LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Can I install Fedora after XP and still have both? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/can-i-install-fedora-after-xp-and-still-have-both-4175498735/)

Ali H 03-19-2014 09:20 AM

Can I install Fedora after XP and still have both?
 
Dear readers,

I have a Windows XP on my PC and now I'd like to install Fedora 20 without losing my Windows. I wonder if by doing so I will have the dual-boot menu or not. I don't like to re-install XP after Fedora.

(I have enough unformatted space on the disk for Linux).

Thanks in advance,
Ali

snowday 03-19-2014 09:25 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I think this is well-covered in the Fedora 20 Installation Guide; specifically Chapters 9.11 through 9.14.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ide/index.html

Do you have a specific question about something you read in these chapters?

schneidz 03-19-2014 09:25 AM

yeah... just run the fedora live-usb installer.

prayag_pjs 03-19-2014 09:28 AM

Install Linux on the un-formatted space. You will have dual boot system

snowday 03-19-2014 09:31 AM

By the way, a reminder that Microsoft is pulling all security support for XP in a couple of weeks. Personally, I would upgrade to Windows 7 before installing Fedora, or possibly just go all-Linux. :)

Ali H 03-19-2014 09:47 AM

Oh, thank you for welcoming me and for all the kind replies.
I want both operating systems on one hard drive. My question is whether after installing Fedora there will be any dual-boot menu to switch between Linux and Windows or not.
Based on your answers I conclude: Yes there will be a dual-boot menu and the XP also will remain accessible.

May I ask my 2nd question please? If I installed Fedora (and XP was there first) is there an easy way to re-install XP some time later without touching (modifying/uninstalling/etc) Fedora? I think during installing Linux this OS suggests us to make some kind of recovery disk or something. Then, if some time later we wanted to re-install Windows (without touching Linux) it can be done easily, right?

prayag_pjs 03-19-2014 10:04 AM

You can re-install Windows but be cautious about the drive having Linux or you may format the in-correct partition.

When you install Windows after Linux, windows will remove Linux boot loader form MBR.

So after installing windows you will have re-install grub/bootloader

Boot in rescue mode and install grub :

Code:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
 grub-install /dev/sda


John VV 03-19-2014 11:07 AM

a unasked question is
Can your computer even run Fedora 20 ?
dose this OLD xp computer have the Minimum specifications
you "can" install if there is 1 gig of ram
BUT 4 gigs of ram REALLY is needed

is the video card supported ?
the old ATI and Nvidia cards ARE NOT SUPPORTED !!!
my old xp computer has a 3.5 in floppy
3.5 infloppy drives ARE NOT supported .

reinstalling XP will remove fedora

you will likely need to reinstall fedora
research this VERY VERY VERY thoroughly , it can be done but ....

Ali H 03-19-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prayag_pjs (Post 5137416)
You can re-install Windows but be cautious about the drive having Linux or you may format the in-correct partition.

When you install Windows after Linux, windows will remove Linux boot loader form MBR.

So after installing windows you will have re-install grub/bootloader

Boot in rescue mode and install grub :

Code:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
 grub-install /dev/sda


Thanks a lot for the clear guide! So helpful!

Ali H 03-19-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 5137448)
a unasked question is
Can your computer even run Fedora 20 ?
dose this OLD xp computer have the Minimum specifications
you "can" install if there is 1 gig of ram
BUT 4 gigs of ram REALLY is needed

is the video card supported ?
the old ATI and Nvidia cards ARE NOT SUPPORTED !!!
my old xp computer has a 3.5 in floppy
3.5 infloppy drives ARE NOT supported .

reinstalling XP will remove fedora

you will likely need to reinstall fedora
research this VERY VERY VERY thoroughly , it can be done but ....

Thank you for the points you stated! My PC has one GB of RAM. A 2.6 GHz CPU and a GeForce 6200 VGA. If the new version didn't support the hardware, I've to try some older version.

schneidz 03-19-2014 12:36 PM

look into the lxde or xfce spins which are designed for lower spec machines.

John VV 03-19-2014 12:59 PM

GeForce 6200
these are currently supported with the "325.15 " driver
BUT
they are the very very last

the 6000's will be going end of life very soon

1 gig of ram really is not enough to run gnome3 that fedora 20 uses BY DEFAULT
nor is it enough for kde4

use a "light weight" desktop manager like xfce or lxde

firefox uses a bit of ram so BE WARNED
as i an typing it is using 419 Meg of ram

as to old versions
Warning:
DO NOT !!!!!!!!!!!
Do not use old unsupported versions of fedora !!!!


fedora has a VERY short life span
only 13 months !!!
With a new version released every 6 months
you really DO NEED to upgrade to the new version about every 6 months !!!

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
the lxde version should work fine
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/

BUT
on older hardware it might be best to use a VERY !!! conservative LONG life operating system

like CentOS 6.5
cent is a free rebuild of redhats RHEL 6.5

and is in the same family as fedora

BUT
Cent is mainly a "server" and "business Office" operating system

it "can" be used for home general purpose computing
BUT a lot of care needs to be taken

as you can see from my Sig. ( see below )
i run ScientificLinux 6.5 ( also a free rebuild of RHEL 6.5)
BUT i do NOT use it as my everyday OS
i use it for some software that NEEDS the 10 year lifespam


my everyday operating system is OpenSUSE and NOT redhat

snowday 03-19-2014 01:06 PM

Another way to experiment with Linux is by purchasing a device such as a Chromebook or Android phone/tablet. This would give you Linux with zero effort on your part, and no risk to your existing Windows install. :)

Ali H 03-19-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 5137522)
GeForce 6200
these are currently supported with the "325.15 " driver
BUT......

Special thanks for the key points and guides you provided!
They were very informative to me!

Ali H 03-19-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowpine (Post 5137530)
Another way to experiment with Linux is by purchasing a device such as a Chromebook or Android phone/tablet. This would give you Linux with zero effort on your part, and no risk to your existing Windows install. :)

Yes, I have an older PC. Some minutes ago I inserted an old Fedora 9 CD to give it a try but the disk had some problem and the PC didn't boot it.
I've to find a better way : ))

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 11:12 PM ----------

I thank you all for kindly spending time and answering the questions!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.