LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
bananaLover
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can't launch a discord bot with wine and screen


Hey! Yesterday I used linux for the first time and I literally know nothing. I purchased a Ubuntu Xenial server, where I only have access to a console, I created a SSH key and connected using PuTTY, installed "screen" and "wine" so I could run my discord bot on the machine. This is where I got stuck as launching wine bot.exe in screen throws out "Wine Mono is not installed".
I don't know what's the issue as nowhere that I looked anybody had this issue with wine, only thing that I could find called wine mono was this link here on github. I don't understand how to install it, or is it even what I need.

I would really appreciate step by step instructions, thanks for help and understanding.
 
Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 7,992
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443
Hi and welcome,

You used Linux for the first time and you purchased a server, which has command line only.

Are you comfortable using a typical Window interface like what Windows offers? Or are you more comfortable working with servers and only typing in the command line?

Discord seems to work fine just using a web browser on my Mint desktop machine. I'm sure if I installed an application for it, that it would work fine on the window manager I have.

My point here is that you're talking about using Wine which gives you Windows program capabilities and I believe a user interface. Therefore why not run a GUI on that server, or re-provision the entire system to be a desktop?

What members can benefit from here is a better description of what you want to do with that system so that we can help you more effectively. There are several ways to accomplish something, but using Wine to get a user interface to then run discord on a console based server, would not be my first choice. Please let us know what you wish to do with that system, long term and then perhaps we can offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
 
Old 10-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
bananaLover
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
Hi and welcome,

You used Linux for the first time and you purchased a server, which has command line only.

Are you comfortable using a typical Window interface like what Windows offers? Or are you more comfortable working with servers and only typing in the command line?

Discord seems to work fine just using a web browser on my Mint desktop machine. I'm sure if I installed an application for it, that it would work fine on the window manager I have.

My point here is that you're talking about using Wine which gives you Windows program capabilities and I believe a user interface. Therefore why not run a GUI on that server, or re-provision the entire system to be a desktop?

What members can benefit from here is a better description of what you want to do with that system so that we can help you more effectively. There are several ways to accomplish something, but using Wine to get a user interface to then run discord on a console based server, would not be my first choice. Please let us know what you wish to do with that system, long term and then perhaps we can offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
I purchased the cheapest option (2$/month for a small server) from scaleway with the only intention to run my bot off of, knowing nothing about linux. I didn't realise how big of a mess it's going to be, would have written the bot with dotnet if I had. So now I'm stuck, and if there's a better option, like having an interface, I would love nothing more that that. I'd even be happy if you just linked a tutorial that explains how to do.
 
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 7,992
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443
Please review the link in my signature about how to use the LinuxQuestions.org site where it describes how to ask effective questions on our site.

We're not here to provide guides which you can search for. I do realize you've searched, but you seem to have searched and tried to do things using a dot net interface type of programming model. Instead search for how to create a bot using something like python and how to run it or host it from a Linux server using only the command line.

I've not done that, never had any interest in it, so I have no guides. Meanwhile some searching along the lines I described in the last paragraph shows some results.

Everyone here, including yourself, is a volunteer. The way the LinuxQuestions site works is that we're happy to help you, but we wish to go alongside and work with you, not do the effort for you, in your place. The best starting points we have are to search for solutions.

To be clear "create and run bot using python on Linux command line" will get you started. You may wish to refine those search terms and check out a number of secondary hits you find within the first set of results.

If you truly have better expertise with dot-net, then get an environment to develop and deploy in that.
 
Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
bananaLover
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
Please review the link in my signature about how to use the LinuxQuestions.org site where it describes how to ask effective questions on our site.

We're not here to provide guides which you can search for. I do realize you've searched, but you seem to have searched and tried to do things using a dot net interface type of programming model. Instead search for how to create a bot using something like python and how to run it or host it from a Linux server using only the command line.

I've not done that, never had any interest in it, so I have no guides. Meanwhile some searching along the lines I described in the last paragraph shows some results.

Everyone here, including yourself, is a volunteer. The way the LinuxQuestions site works is that we're happy to help you, but we wish to go alongside and work with you, not do the effort for you, in your place. The best starting points we have are to search for solutions.

To be clear "create and run bot using python on Linux command line" will get you started. You may wish to refine those search terms and check out a number of secondary hits you find within the first set of results.

If you truly have better expertise with dot-net, then get an environment to develop and deploy in that.
I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to rewrite my bot in a different language. That is a huge overkill for simply hosting my bot on a server. I thought I asked my question pretty clearly, which was how to insteall wino mono that I linked for what I assumed was the solution to "Wine Mono is not installed" error I kept getting.
 
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 7,992
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaLover View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to rewrite my bot in a different language. That is a huge overkill for simply hosting my bot on a server. I thought I asked my question pretty clearly, which was how to insteall wino mono that I linked for what I assumed was the solution to "Wine Mono is not installed" error I kept getting.
What web solutions found when you searched using the terms "Wine Mono is not installed", were not sufficient to help you resolve this?

Top solution: https://wiki.winehq.org/Mono

Sorry but this is the best assistance I can provide for you at this time.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Blank screen after Discord update. Gumboherpy Slackware 6 10-20-2017 06:14 PM
[SOLVED] KDE launch display No Signal (after wine Steam Deus Ex launch crash) KGHN Slackware 5 01-21-2015 10:38 PM
Wine won't launch anything TuxLives Mandriva 1 10-29-2006 03:48 AM
Installed WINE, but how to launch? Archaic Ubuntu 2 07-07-2005 09:44 AM
Wine Launch Trouble zmaint Linux - Newbie 1 09-20-2003 12:36 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration