LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
sunveer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 139

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Configure DNS for Public IP


I want configure DNS for the public IP, so that anyone can access my web server using a name and not the public ip.

Please provide me the steps.
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
pingu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Skuttunge SWEDEN
Distribution: Debian preferably
Posts: 1,350

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
You need a valid domainname.
I don't know where you live but here are some:
www.godaddy.com
www.register.com
www.namecheap.com

These are examples, I have never used them, know nothing about them.
Google for "buy domainname" in your own language.
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
sunveer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 139

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
You need a valid domainname.
I don't know where you live but here are some:
www.godaddy.com
www.register.com
www.namecheap.com

These are examples, I have never used them, know nothing about them.
Google for "buy domainname" in your own language.
These require DNS for our webhost and since my machine is the host, so I want to configure DNS for my machine.
Therefore, first I have to configure DNS and require those steps.
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
pingu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Skuttunge SWEDEN
Distribution: Debian preferably
Posts: 1,350

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
I'm not sure I understand you.
For DNS, you need a valid domainname. Then you set the nameservers to be used, normally done in registrars web interface.
You can use registrars nemeservers if you want, and point 'www.' and whatever url you like to your public ip.

Example, my domain 'tuxit'se':
Code:
Extract from "#whoios tuxit.se"
nserver:          ns3.binero.se
dnssec:           unsigned delegation
status:           ok
registrar:        Loopia AB
So I have bought the domainname from Loopia AB, then in Loopias controlpanel (webgui) I changed nameservers to ns#.binero.se

Then, in Bineros controlpanel I have my DNS records.

Code:
*	A	3600	195.74.38.17
@	A	3600	195.74.38.17
ftp	A	3600	195.74.38.22
www	A	3600	195.74.38.17
So, my website is on host with public ip 195.74.38.17

Last edited by pingu; 09-02-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
sunveer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 139

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can I setup my own domain name instead of purchasing it from a registrar?
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
pingu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Skuttunge SWEDEN
Distribution: Debian preferably
Posts: 1,350

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Nope - not if want it to be publicly available.
Using a domainname of your own means you have to set up your own dns-servers. Noone else will use them no matter how publicly available they are.
(Also, trying to set up a personal, publicly available nameserver will give you LOTS of headache! The only people I know of that do that are criminals who try to lure people to their sites.)

But domainnames aren't that costly, I pay around 10 euro / 15$ per year for a domainname.
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
sunveer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 139

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
Nope - not if want it to be publicly available.
Using a domainname of your own means you have to set up your own dns-servers. Noone else will use them no matter how publicly available they are.
(Also, trying to set up a personal, publicly available nameserver will give you LOTS of headache! The only people I know of that do that are criminals who try to lure people to their sites.)

But domainnames aren't that costly, I pay around 10 euro / 15$ per year for a domainname.
I have configured DNS server for private IP on my machine and I want to see if I can set it for public IP. I am doing this to gain knowledge, not for any business or any criminal activity.
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
pingu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Skuttunge SWEDEN
Distribution: Debian preferably
Posts: 1,350

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
If you have your own dns server then you can use it to point any url you like to your public ip.
But only you will use it - well, of course you could ask some friends to use your dns server as their third.
You could put up a dns server accessible from outside, but as I said earlier noone will use it.
I don't know if you can get into trouble doing this. Probably not if your personal domainnames are clearly yours and do not exist in real Internet - but I don't know!
Alos legislation differs between countries.
Private dns servers are commonly used on private networks only, not publicly available.
The reason for that, and the legal problem you might run into, is because one way to steal money is to fiddle with dns & nameserver settings.

So, if you want your site available publicly: buy a domainname.
If you just want to play around & learn, set up a private network. In there you can use whatevere domainnames you like. (But beware, if you choose domainnames also used IRL, you will not be able to reach those sites.)
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
sunveer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 139

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
If you have your own dns server then you can use it to point any url you like to your public ip.
But only you will use it - well, of course you could ask some friends to use your dns server as their third.
You could put up a dns server accessible from outside, but as I said earlier noone will use it.
I don't know if you can get into trouble doing this. Probably not if your personal domainnames are clearly yours and do not exist in real Internet - but I don't know!
Alos legislation differs between countries.
Private dns servers are commonly used on private networks only, not publicly available.
The reason for that, and the legal problem you might run into, is because one way to steal money is to fiddle with dns & nameserver settings.

So, if you want your site available publicly: buy a domainname.
If you just want to play around & learn, set up a private network. In there you can use whatevere domainnames you like. (But beware, if you choose domainnames also used IRL, you will not be able to reach those sites.)
Ok, I don't go in setting a public DNS.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Questions about public DNS MasterRoot24 Linux - Networking 10 03-07-2012 07:13 PM
[SOLVED] Need New Public DNS Host tonyfreeman Linux - Networking 5 12-15-2010 09:04 AM
How to configure DNS Server & DNS Client in RHEL4 chanakkya Linux - Networking 1 07-05-2009 01:41 PM
how to configure master dns in windows2003 server and its slave dns in rhel5 suneellinux Linux - Newbie 1 04-11-2008 05:13 PM
DNS public host marius_vl Linux - Networking 5 06-01-2006 07:35 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration