink supposed to be drinked sweet) . That was while he was checking Facebook using my WiFi. After that I checked mine, previously unlocking his laptop (cause he gave me his password a while ago) . You are not even close to undertand my humor, or my confidence with any people, simply, because you don't know me or what I do. Period.

And "cracking" always involves brute forcing something. Most of time damagin something. breaking something. Cracking something. But why argue about semantics ? I'm still proposing a joke.

I can see you trust Wikipedia as a source of information. So take a look here :
 
Old 01-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #21
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 15,589
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
Must confess I wasnt expecting such trolling level in an open-source community. I used to think one of the main purposes of this kind of "brotherhood" was to help spread free software and help each other.
please let me explain!
ever since the tv series mr roboto staretd, there's been an influx of total newbs trying to install kali linux (which isn't even designed to be installed) and use it as their main distro, because they thought it would make invincible linux hackers/crackers/whatever out of them.
and most of them are really totally clueless, and would get abusive when reminded that there's no use running kali as an everyday distro, and especially not if you're new to linux.

so you have to see the reactions in this light.


from the kali.org website:
Quote:
As the distributionís developers, you might expect us to recommend that everyone should be using Kali Linux. The fact of the matter is, however, that Kali is a Linux distribution specifically geared towards professional penetration testers and security specialists, and given its unique nature, it is NOT a recommended distribution if youíre unfamiliar with Linux or are looking for a general-purpose Linux desktop distribution for development, web design, gaming, etc.
 
Old 01-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #22
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,054

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
I just want something to have fun with. But I appreciate the beautiful irony. Probably girls like it.

I've already picked up a distro and installed it.

Must confess I wasnt expecting such trolling level in an open-source community. I used to think one of the main purposes of this kind of "brotherhood" was to help spread free software and help each other.

I just want to learn. Guess you're the kind of person with personal troubles that choose to release all of the stress pocking other people.

Again, I'm not here to hack anything, nor bother with other people brain issues.

It's a brotherhood now? what about the females here can they be part of the brotherhood that's exclusively in your head?

It's called the open source community, some folks are nice others, but when someone walks in off the street tries trying to install a pen test distro (you don't install that it sorta defeats the purpose) then talks about hacking his brothers computer that person get to be on the receiving end of my ire. Secondly if you can't code which requires that math you don't like you're not a hacker your're a script kiddie and deserving of no respect. About your retaliation for the drink, does you're drink contain personal data, bank info, photos, correspondence etc. it seems doubtful to me so hacking a his computer for a little funny shows a complete lack of honor or respect.
 
Old 01-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #23
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
please let me explain!
ever since the tv series mr roboto staretd, there's been an influx of total newbs trying to install kali linux (which isn't even designed to be installed) and use it as their main distro, because they thought it would make invincible linux hackers/crackers/whatever out of them.
and most of them are really totally clueless, and would get abusive when reminded that there's no use running kali as an everyday distro, and especially not if you're new to linux.

so you have to see the reactions in this light.


from the kali.org website:
I see. So, yeah, I guess a lot of kids trying to show up came up here expecting to hack the world in two days. I can see why most of people here don't trust 100% the newcomers. But I have explained now: no, I'm not that kind of people. I want to learn Linux, because it's beautiful to do so and because it's challenging. I like challenging things that's why I picked up BT on first place. I din't know its useless now and it was designed to be a tool mainly for professionals or experienced users. I though it as any other Linux distro just with some extra tools for that purpose. Thanks to the people that helped me, I know it now. That's why I downloaded Debian to start over also with a GUI or interface. Sadly, xfce crashed a few times and I couldn't handle it so I left over till I have time to search info about backing to default Debian GUI or whatever (maybe Debian doesn't have a GUI originally? )

Anyway, now my hollydays are over so I'll keep with it but with less time

And again a big thanks to everyone who came here to give me a hand
 
Old 01-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Abingdon, VA
Distribution: Catalina
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
So if I want to learn linux from scratch, what distro should I try?
Why LinuxFromScratch, of course.
 
Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #25
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 15,589
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509Reputation: 4509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
So if I want to learn linux from scratch, what distro should I try?
yes, about that.
i know i'm being opinionated now, but otoh op is asking for opinions, no?
so, my opinion is: why start from scratch? if you want to be good with cars, do you start by mining iron ore?
so i would rather recommend archlinux (others will chime in and recommend slackware and maybe gentoo at this point), installed with the beginners' guide - it will give you lots of insight in how the pieces fit together and how to do it, while still retaining a realistic level of complexity (not going down into the atoms).
nothing against LFS of course; in the end you yourself have to decide what you actually want to learn and how to go on about it.
enjoy the ride. yes, linux is beautiful.
 
Old 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #26
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,054

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
yes, about that.
i know i'm being opinionated now, but otoh op is asking for opinions, no?
so, my opinion is: why start from scratch? if you want to be good with cars, do you start by mining iron ore?
so i would rather recommend archlinux (others will chime in and recommend slackware and maybe gentoo at this point), installed with the beginners' guide - it will give you lots of insight in how the pieces fit together and how to do it, while still retaining a realistic level of complexity (not going down into the atoms).
nothing against LFS of course; in the end you yourself have to decide what you actually want to learn and how to go on about it.
enjoy the ride. yes, linux is beautiful.
Do you think Arch is the right ride he was unsuccessful at installing Debian Arch certainly isn't really harder to get up than Debian but is more involved. I think I'd go for LMDE he he'll be able to keep his Windows install without much drama and still have to work a bit to get a fully functional desktop but it will hold his hand a bit.
 
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #27
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
yes, about that.
i know i'm being opinionated now, but otoh op is asking for opinions, no?
so, my opinion is: why start from scratch? if you want to be good with cars, do you start by mining iron ore?
so i would rather recommend archlinux (others will chime in and recommend slackware and maybe gentoo at this point), installed with the beginners' guide - it will give you lots of insight in how the pieces fit together and how to do it, while still retaining a realistic level of complexity (not going down into the atoms).
nothing against LFS of course; in the end you yourself have to decide what you actually want to learn and how to go on about it.
enjoy the ride. yes, linux is beautiful.
Well I like this answer.

I promise to look for info of anything you suggest guys. At this point I'm very happy to know there's a lot of distros and each one of them has its own supporters. I guess everyone of you started that way. Like different paths and now you are all here.

As I said, I like this answer because this is exactly what I want: to know how the things works . It doesnt matter if they come from Debian, Archlinux or that old OS I used to have and lost.

I really appreciate the feedback and at this very momment I'm heading to archlinux.org

Just one thing. As I can't be constantly installing all different builds you suggest I'm thinking about using a virtual machine in Windows to test the lightweight one, at least.
Isn't there any conflict with that? Is OK for a linux OS being vitualized? Would it have acces to hardware and all that staff no matter what ?

I can do this virtualization through Hyper-v. I hope that's OK
 
Old 01-29-2016, 03:36 AM   #28
Windows-User
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Do you think Arch is the right ride he was unsuccessful at installing Debian Arch certainly isn't really harder to get up than Debian but is more involved. I think I'd go for LMDE he he'll be able to keep his Windows install without much drama and still have to work a bit to get a fully functional desktop but it will hold his hand a bit.
I guess I haven't mention this but I actually did successfully install Debian. it's working. Even I managed to reinstall the custom Firefox it came with. I suspect xfce was the main problem because everything was working ok except FF. It used to crash and give some fuzzy colors in screen. Like a faulty graphic adapter. But as I said everything else was working pretty awesome.

May I : (statement from Linux Mint community)

LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users, which provides the same environment as Linux Mint but uses Debian as its package base, instead of Ubuntu.

LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.


I like challenging things! But if I get to a point where I can't fix something ( because I will mess A LOT till break everything) , where could I find help?
 
Old 01-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #29
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,054

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows-User View Post
I guess I haven't mention this but I actually did successfully install Debian. it's working. Even I managed to reinstall the custom Firefox it came with. I suspect xfce was the main problem because everything was working ok except FF. It used to crash and give some fuzzy colors in screen. Like a faulty graphic adapter. But as I said everything else was working pretty awesome.

May I : (statement from Linux Mint community)

LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users, which provides the same environment as Linux Mint but uses Debian as its package base, instead of Ubuntu.

LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.


I like challenging things! But if I get to a point where I can't fix something ( because I will mess A LOT till break everything) , where could I find help?
The Linux Mint forums.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dificulty Installing video driver Windows-User Linux - Software 1 01-23-2016 01:06 PM
I need help installing a video driver Jack Crain Linux - Newbie 10 04-12-2014 07:26 PM
video driver not installing shariefbe Linux - Software 4 11-29-2008 02:36 AM
Help installing video driver zchoyt Linux - Newbie 3 08-28-2004 03:15 PM
Installing a video driver Xylicon Linux - General 7 02-24-2003 12:05 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration