LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 05:53 AM   #1
guilhermicas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2021
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cool Blue lines and screen jittering after any linux boot


I can use my laptop fine, but my screen jitters a lot and shows weird lines.
It is not a hardware related thing, because if i boot from USB or even go to BIOS, the screen is normal, the moment the system starts linux, the screen goes black for some seconds and when it turns back on, the problem starts (Currently on Lubuntu, but this has happened to me on arch on this same computer before and i tried switching).
I have linux-firmware installed that should take care of the drivers, and my gpu seems to be detected correctly, but the screen just jitters.
I think the problem might be related to the bootloader or Grub not setting my gpu settings correctly or something like that.

I can reply with logs or images/videos if needed.
 
Old 01-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,538
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilhermicas View Post
I can use my laptop fine, but my screen jitters a lot and shows weird lines.
It is not a hardware related thing, because if i boot from USB or even go to BIOS, the screen is normal, the moment the system starts linux, the screen goes black for some seconds and when it turns back on, the problem starts (Currently on Lubuntu, but this has happened to me on arch on this same computer before and i tried switching).
I have linux-firmware installed that should take care of the drivers, and my gpu seems to be detected correctly, but the screen just jitters.
I think the problem might be related to the bootloader or Grub not setting my gpu settings correctly or something like that.

I can reply with logs or images/videos if needed.
Somehow i doubt that you manually installed ArchLinux.
Be that as it may, show us
Code:
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
(text, not images/videos)
from the problematic install.
 
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
guilhermicas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2021
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
Somehow i doubt that you manually installed ArchLinux.
Be that as it may, show us
Code:
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
(text, not images/videos)
from the problematic install.
Personally i didn't think it was hard to install arch. Just the after install that at the time left me not knowing what to do (stupid missing fonts and dumb stuff alike)

The output of the command:
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Subsystem: AzureWave AW-NE771 802.11bgn Wireless Mini PCIe Card [AR9281]
 
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,538
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470
The open source radeon driver might have trouble with a 12 year old AMD GPU. I know this is true for NVIDIA, but nouveau is reverse-engineered, IDK about radeon.
Anyhow.
Usually it is said to be good enough for current cards.
You could look at the journal, maybe it can tell you more. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...roubleshooting
Of course the hardware could also be on its way out, but in my experience some sort of software/driver problem is much more likely.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #5
guilhermicas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2021
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
The open source radeon driver might have trouble with a 12 year old AMD GPU. I know this is true for NVIDIA, but nouveau is reverse-engineered, IDK about radeon.
Anyhow.
Usually it is said to be good enough for current cards.
You could look at the journal, maybe it can tell you more. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...roubleshooting
Of course the hardware could also be on its way out, but in my experience some sort of software/driver problem is much more likely.
Thank you for the information.
I still think that this problem needs a video to be understood, i've tried to change VSync, change Xorg radeon driver options, with no luck.
I will follow your troubleshooting link along with this ATI driver link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI
 
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #6
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,538
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879
It could also be about firmware. radeon often requires additional firmware.
Try to find relevant entries in
Code:
dmesg
Maybe you can grep like this:
Code:
dmesg | grep -iE 'direct-load|firmware|radeon|ati'
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Red Hat's new CEO on surviving inside Blue Blue: 'We don't participate in IBM's culture. It's that simple' LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-02-2020 03:41 PM
Edges of windows on Kubuntu jittering on Thinkpad T420 Dunked0n Linux - Software 10 01-03-2020 04:33 PM
Odd blue lines across screen - Display driver? vonedaddy Linux - Desktop 1 12-12-2013 11:42 AM
Shell script to find a string and print x lines before and y lines after the string igorza Linux - Newbie 6 04-18-2013 05:31 PM
Unable to boot Fedora 10 live cd past blue/light blue/white loading bar. Gfx issue? si1433 Linux - Newbie 1 11-28-2008 07:17 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration