LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #16
ciroreed
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
You could try just changing the entry to 'hd1,gpt3' or whatever the partition is. I don't use GPT but see that on other threads dealing with GPT. Simple enough to test if your partition table is still GPT.

Reviewing your more recent posts, it appears you have mis-read my earlier posts. The first method suggested in post 10 did come from a Puppy forum and seemed a little weird to me. I've never done any thing like that with any other Linux iso but it did boot. You got the steps right until the part about copying the sfs files. After loop mounting the slacko.iso, copy these two sfs files to the root of the partition, where you have the iso file: puppy_slacko_6.3.0.sfs zdrv_slacko_6.3.0.sfs When you then look at the partition, you should then see the two .sfs files, the slack.iso and the boot directory. Using the first menuentry I posted above should then boot Puppy.

The second method requires you to loop mount the slack.iso, then create a puppy directory on the flash drive on the root of the partition, and copy all the files from the loop mounted directory to the puppy directory on the flash drive and use the second menuentry I posted above and put in in your grub.cfg file on the flash drive. With this method, you are not booting the iso but rather the 'extracted' files and you can delete the iso file of slacko from the flash drive.
yep, yeah, I tested with msdos partition table and it throws the same error.

I never extracted the iso files... want to try without. Because most of the linux distros could boot as .iso :\

I just wonder why grub cannot read "puppy_slacko_6.3.0.sfs and zdrv_slacko_6.3.0.sfs" from the iso file

Later I'll post there the resutls, sure it will work properly many thanks!
 
Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #17
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Hi ciroreed,

Been away and just catching up on this thread ... I apologize for not having read your first post correctly. You are attempting to boot Puppy directly from an ISO file on your USB, correct ? This is not how Puppy boots from a removeable device. So my initial comments are incomplete.

As yancek has mentioned in at least one post, you have to extract the contents of the Puppy ISO file to a subdirectory on your USB drive and THEN make sure the appropriate kernel line options are set for the specific version of Puppy you are using and the method you are using it (removeable media, "frugal install", or full hard disk installation). The last method is not particularly recommended by the Puppy community, since Puppy is a root-user only distro. The removeable media and frugal (sort of a hybrid method) install are the recommended ways to go.

I have 2 versions of Puppy that I boot from a USB drive that I prepared with YUMI. I also use this same USB drive to boot all sorts of other distros and recovery tools. I recommend YUMI - it makes the configuration of each distro and tool rather painless, and it knows what to do with Puppy.

Essentially, it's what I mentioned above and what yancek has specified as well - Puppy relies on its main files that are formatted as a squash file system (the "sfs" files). At the very minimum, these must be present in a subdirectory that Puppy know where to look.

Hope this helps and, once again, apologies for having read your initial post too quickly and giving you incomplete advice.

Cheers.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,893

Rep: Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857
Quote:
I just wonder why grub cannot read "puppy_slacko_6.3.0.sfs and zdrv_slacko_6.3.0.sfs" from the iso file
Sorry but it's not Grub, it's the way Puppy is configured to boot. It needs the .sfs files at the same source as the .iso file so if you put the iso in the / (root) of a partition and the .sfs files in the / (root) of the partition, it will boot. If you extract all the Puppy files from the iso and create a directory in the / (root) of a partition and copy all the files there, Puppy will boot. This isn't necessary with most Linux distributions I have used. I have yet to come across any instructions to boot Puppy directly from the iso without modifications as mentioned above.
 
Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
ciroreed
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
Hi ciroreed,

Been away and just catching up on this thread ... I apologize for not having read your first post correctly. You are attempting to boot Puppy directly from an ISO file on your USB, correct ? This is not how Puppy boots from a removeable device. So my initial comments are incomplete.

As yancek has mentioned in at least one post, you have to extract the contents of the Puppy ISO file to a subdirectory on your USB drive and THEN make sure the appropriate kernel line options are set for the specific version of Puppy you are using and the method you are using it (removeable media, "frugal install", or full hard disk installation). The last method is not particularly recommended by the Puppy community, since Puppy is a root-user only distro. The removeable media and frugal (sort of a hybrid method) install are the recommended ways to go.

I have 2 versions of Puppy that I boot from a USB drive that I prepared with YUMI. I also use this same USB drive to boot all sorts of other distros and recovery tools. I recommend YUMI - it makes the configuration of each distro and tool rather painless, and it knows what to do with Puppy.

Essentially, it's what I mentioned above and what yancek has specified as well - Puppy relies on its main files that are formatted as a squash file system (the "sfs" files). At the very minimum, these must be present in a subdirectory that Puppy know where to look.

Hope this helps and, once again, apologies for having read your initial post too quickly and giving you incomplete advice.

Cheers.
thanks mate, btw I misunderstand both you but i learned a lot
 
Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #20
ciroreed
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Sorry but it's not Grub, it's the way Puppy is configured to boot. It needs the .sfs files at the same source as the .iso file so if you put the iso in the / (root) of a partition and the .sfs files in the / (root) of the partition, it will boot. If you extract all the Puppy files from the iso and create a directory in the / (root) of a partition and copy all the files there, Puppy will boot. This isn't necessary with most Linux distributions I have used. I have yet to come across any instructions to boot Puppy directly from the iso without modifications as mentioned above.
Okay, Thanks! I just wonder how the F*** he achieve it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M1ufJVxJmU
 
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,893

Rep: Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857
Quote:
Okay, Thanks! I just wonder how the F*** he achieve it
I'm not sure what he did but he didn't post enough info for anyone to know. If you look at the menuentry he shows for Puppy you will see that on the linux line he has: boot=live config. Those are entries used on a Debian iso to boot it because extracting a Debian iso, you will see a 'live' directory which contains the squashfs file. There is no 'live' directory on a Puppy iso so that would not do anything. I don't know what you had for an initrd file on your Puppy but, the one on the iso I used was 'initrd.gz' which has been the standard on every Puppy I tried. He is using "Quirky Puppy" which is not what I used so that may be the difference.
 
Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #22
ciroreed
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
I don't know what you had for an initrd file on your Puppy but, the one on the iso I used was 'initrd.gz' which has been the standard on every Puppy I tried.
I think its the same for every puppy. I have 'initrd.gz' too

well, thank you again

Im gonna mark this thread as solved
 
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #23
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,893

Rep: Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857
Quote:
I think its the same for every puppy. I have 'initrd.gz' too
Turns out it's not and the entry initrd.q shown in the video is correct for quirky puppy. I downloaded quirky puppy yesterday and it's actually named "april-7.2.1.iso" and put the iso file in the root of my sdb3 partition with the entry below and it booted right up. I didn't make any changes, just put the iso in the root of the directory and didn't need to extract and put the sfs files in the root. I guess there is something different about Quirky. I didn't use the "boot=live config" parameters from the video because they are useless. The isolinux.cfg file on the quirky iso had the "rootwait rw" parameters so I used them to try booting Slacko again and that failed even though the only change being the iso file name.

Quote:
menuentry "Puppy Quirky" {
set isofile="/april-7.2.1.iso"
loopback loop (hd1,msdos3)$isofile
linux (loop)/vmlinuz rootwait rw
initrd (loop)/initrd.q
}
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #24
Rickkkk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,234

Rep: Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Turns out it's not and the entry initrd.q shown in the video is correct for quirky puppy. I downloaded quirky puppy yesterday and it's actually named "april-7.2.1.iso" and put the iso file in the root of my sdb3 partition with the entry below and it booted right up. I didn't make any changes, just put the iso in the root of the directory and didn't need to extract and put the sfs files in the root. I guess there is something different about Quirky. I didn't use the "boot=live config" parameters from the video because they are useless. The isolinux.cfg file on the quirky iso had the "rootwait rw" parameters so I used them to try booting Slacko again and that failed even though the only change being the iso file name.
... Good to know - I hadn't seen a directly bootable ISO of Puppy yet ...

Thanks yancek.
 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #25
ciroreed
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Turns out it's not and the entry initrd.q shown in the video is correct for quirky puppy. I downloaded quirky puppy yesterday and it's actually named "april-7.2.1.iso" and put the iso file in the root of my sdb3 partition with the entry below and it booted right up. I didn't make any changes, just put the iso in the root of the directory and didn't need to extract and put the sfs files in the root. I guess there is something different about Quirky. I didn't use the "boot=live config" parameters from the video because they are useless. The isolinux.cfg file on the quirky iso had the "rootwait rw" parameters so I used them to try booting Slacko again and that failed even though the only change being the iso file name.
I'll try to see it

Thanks to share this!
 
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,893

Rep: Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857
Quote:
I hadn't seen a directly bootable ISO of Puppy yet ...
Neither had I. I've generally used the second method I posted (post 10) of extracting the folders/files from the iso using a loop mount and in the case of puppy, creating a puppy directory in the / of the partition where Grub was and booting that way. When I first started doing this with Grub Legacy it was the only way as an iso could not be booted and it almost always worked with any distribution.

The first method in that post of copying the .sfs files to the / of the partition worked with Slacko but it almost doubled the size of the puppy files since the .sfs files are also part of the iso so the total puppy files were almost 400MB. If the iso can't be booted directly the way Quirky was, I'd use the extraction method. Takes up less space and also almost always works.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
boot, grub, puppy, usb


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] how to boot using grub from iso on usb stick ddsglq Linux Mint 13 09-08-2015 11:13 PM
[SOLVED] How to boot from GRUB version 1 on an ISO on the hard drive. kevinbenko Linux - Newbie 5 01-12-2013 10:17 AM
Grub File Not found Grub Rescue Error on External Sata to USB Drive imayneed Linux - Newbie 11 08-22-2012 03:56 AM
[SOLVED] how to boot to a Linux iso file image when installed onto a USB external hard drive ? james2b Linux - Newbie 2 11-30-2009 01:26 AM
boot from any .iso file on a USB pen drive browny_amiga Linux - General 10 04-07-2008 05:44 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration