LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Are there any disadvantages booting from the GRUB menu? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/are-there-any-disadvantages-booting-from-the-grub-menu-4175583200/)

Gregg Bell 06-27-2016 06:37 PM

Are there any disadvantages booting from the GRUB menu?
 
My computer takes 18 minutes to boot from the power switch. From the GRUB menu it boots in a minute or two. Are there any disadvantages to booting from the GRUB menu? Will I still get the software updates etc? Thanks.

jefro 06-27-2016 06:42 PM

"18 minutes" ???? There is something way wrong with that.

If you have a single distro then you can easily just let it bypass or quiet the menu.

If you have multiboot on grub then it usually does update the loader when you select upgrades. Grub doesn't have as much a reason to update. Not sure I recall any security issues. Maybe one a long time ago.

There are and have been a few loaders and ways to use multiboot over the last few decades. Some have stuck around more or less. None have been as popular as grub. Some may be faster, doubt any are more complete.

yancek 06-27-2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Are there any disadvantages to booting from the GRUB menu?
As opposed to booting with what? Unless your computer was manufactured in the early 1990's or earlier, there is something major wrong if it is taking that long to boot.

On some systems if you do a kernel update they will run the grub-mkconfig script to update Grub. Otherwise software updates have nothing to do with Grub.

frankbell 06-27-2016 10:45 PM

I agree with jefro. Something's wrong.

Is the delay occurring after booting starts, or is the computer sitting at the GRUB menu for, say, 15 minutes before booting starts, and the boot process proceeds normally? If it is the latter, it could be that the GRUB delay is set wrong. That can be adjusted: http://askubuntu.com/questions/14809...ult-boot-entry

If the delay is occurring during the boot process itself, that is, the GRUB menu goes away, booting starts, and you have enough time to grill a steak before you get to the login screen, then I would think your install is seriously borked.

In any event, if you are in the GRUB menu and move the cursor to the desired boot option and hit [enter] and the boot then proceeds normally, that should in no way damage your system.

Gregg Bell 06-27-2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 5567101)
"18 minutes" ???? There is something way wrong with that.

If you have a single distro then you can easily just let it bypass or quiet the menu.

If you have multiboot on grub then it usually does update the loader when you select upgrades. Grub doesn't have as much a reason to update. Not sure I recall any security issues. Maybe one a long time ago.

There are and have been a few loaders and ways to use multiboot over the last few decades. Some have stuck around more or less. None have been as popular as grub. Some may be faster, doubt any are more complete.

Thanks jefro. I know something's wrong. I've tried to figure it out endlessly (with tons of help) but no luck.

I only have Xubuntu 16.04LTS on it. What do you mean by bypass or quiet the menu?

And so if I boot from GRUB I should get all the Xubuntu software updates?

Gregg Bell 06-27-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yancek (Post 5567185)
As opposed to booting with what? Unless your computer was manufactured in the early 1990's or earlier, there is something major wrong if it is taking that long to boot.

On some systems if you do a kernel update they will run the grub-mkconfig script to update Grub. Otherwise software updates have nothing to do with Grub.

Thanks yancek. My bad. I should've said I knew something was wrong with the 18 minute lag time.

So if I do choose my latest distro kernel from the GRUB menu (as opposed to just starting the computer with the power switch and waiting the 18 minutes) there will be no complications?

frankbell 06-27-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

And so if I boot from GRUB I should get all the Xubuntu software updates?
Yes. Once you start booting, GRUB has done its job and the rest is up to the OS.

Gregg Bell 06-27-2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 5567186)
I agree with jefro. Something's wrong.

Is the delay occurring after booting starts, or is the computer sitting at the GRUB menu for, say, 15 minutes before booting starts, and the boot process proceeds normally? If it is the latter, it could be that the GRUB delay is set wrong. That can be adjusted: http://askubuntu.com/questions/14809...ult-boot-entry

If the delay is occurring during the boot process itself, that is, the GRUB menu goes away, booting starts, and you have enough time to grill a steak before you get to the login screen, then I would think your install is seriously borked.

In any event, if you are in the GRUB menu and move the cursor to the desired boot option and hit [enter] and the boot then proceeds normally, that should in no way damage your system.

Thanks Frank. I know there's a problem with the delayed start. I just am not up for doing a fresh install right now and the computer comes on really quickly via the GRUB menu. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing things up (esp. with the software updates) by starting the computer that way.

Gregg Bell 06-27-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 5567200)
Yes. Once you start booting, GRUB has done its job and the rest is up to the OS.

Thanks Frank. That was my big concern. Appreciate it.

Ztcoracat 06-27-2016 11:48 PM

Look in "dmesg" and see what services are starting and what services you can eliminate.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1733299

I found a few articles online that people have said that the boot time increased after an upgrade.
Did you recently upgrade?

Here's how to speed things up in this link.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/76293...se-in-dmesg-ou

HTH

Gregg Bell 06-28-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztcoracat (Post 5567205)
Look in "dmesg" and see what services are starting and what services you can eliminate.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1733299

I found a few articles online that people have said that the boot time increased after an upgrade.
Did you recently upgrade?

Here's how to speed things up in this link.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/76293...se-in-dmesg-ou

HTH

Thanks Ztcoracat, Yes, the delay is due to a recent upgrade. I think at 18 minutes I really need to do a fresh install. Thanks for the link. Interesting in that things can be speeded up by disabling some services. Makes sense.

Ztcoracat 06-29-2016 01:27 PM

You're Welcome-;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.