I have a CentOS based mail server, the mail software is called Zimbra. I have been given some info on how to backup this server. Basically I need to backup a directory name /opt/zimbra and save it in a safe place so if the server crashes, I could easily set up a new machine and swap them. This is the info I was given which advised me to use rsync and I just never used it before:
- rsync the zimbra directory while it is running to another location on the same server
- stop zimbra
- rsync --delete the zimbra directory to the same location used in the first step. This makes sure to backup the locked/changed files which is very important!
- start zimbra
- tar the location from the first step
- copy tar file to backup computer
Now my questions are:
1) Can someone please post the actual commands for step 1 and 3? I am planning to rsync to /home/backup/zimbra
Would that be something like:
rsync -avz servername: opt/zimbra /home/backup/zimbra
? Or I should add a trailing slash after /opt/zimbra? The reason I am asking this is because we will need to do a --delete and per the info I found on this page, we need to be careful and type the correct command: http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_rsync.htm
2) What other directoried on the server needs to be backed up? /etc or host file, etc?
Thanks in advance