LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Debian Freshly Installed - "Oh no, something went wrong" (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/debian-freshly-installed-oh-no-something-went-wrong-4175598409/)

18yu9wdef 01-27-2017 08:53 PM

Debian Freshly Installed - "Oh no, something went wrong"
 
On a virtual machine, I just installed Debian 8. After setting it up and booting into it for the first time, I get a white screen saying, "Oh no, something went wrong". I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've tried reinstalling, but some problem.

BW-userx 01-27-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18yu9wdef (Post 5661257)
On a virtual machine, I just installed Debian 8. After setting it up and booting into it for the first time, I get a white screen saying, "Oh no, something went wrong". I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've tried reinstalling, but some problem.

sounds just like a windows message... very informative, but you're reinstalling and trying it again. good job!

frankbell 01-27-2017 09:04 PM

I have not run into this, though I've installed Debian to bare metal without issues many times. I do have a few ideas for troubleshooting.

What virtualization software are you using, and, in particular, what is the VM software's setting for the video adapter? If this were a bare metal install, my first suspect would be the graphics driver.

When you boot the VM, do you have the option to boot into Safe Mode or something like that? (I forget the exact Debian boot terminology.)

Alternatively, can you boot the installation media into Live Mode, mount the install drive, and take a look at the logs, either in /var/log or using SystemD tools?

This LQ thread may provide some hints: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...rt-4175510641/

Afterthought:

This is a complete shot in the dark, but, as best as I can remember, the current Debian installation routine asks you to select a Display Manager at time of install; I think it defaults to GDM. Which one did you select?

AwesomeMachine 01-27-2017 09:51 PM

Try getting to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F3) and do
Code:

$ dpkg-reconfigure libpam-systemd
and
Code:

$ dpkg-reconfigure systemd
and then
Code:

$ ps aux | grep X | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo kill $1
The xserver should restart.

If it fails, have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I hope this helps.

ondoho 01-28-2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18yu9wdef (Post 5661257)
"Oh no, something went wrong".

how very informative. i know it's not your fault. must be a gnome thing.

anyhow, it all starts with getting into a tty, as described earlier.
or boot into rescue mode.

the most likely guess is a graphical driver issue, so enter these commands:
Code:

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d'
uname -rv
sudo grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and post their output, incl. the commands themselves, here.

bonus points if you manage code tags.

18yu9wdef 01-28-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine (Post 5661272)
Try getting to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F3) and do
Code:

$ dpkg-reconfigure libpam-systemd
and
Code:

$ dpkg-reconfigure systemd
and then
Code:

$ ps aux | grep X | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo kill $1
The xserver should restart.

If it fails, have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I hope this helps.

Terminal in host OS or the one in VM?

18yu9wdef 01-28-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 5661374)
how very informative. i know it's not your fault. must be a gnome thing.

anyhow, it all starts with getting into a tty, as described earlier.
or boot into rescue mode.

the most likely guess is a graphical driver issue, so enter these commands:
Code:

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d'
uname -rv
sudo grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and post their output, incl. the commands themselves, here.

bonus points if you manage code tags.

I tried to use these commands, but it returns with "invalid length augments" and "sudo command not found".

18yu9wdef 01-28-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 5661266)
I have not run into this, though I've installed Debian to bare metal without issues many times. I do have a few ideas for troubleshooting.

What virtualization software are you using, and, in particular, what is the VM software's setting for the video adapter? If this were a bare metal install, my first suspect would be the graphics driver.

When you boot the VM, do you have the option to boot into Safe Mode or something like that? (I forget the exact Debian boot terminology.)

Alternatively, can you boot the installation media into Live Mode, mount the install drive, and take a look at the logs, either in /var/log or using SystemD tools?

This LQ thread may provide some hints: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...rt-4175510641/

Afterthought:

This is a complete shot in the dark, but, as best as I can remember, the current Debian installation routine asks you to select a Display Manager at time of install; I think it defaults to GDM. Which one did you select?

I'm currently on VirtualBox. 12MB on video memory without 2D or 3D acceleration. I'd hate to say this, but I'm not sure what display manager did I pick. I don't remember seeing it asking for a display manager. But, I'll go back to check and see.

BW-userx 01-28-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 5661374)
bonus points if you manage code tags.

incentive program alive in LQ.

ondoho 01-29-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18yu9wdef (Post 5661426)
Terminal in host OS or the one in VM?

vm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18yu9wdef (Post 5661428)
I tried to use these commands, but it returns with "invalid length augments" and "sudo command not found".

please post complete commands & complete output.

rokytnji 01-29-2017 10:02 AM

Might help or not. But requires you to start over.

http://www.brianlinkletter.com/insta...rtual-machine/

AwesomeMachine 01-30-2017 01:03 AM

In the VM
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 18yu9wdef (Post 5661426)
Terminal in host OS or the one in VM?

Terminal in the VM.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.