LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Can't import Qt modules, PyQt is probably not installed ... (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/cant-import-qt-modules-pyqt-is-probably-not-installed-944559/)

nawras_ch 05-12-2012 07:34 AM

Can't import Qt modules, PyQt is probably not installed ...
 
hi i am new with linux and i need to install GNS3 on my centos O.S...
i used this link to do this !!!
http://networkingtips-tricks.blogspo...l-gns3-on.html

every thing was ok and it's working correctly but after i reboot it's give me a message that tell me :Can't import Qt modules, PyQt is probably not installed ...

and i think the problem found when i follow this instructions at the last website which said:

Update for Centos:
Users of Centos get this error "Need Python 2.6 or higher" after following the above steps. The problem is, there is no way to upgrade Python 2.4 to 2.6. Because upgrading to 2.6 will break the OS.The solution is to install Python 2.6 alongside 2.4. So here are the steps to install Python 2.6 from the source

[user@admin ~]$ su

Password: (Type in your root password here)

[root@admin /]#wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/Python-2.6.6.tgz tar -zxvf Python-2.6.6.tgz cd Python-2.6.6 ./config && make && make install

Add the install path (/usr/local/bin/python : by default) to ~/.bash_profile as follow :

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin/python2.6

Now follow the steps given at the top page,
Change python configure.py to python2.6 configure.py under Next we'll install SIP and Next we'll Install PyQt4.


so as i think there is problem with version compatible between something
appreciate any help ....
thanx alot

djsoundfx 05-13-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawras_ch (Post 4676568)
hi i am new with linux and i need to install GNS3 on my centos O.S...
i used this link to do this !!!
http://networkingtips-tricks.blogspo...l-gns3-on.html

every thing was ok and it's working correctly but after i reboot it's give me a message that tell me :Can't import Qt modules, PyQt is probably not installed ...

and i think the problem found when i follow this instructions at the last website which said:

Update for Centos:
Users of Centos get this error "Need Python 2.6 or higher" after following the above steps. The problem is, there is no way to upgrade Python 2.4 to 2.6. Because upgrading to 2.6 will break the OS.The solution is to install Python 2.6 alongside 2.4. So here are the steps to install Python 2.6 from the source

[user@admin ~]$ su

Password: (Type in your root password here)

[root@admin /]#wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/Python-2.6.6.tgz tar -zxvf Python-2.6.6.tgz cd Python-2.6.6 ./config && make && make install

Add the install path (/usr/local/bin/python : by default) to ~/.bash_profile as follow :

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin/python2.6

Now follow the steps given at the top page,
Change python configure.py to python2.6 configure.py under Next we'll install SIP and Next we'll Install PyQt4.


so as i think there is problem with version compatible between something
appreciate any help ....
thanx alot

What have you tried here? Have you attempted to install python2.6 alongside 2.4? What version of CentOS are you using and what kernel?

nawras_ch 05-13-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsoundfx (Post 4677035)
What have you tried here? Have you attempted to install python2.6 alongside 2.4? What version of CentOS are you using and what kernel?

thanx for your attention...
yes i installed python2.6 alongside 2.4...
and don't now to remove it again...
because GNS was works well with python 2.4

and my centos kernal
CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

i know that after i typed this command:
cat /etc/*-release

wish i answer what you asking me for ...
and thanx a lot...

djsoundfx 05-13-2012 10:05 AM

Also, to find your kernel version its 'uname -r' but I don't think that I need that anymore.
Okay, what version of GNS3 are you trying to install?
You said it was working does this mean you just upgraded?
Are you sure that PyQt, Qt and the other dependencies have been installed? They may need to be upgraded if you just recently upgraded your GNS version.

nawras_ch 05-13-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsoundfx (Post 4677279)
Also, to find your kernel version its 'uname -r' but I don't think that I need that anymore.
Okay, what version of GNS3 are you trying to install?
You said it was working does this mean you just upgraded?
Are you sure that PyQt, Qt and the other dependencies have been installed? They may need to be upgraded if you just recently upgraded your GNS version.

my kernel version is "2.6.32-220.13.1.el6.i686" .... and the GNS version is unknown to me
but i install it from "nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gns-3/GNS3/0.7.4/GNS3-0.7.4-src.tar.bz2"
sir if you attention i do every thing that website tell me to do but at the end they tell me to update by saying :
Update for Centos:
Users of Centos get this error "Need Python 2.6 or higher" after following the above steps. The problem is, there is no way to upgrade Python 2.4 to 2.6. Because upgrading to 2.6 will break the OS.The solution is to install Python 2.6 alongside 2.4. So here are the steps to install Python 2.6 from the source

and before i do it gns was works well but after that it broken and after i type #"/opt/GNS3/gns3"
appear to me message thats tell me ... "Can't import Qt modules, PyQt is probably not installed ..."

and i will so appreciate if you tell me how to upgrade PyQt,Qt note that i do not upgrade GNS version

knudfl 05-13-2012 11:23 AM

There is no python 2.4 on CentOS 6. Unless you changed the system python.
( The python 2.4 referred text is about CentOS 5.)
The command : 'python --version' or '/usr/bin/python --version'
.. will usually reply with the system version : Python 2.6.6

Removing a manually installed python : There is no uninstall.
You will simply have to delete all the files.


The GNS3 version on the GNS3 site is 0.8.2
http://www.gns3.net/ >>> http://www.gns3.net/download/
> GNS3 v0.8.2 bz2

PyQt : # yum search pyqt
# yum install PyQt4-devel

And the command 'python gns3' will open the GNS3 GUI OK.

.

nawras_ch 05-14-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 4677318)
There is no python 2.4 on CentOS 6. Unless you changed the system python.
( The python 2.4 referred text is about CentOS 5.)
The command : 'python --version' or '/usr/bin/python --version'
.. will usually reply with the system version : Python 2.6.6

Removing a manually installed python : There is no uninstall.
You will simply have to delete all the files.


The GNS3 version on the GNS3 site is 0.8.2
http://www.gns3.net/ >>> http://www.gns3.net/download/
> GNS3 v0.8.2 bz2

PyQt : # yum search pyqt
# yum install PyQt4-devel

And the command 'python gns3' will open the GNS3 GUI OK.

.

i really do what you tell me to do and i think my problem solved unless i faced an other GUI problem :
the error message tell me after typing #python gns3 :
No protocol specified
gns3: cannot connect to X server :0.0

and no thing appear to me sir ... so can you help me to know what exactly can i do to solve it ...

knudfl 05-15-2012 03:33 AM

# 7.
Quote:

No protocol specified
gns3: cannot connect to X server :0.0
Just install GNS3 in /home/<user-name>/ : = Default location.
And then run 'python gns3' as unprivileged user.


Please do not run applications as root.
... 'root' is for administrative tasks only.

.

nawras_ch 05-15-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 4678590)
# 7.

Just install GNS3 in /home/<user-name>/ : = Default location.
And then run 'python gns3' as unprivileged user.


Please do not run applications as root.
... 'root' is for administrative tasks only.

.

you are the best really ... all appreciate and thank you very very very much for helping me ...
its working very well ...

but while am adding a router message appear to me telling me :
"can not start Dynamips on port 7200 "

i know its a problem that related about the GNS3 program but i hope you have something to tell me about that ...
"note: i add the IOS but the Test of Dynamips field"
i hope i don't bother you again and again ...
and all regards for you sir...

djsoundfx 05-15-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawras_ch (Post 4678838)
you are the best really ... all appreciate and thank you very very very much for helping me ...
its working very well ...

but while am adding a router message appear to me telling me :
"can not start Dynamips on port 7200 "

This error is usually caused by an issue with the path to the dynamips file so ensure that is correct under preferences. It also can be an issue with permissions in the working directory so check our permissions or try a different working directory. Though if that doesn't help you may have better luck researching that issue on the GNS forums.

nawras_ch 05-15-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsoundfx (Post 4679024)
This error is usually caused by an issue with the path to the dynamips file so ensure that is correct under preferences. It also can be an issue with permissions in the working directory so check our permissions or try a different working directory. Though if that doesn't help you may have better luck researching that issue on the GNS forums.

that's right it's something about the path ...
but it's working well now and thanks about your help...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.