LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 15
cant see xp files


I have a dual boot system.XP Pro on one drive and Debian on a seperate drive.I have used a couple of linux os's before (mandrake,Suse,Ubuntu) and in each linux os i could see the drive my xp pro was on.I have looked for ages trying to find my other drive in Debian so i can use some of the windows files that are used by both and they are nowhere to be seen.In devices which i thought it would be theres a couple of files: hda, hdb but they have a lock on them.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
cuiq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philly
Distribution: Debian Lenny, FreeBSD
Posts: 577

Rep: Reputation: 30
Can you post your fstab file?
 
Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0





using fdisk my devices are as follows:

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40060001280 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4870 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 4869 39110211 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10245537792 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 1245 10000431 83 Linux

Last edited by rsuave; 01-09-2006 at 11:46 AM.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Looks like you need to add:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/WinXP ntfs ro,user,defaults 0 0

This will allow you to mount the partition (be sure to mkdir /mount/WinXP) read only. Write support for NTFS is still experimental and not recommended (you can lose data and make your XP partition unbootable).
 
Old 01-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Best way is to create a data partition (ideally on a separate drive). Format FAT32 and it is easily accessible from Windows or Linux
 
Old 01-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez
Looks like you need to add:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/WinXP ntfs ro,user,defaults 0 0

This will allow you to mount the partition (be sure to mkdir /mount/WinXP) read only. Write support for NTFS is still experimental and not recommended (you can lose data and make your XP partition unbootable).

tried that it makes a Xp folder but its empty.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
ericfx
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: CA Foothills
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 15
Using FAT32 will solve some issues. Backup your data and delete Windows. Reinstall Linux and make a new partition as your backup, install a second HDD or RAID array, or just use good ol /home.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
cuiq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philly
Distribution: Debian Lenny, FreeBSD
Posts: 577

Rep: Reputation: 30
This is my fstab file, the windows drive represents winxp

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda2	/home		ext3	defaults	0	2
/dev/sda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660	noauto,users,dev,rw  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#/dev/hdb6	/mnt/debian		ext3	defaults,user	0	0
/dev/hda1	/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,users,gid=users,uid=1000,umask=0002,nls=utf8	0	0
Now even though I have "auto" I still had to activate the hard drive, which now mounts and loads every time I boot debian. Here is how to activate it.

(In gnome) click - Desktop--->Administration--->Disk
enter your root password then select the hard drive or partition that has windows (this list will be on the left side of the box) on it then click "activate". However make sure the "access path" has (in your case) /mnt/WinXP (mine has /mnt/windows). One more thing, if your file still comes up empty delete it and recreate it.

Last edited by cuiq; 01-09-2006 at 07:00 PM.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
rsuave, sorry, I should have said that once you have it in your fstab, you still have to mount it. Type mount /mnt/WinXP (you might have to do that as root).

Oh, and it looks like I made a typo. It should have been mkdir /mnt/WinXP in post #6...

Last edited by pljvaldez; 01-09-2006 at 07:23 PM.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiq
This is my fstab file, the windows drive represents winxp

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda2	/home		ext3	defaults	0	2
/dev/sda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660	noauto,users,dev,rw  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#/dev/hdb6	/mnt/debian		ext3	defaults,user	0	0
/dev/hda1	/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,users,gid=users,uid=1000,umask=0002,nls=utf8	0	0
Now even though I have "auto" I still had to activate the hard drive, which now mounts and loads every time I boot debian. Here is how to activate it.

(In gnome) click - Desktop--->Administration--->Disk
enter your root password then select the hard drive or partition that has windows (this list will be on the left side of the box) on it then click "activate". However make sure the "access path" has (in your case) /mnt/WinXP (mine has /mnt/windows). One more thing, if your file still comes up empty delete it and recreate it.

Thanking you very much .I can see my XP files.It worked.now the last bit.cant find administration under desktop.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
cuiq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philly
Distribution: Debian Lenny, FreeBSD
Posts: 577

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Thanking you very much .I can see my XP files.It worked.now the last bit.cant find administration under desktop.
If you are using gnome at the top on your panel you should have these three

Applications Places Destop

click Desktop. If you don't see this you may need to add it by right clicking on the panel and clicking "Add to Panel".

Oh...you're welcome.

Last edited by cuiq; 01-09-2006 at 08:05 PM.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiq
If you are using gnome at the top on your panel you should have these three

Applications Places Destop

click Desktop. If you don't see this you may need to add it by right clicking on the panel and clicking "Add to Panel".

Oh...you're welcome.

I just have Applications and Actions at the top.then icons for filesystem and terminal.Went to add panel no Desktop just show desktop .
 
Old 01-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
cuiq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philly
Distribution: Debian Lenny, FreeBSD
Posts: 577

Rep: Reputation: 30
Before we get into adding this to the panel lets see if we can bring it up.

Open a terminal and log in as root at the prompt type

disks-admin

then press enter. If you have this application it should come up, if not then you'll have to download it through apt-get or synaptic.
 
Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
rsuave
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiq
Before we get into adding this to the panel lets see if we can bring it up.

Open a terminal and log in as root at the prompt type

disks-admin

then press enter. If you have this application it should come up, if not then you'll have to download it through apt-get or synaptic.
whats the package called?
 
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
cuiq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Philly
Distribution: Debian Lenny, FreeBSD
Posts: 577

Rep: Reputation: 30
I believe it's gnome-applets or gnome-system-tools.

Last edited by cuiq; 01-09-2006 at 09:06 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Able to write files to MP3 player but no files written into actual device? olnex Linux - Hardware 0 11-11-2005 07:32 AM
How program to read files with extension .dat y .cfg files COMTRADE in fedora 1? ivonne Linux - Software 0 11-22-2004 12:42 PM
How can konqueror view html files in .gz & .bz2 files directly? ailinzhe Linux - Software 5 05-24-2004 09:36 AM
xine plays only (a part of) the sound of a wmv, some divx files and crushes mp4 files bezoomny Linux - Software 1 03-10-2004 08:33 PM
How to filter files in files and files which are in a sub-directory with "grep"? Piero Linux - Newbie 9 08-29-2003 03:38 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration