LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Best Appearing Linux


Which linux distro is the best appearing linux? I mean in terms of looks.
I want to install it in my other PC. So need a suggestion.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
cizzi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Om View Post
Which linux distro is the best appearing linux? I mean in terms of looks.
I want to install it in my other PC. So need a suggestion.
I would say Gentoo by far since you can customize it and make use of your hardware very well. It looks sharp and clean. A very nice distro. If you have specific questions feel free to ask me.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzi View Post
I would say Gentoo by far since you can customize it and make use of your hardware very well. It looks sharp and clean. A very nice distro. If you have specific questions feel free to ask me.
Isn't gentoo for geeks ? i am a newbie. I have tried Sabayon, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Ultimate edition, pear OS and Mandriva some 3 years back. I liked mandrive then.
But none looks pleasing as windows. Is there an Linux OS which is on par with windows looks ?
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
cizzi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Om View Post
Isn't gentoo for geeks ? i am a newbie. I have tried Sabayon, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Ultimate edition, pear OS and Mandriva some 3 years back. I liked mandrive then.
But none looks pleasing as windows. Is there an Linux OS which is on par with windows looks ?
Ubuntu.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
moisespedro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,223

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
http://elementaryos.org/
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzi View Post
Ubuntu.
But Unity looks ugly . I don't like it!
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy

?????

Last edited by Master Om; 04-15-2014 at 11:10 PM.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
cizzi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Om View Post
But Unity looks ugly . I don't like it!
Its a trial and error process, took me a while to find mine, when I saw Gentoo I didn't look back.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzi View Post
Its a trial and error process, took me a while to find mine, when I saw Gentoo I didn't look back.
All I heard is Gentoo is fast. But Not user friendly. Is it true ? Answer from a newbie's perspective...

Last edited by Master Om; 04-15-2014 at 11:14 PM.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
cizzi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Om View Post
All I heard is Gentoo is fast. But Not user friendly. Is it true ? Answer from a newbie's perspective...
Its not for the average user I agree. More advanced level.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852Reputation: 4852
All of them. Linux can look like you want, it is totally configurable and you are not stuck to the default themes of any distro. If you want something that is very configurable in looks and behavior go for a distro with the KDE desktop and have a look at http://kde-look.org/ for themes and other stuff, but basically most of the desktop environments can be configured the way you like it.
Alternatively you can even start with a basic window manager, for example Openbox, and add all the eye-candy you want.
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzi View Post
Its not for the average user I agree. More advanced level.
So for a newbie ? Linux Mint ?
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
All of them. Linux can look like you want, it is totally configurable and you are not stuck to the default themes of any distro. If you want something that is very configurable in looks and behavior go for a distro with the KDE desktop and have a look at http://kde-look.org/ for themes and other stuff, but basically most of the desktop environments can be configured the way you like it.
Alternatively you can even start with a basic window manager, for example Openbox, and add all the eye-candy you want.
I am talking about eye candy. Which linux has it the best ?
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Master Om
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzi View Post
Its not for the average user I agree. More advanced level.
How is this possible to have a desktop like this ?

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/scr...2-eraindil.png
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
haertig
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Slackware, SysrescueCD, Raspbian
Posts: 2,207

Rep: Reputation: 341Reputation: 341Reputation: 341Reputation: 341
I prefer the clean simple desktop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Terminal.png
Views:	21
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	15254  
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux Installed, wrong GRUB appearing tylermcc Linux - Newbie 4 08-29-2013 01:14 PM
no icons appearing on linux lite desktop Little C Linux - Newbie 3 12-27-2008 12:44 PM
The disappearing and appearing linux machine using Samba. Tiyogi Linux - Networking 0 04-06-2004 10:16 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration