LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
linuxishard
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: 16
Cant download an iso mounter?


i get onto Ubuntu Software Center and try too download

"gISOMount"

and i get a message like this

The installation could have failed because of an error in the corresponding software package or it was cancelled in an unfriendly way. You have to repair this before you can install or remove any further software.

is this something i should be worried about, can i fix this.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
b0uncer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: CentOS, OS X
Posts: 5,131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
No, you need not be. The source of the problem would be interesting to know, but from that description it's difficult to say--it could be a broken package, but it could just as well be something else. However if the installation stopped, apt might (and probably will) notify you that you ought to "fix things" next time you're trying to do something with it (package management actions). In that case it probably gives you a command to run, for example
Code:
sudo apt-get remove <broken package name> --fix-broken
or something like that. Follow the instructions and you ought to be fine.

If you want, run apt-get from a terminal and see what it says. First update your package lists,
Code:
sudo apt-get update
then try to install something, for example
Code:
sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
I'm not sure if fortune-mod is installed by default, but I assume it's not (it's a program that spits out some "funny" messages when run). If it installs fine, you can remove it, or if it doesn't, you should get instructions on how to fix the package manager problems caused by the interrupted installation you mentioned. Fortune-mod itself has nothing to do with this problem, but it serves as a means to investigate apt's state, and might give you a wisdom or two at the end of these affairs

Last edited by b0uncer; 07-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
linuxishard
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix
Posts: 81

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0uncer View Post
No, you need not be. The source of the problem would be interesting to know, but from that description it's difficult to say--it could be a broken package, but it could just as well be something else. However if the installation stopped, apt might (and probably will) notify you that you ought to "fix things" next time you're trying to do something with it (package management actions). In that case it probably gives you a command to run, for example
Code:
sudo apt-get remove <broken package name> --fix-broken
or something like that. Follow the instructions and you ought to be fine.

If you want, run apt-get from a terminal and see what it says. First update your package lists,
Code:
sudo apt-get update
then try to install something, for example
Code:
sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
I'm not sure if fortune-mod is installed by default, but I assume it's not (it's a program that spits out some "funny" messages when run). If it installs fine, you can remove it, or if it doesn't, you should get instructions on how to fix the package manager problems caused by the interrupted installation you mentioned. Fortune-mod itself has nothing to do with this problem, but it serves as a means to investigate apt's state, and might give you a wisdom or two at the end of these affairs
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
[sudo] password for drew:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
fortune-mod: Depends: librecode0 (>= 3.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: fortunes-min but it is not going to be installed or
fortune-cookie-db
sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (>= 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
ia32-sun-java6-bin (>= 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3) but it is not installable
Recommends: gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016 CentOS6.9 CentOS7.3 + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,703

Rep: Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291
If I remember right, it is easier to do

sudo mount -o loop my.iso /home/<username>/<new-folder>

.. than it is to use a tool like gISOMount.
..
 
Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 77
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/iso
Code:
sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/iso
Yesterday there was a chap who could surf, but could not update Ubuntu, it spit out a cannot connect to mirrors error, I wonder if there is a common issue here.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016 CentOS6.9 CentOS7.3 + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,703

Rep: Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291Reputation: 3291
Quote:
sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (>= 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3)
but it is not going to be installed
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486951 :

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
sudo apt-get update
.. Then all sun-java6* will be available.
..
 
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
b0uncer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: CentOS, OS X
Posts: 5,131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxishard View Post
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
[sudo] password for drew:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
drew@drew-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install fortune-mod
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
fortune-mod: Depends: librecode0 (>= 3.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: fortunes-min but it is not going to be installed or
fortune-cookie-db
sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (>= 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed or
ia32-sun-java6-bin (>= 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3) but it is not installable
Recommends: gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Well, you don't really need to satisfy those dependencies; as I mentioned in my earlier post, fortune-mod was only a way to check how apt is feeling (this way you found out that apt wanted you to run "dpkg --configure -a" which you did!) So, if you don't want to add the (unnecessary) package(s) to your system, simply don't add them (= don't try to install fortune-mod anymore, unless you specifically want to). If you haven't got problems with Java, you maybe don't want to go further and install the sun-java6-* packages; don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Last edited by b0uncer; 07-28-2010 at 12:40 AM.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,665

Rep: Reputation: 486Reputation: 486Reputation: 486Reputation: 486Reputation: 486
Quote:
If I remember right, it is easier to do

sudo mount -o loop my.iso /home/<username>/<new-folder>

.. than it is to use a tool like gISOMount.
Yes. I remember my microsoft days when I needed to run an ISO mounter because the OS does not provide any to do that job.

But here in Linux it is just a matter of one loop
 
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,243
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 681Reputation: 681Reputation: 681Reputation: 681Reputation: 681Reputation: 681
# mount -o loop -t iso9660 /location/image.iso /mount/point

You can even add an entry in /etc/fstab if it's a regular name and location and you want to do that as a user. In ubuntu you'd probably need to prefix that with sudo. Could be other filesystems depending on the image, so -t auto which is probably the default anyway.

Otherwise fix your package manager. Could be no network. Could be a faulty DNS. Could be a mirror down. Could be an interrupted upgrade (power failure, it happens). Could be a corrupted file in /var/lib/dpkg/, I've had that happen BITD with debian. Power failure, corrupted file system, /var/lib/dpkg/available moved to lost+found. I just copied available.old to available and all was well again. After running the usual update stuff to ensure everything was current of course.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ISO to download? LinuxNewbie999 *BSD 11 04-02-2008 01:52 PM
Download ISO section -- wrong ISO in Slackware vharishankar LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 02-15-2005 01:38 PM
which ISO do I download? sandboy6184 Debian 1 10-04-2004 08:52 PM
Which ISO to download? Kensai Debian 2 03-13-2004 11:21 AM
download iso demmylls Linux - General 4 11-26-2003 04:40 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration